Thread: 2235 recone

2235 recone

I have a pair of L300's that I "thought" I had the surrounds of the 136A woofers replaced about 10 years ago. The reason I am posting is that after reading lots of threads on here about reconing with the 2235 kits I decided to inspect the surrounds and pull my woofers and see what they look like from the back because the cones look different from the front. What I discovered was that the darker looking woofer had "2235A" and a date written with marker on the back of the cone. The other woofer is a lighter, dustier looking color and it had "2231A" written on the back of the cone. This woofer looks like the surround is coming unglued from the cone. The only thing I can figure is that the place I brought the woofers to 10 years ago may have replaced the surround on the one and reconed the other. I definately want to get the 2231A marked woofer redone with a "2235" kit and since I'm basically a fanatic I am wondering whether I should get BOTH of them redone? I forgot to mention that I am the original owner of these speakers.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino
    I definately want to get the 2231A marked woofer redone with a "2235" kit and since I'm basically a fanatic I am wondering whether I should get BOTH of them redone?
    Yes.

If you are going to recone why don't you try to save the cones and coils for some of the guru's on this forum that could use them to resurrect ancient jbl,s that need some rehab?

I'll probably have Brandywine Electronics in New Castle, DE. recone them so I'll ask if they can save the parts for me. They are currectly doing (2) LE10H woofers for me that are from my 4313B's.

If you got some M.E.K. with a cotton swab soak the glue joint where the spider mounts to basket, and try to gently release the bond so as not to damage the spider. Also cut or de-solder the leads from terminals and if the foam is already gone gently pull out the assembly. Clean up the cores before you get them reconed and maybe they will give you a better deal on the reconing? You got nothing to lose and knowledge to gain. Just make sure you have fresh air when working with M.E.K.

Rehab ???

Quote Originally Posted by John
    If you are going to recone why don't you try to save the cones and coils for some of the guru's on this forum that could use them to resurrect ancient jbl,s that need some rehab?

Why do you say rehab ? Has the forum been talking behind my back again ?

It's not paranoia if they are really out to get you
    LE15-Thumper
    "Give me JBL, or give me death"

Thread Information