Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2308 Lens

Hello

Funny timing about this topic.
    First of all, the pile of the NOS 2308's and the handfull of used I had
    have long since been sold.
    However I have found a company that produces a wide range of horns and wave guides that is interested in looking at a 2308 to see what it would take to get set up to make a run of them.
    I have been looking for a used 2308 that I could send to them, condition is not all that important, any one have one for sale or loan.
    Of all the 2308's I have had and now I need to find just one!

Mike Caldwell

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell
    Hello

Funny timing about this topic.
    First all of the pile of the NOS 2308's and the handfull of used I had
    have long since been sold.
    However I have found a company that produces a wide range of horns and wave guides that is interested in looking at a 2308 to see waht it would take to get set up to make a run of them.
    I have been looking for a used 2308 that I could send to them, condition is not all that important, any one have on for sale or loan.
    Of all the 2308's I have had and now I need to find just one!

Mike Caldwell
    They continually show up on ePay. Sure it's going to cost a few more $$$ that way, but that's a tiny portion of the ultimate cost that it would take to bring such a product to market. R&D costs.

2308 repro lenses

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin
    I thought that was already a generic knock-off floating around at a greatly reduced cost.
    I remember years ago getting some dirt cheap plastic reproductions from a company called Image *something*
    Image Audio?
    Image Electronics?
    They also sold the Waldom recone kits, and many brands of speakers/drivers at semi-wholesale prices.

Ring a bell with anyone?
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

I have a beat up one I could send you. PM me if interested

Quote Originally Posted by glen
    I remember years ago getting some dirt cheap plastic reproductions from a company called Image *something*
    Image Audio?
    Image Electronics?
    They also sold the Waldom recone kits, and many brands of speakers/drivers at semi-wholesale prices.

Ring a bell with anyone?
    In a prior thread I also mentioned that there was a gent who informed me about the reproductions, and I actually remember seeing them on the 'net at the time. The reproductions had slight variations such as the width of the plates, and maybe the count differed by one. I spent quite a bit of time searching the web for these a couple weeks ago and came up empty.

You can still buy the Lense from JBL a previously post by Giskard.

I don't know the stock situation though.

I worked out why so many are chipped, they have a habbit of falling off.

I found these pics of speakers with nicely made copies of 2308's on a japanese website

frank
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
    Has anybody tried to make their own?
    Another Japanese custom 2308 style lens on 4355s.
    Looks like it's made of wood.

glen

RIP 2009
    All we see is a red X. I don't think Geocities allows linking to pics at their site - if you see it it's probably in your Internet cache. Save the pic to your computer and the attach it to the message. Or it can be viewed if you directly paste the link into your browser.

John

I love this thread as I've been looking for an acoustic lens for my LE15/375/075 project and have thoughts of making something. I like the Japanese knock off. Looks like it would never fall off or chip!

I didn't see the image either - so I downloaded that wood lense image from Geocities Japan - and it was over the filesize of 390k (1024px wide, too!) so I resized it to 2/3 and am uploading the resulting 200k file so its available to all readers of this thread.
    Original image is at: http://www.geocities.jp/nobita_desu_.../dcx2496-4.jpg

(One problem with the free Geocities accounts is that they have hourly bandwidth limitations that will block the site once the hourly limit is reached)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by Val
    I love this thread as I've been looking for an acoustic lens for my LE15/375/075 project and have thoughts of making something. I like the Japanese knock off. Looks like it would never fall off or chip!
    I have a pair of Champagne HL89s horns and lenses where one lens was narrowed to 15-1/4" so the guy could mount it above a 15" woofer on a narrow baffle. The other lens has a hacksaw cut in the back of one of the wavy plates, but if this lens were also narrowed to 15-1/4", the cut would be on the exces waste piece. Other than that, they are in good shape with no dents or bends.

I'll let the set of four (two horns and two lenses) go for $375 plus shipping from 92705 to a LH member. Would make a nice project for someone.

paragon

Sh..

Doesn`t fit

Per Glen's post- Image Communications

If anyone is interested, Image Communications in Bedford Park, Illinois has some of these lenses available. They were originally part of their Epitome Accessories listed as "Lens L-11 Plastic Deflection 10 layers 10"w x 3.5"h x 5.5" Overall Height". There is a tiny picture in their catalogue that suggests it looks like a 2308 lense. I called them to find out if they still had stock available but unfortunately they don't. HOWEVER ,They now carry the L-10 lens which has nearly the same dimensions (which I seem to have misplaced). In any case, if anyone is interested in a set, they are $9.00 per lense. I don't know if Image will sell to the general public, but I still have an account there so I'd be glad to be of assistance if necessary. I beleive that they also have a $50.00 minimum purchase. No website.

Quote Originally Posted by wpod
    If anyone is interested, Image Communications in Bedford Park, Illinois . I don't know if Image will sell to the general public, but I still have an account there so I'd be glad to be of assistance if necessary. I believe that they also have a $50.00 minimum purchase. No website.
    Thanks for dredging up the name & location wpod. I placed a $50+ order with them years ago, they had so much fun stuff in their catalog it was REALLY EASY to exceed that minimum.

maybe it's time for me to get another catalog...
    glen

Thread Information