Thread: came just this close (HPM100's)........

came just this close........

to picking up a pair of hpm 100s that looked to be in great shape. $200 and a 2hr drive to get them . but i hesitated at the last second because ,and let there be no doubt, i love my l-100s ,i love my 4312s,i love my 4311bs,i love my l-96s,i love my 4412s,and i love my 4408s, i had never heard a pair and did not know if they would sound good to me. they are gone .i am open to any and all info ,thoughts ,options,facts,ect. so if this situation presents itself again ,i may be better informed.happy and great new year to all ,bill.

Oppurtunity comes knocking! Again

norealtalent
    I have a lot of respect for the HPM100. They were exceptional for Pioneer. I used to think I would take that quasi 4-way design over the L100 until I had the opportunity to compare side by side in my own environment. They're both great speakers for what they are but I'm hooked on that JBL bottom. Pioneer don't have it.

I bought an excellent pair for $200 a few years ago just to explore the hype; they are no great shakes at all. Pull the drivers and look at them, and compare to comparable JBL stuff and you tell me..................................

I gave them to a nephew a few months later.

norealtalent
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    I bought an excellent pair for $200 a few years ago just to explore the hype; they are no great shakes at all. Pull the drivers and look at them, and compare to comparable JBL stuff and you tell me..................................

I gave them to a nephew a few months later.
    Yea, pull the drivers and take a look: all cast aluminum, just like JBL. Well, not just like JBL but they're a damn nice speaker for what they are and what they cost. What are you going to buy today for that kind of money? I know, how about a nice pair of vinyl coated JBL LX55's?

Quote Originally Posted by norealtalent
    just like JBL. Well, not just like JBL
    Well which is it? Not JBL? Then why say just like JBL? Unless I got deceived, the drivers I pulled out didn't look like any great quality at all.............

I'll take the LX55's for about $100/pair at going ebay rates. Maybe it's vinyl, but it sure *looks* like wood and they are damn heavy and pretty well constructed. Not a 4313b mind you, but you gonna find something better for $100/pair ?
    Good Luck - even a cheapie computer 3-pc speaker set will run you that....

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by norealtalent
    Yea, pull the drivers and take a look: all cast aluminum, just like JBL. Well, not just like JBL but they're a damn nice speaker for what they are and what they cost. What are you going to buy today for that kind of money? I know, how about a nice pair of vinyl coated JBL LX55's?

norealtalent
    Quote Originally Posted by jblnut
    I'll take the LX55's for about $100/pair at going ebay rates. Maybe it's vinyl, but it sure *looks* like wood and they are damn heavy and pretty well constructed. Not a 4313b mind you, but you gonna find something better for $100/pair ?
    Good Luck - even a cheapie computer 3-pc speaker set will run you that....

jblnut
    L40, L26 No ear plugs required.

norealtalent
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    Well which is it? Not JBL? Then why say just like JBL? Unless I got deceived, the drivers I pulled out didn't look like any great quality at all.............
    Must be somebody swapped your components. Stock HPM drivers are high quality cast aluminum, excepting the ribbon tweeter, of course. Why say just like JBL? Because they are, in that regard. Why say not just like JBL? Put them side by side and listen. I've had many pair of both. I stand by my opinion, HPM 100's are great speakers, for what they are. So are L100's but then all thats left of mine are the cabs and xovers. LX55's went to my cousins basement for his kids.

I seem to recall the woofer frame, but the mid looked like cheapo crap, and it seemed by model# etc. to be the correct mid. Ditto tweet. Oh well, whatever.

I'd have to agree that the overall quality of the HPM100 was on par with the L100. Like many upper end Japanese audio products they never got the respect they deserved.

Mike

242 dollars with 3 hours to go, that is not bad for a japanese speaker from way back.

Well, History Time

Remember who's responsible for the HPM100, think it's BL, but CRS - ring a bell or is everything fuzzy

Thread Information