Thread: computer help

computer help

I have limited knowledge of computers. Downloaded True RTA, a free program, but limited. It works, and was able to even out response. My problem is the laptop, Dell inspiron 5000 W/98 has a built in microphone. I used a mono mini jack into the side w/ balanced transformer for the pro AKG mic to unbal into the computer. Watched it work with pink noise from a cd I have and made some corrections to the audio system. Then I find out that the internal mic of the computer still is working at the same time as my ext. mic. The mini plug I put in was mono,, tried a stereo mini not connected to anything into the side of the computer and the internal mic still was active. How do I stop internal mic? no hammer solutions please. Thanks.

Hey Larrence

What's up???

What happens if you go into the Windows Mixer and mute it there. Bring the outside Microphone in through one of the high level inputs???

Rob

Thanks Rob, will try that soon. Don't know how to navigate around the programs, will find a solution eventually. Nothing urgent, just playing around with it. LHF

Hi, L.H.F.

Follow this sequence to get to where you can control your mic(s);

Start>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices,

The "Voice" page allows mic configuration and testing.

Some computer mic inputs require a TRS mini (3-cond), even though it's a mono mic.

There are some amazingly good PC mics you can plug right in, just check the response data before selecting one. As long as you've got an accurate response graph for your mic, you can write a cal file to flatten the apparent response. For accuracy, you'll want to use a cal file with TrueRTA for ANY mic, after doing the automatic sound card loop calibration. Otherwise, your readings will all be colored by the mic response peaks and dips.

Got it Moldy, took me some time. Usuing mic pre-amp into line-in on computer now. Older computer, this program needs lots of horsepower, and I must compromise on RTA settings or run out of cpu speed. Thanks for the reply. L.

Thread Information