Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4344 Project

4344 Project

Here's some pics of my second 4344 cabinet going together. I thought some of you guys might like to see the puzzle pieces going together. I missed the opportunity to get pics on the first cabinet. Thought I'd post these in a separate thread, rather than cluttering up Ian's 4343/4344 thread. If the mods determine that they are better placed in that thread then please move the info there. More when I get them covered with veneer. Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images      

4344 Project

4344 pics-2

4344 Project

4344 Pics-3

4344 Project

4344 Pics-4

4344 Project

4344 Pics-5

Stellar Job

Hi Rick, looks like your using inch and a quarter P.B. Look better than factory
    Do you live in Illinois

No, not 1 1/4", just regular ole 1" with a bunch of braces. I'm just down the road from you in Joliet. Rick

Thought so we met a couple of years ago. I think you got some 2461 drivers
    from me. Send me your phone# P.M.

Textbook Perfect

Nice work! What technique did you use to cut out the relief for the horn flange?
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Rick,

Outstanding!

I think you should publish a book about building JBL loudspeaker enclosures.

Ian

Nice Work!

I don't understand the need for the center recessed panel on the back though. Wouldn't it have been easier to just leave the back as a solid piece which would also added a nice chunk of interior volume?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Rick,

Outstanding!

I think you should publish a book about building JBL loudspeaker enclosures.

Ian
    Thanx Ian: If you see enough of them, and I'm sure you have, after a while it's not too hard to figure out how they go together. I just make hand drawings of every cabinet I have the opportunity to see and go from there. Regards - Rick

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin
    Nice Work!

I don't understand the need for the center recessed panel on the back though. Wouldn't it have been easier to just leave the back as a solid piece which would also added a nice chunk of interior volume?
    Fair Question - Since there are NO x-overs available for the 4344 this project will require a custom built cross over package. I decided to mount all x-over components external to the cabinet interior volume. The recess in the back is where they will mount. Easy access to the x-over components and as I learn about what's good and bad, I can make changes without tearing into the cabinet. At this point I'm not sure where the end is on these speakers. There are many forum members who are quiite savy on various custom x-over options and I'm not one of them. I'm figuring this system will be a test bed and allow me to explore custom x-overs for the first time in my long long history of loving JBL. The factory 4344 is 41 3/8"H x 25"W x 15"D. This cabinet has the same height and width but is 17"D to compensate for the volume lost to the recess, so my internal volume is the same. Thanx for the question.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
    Nice work! What technique did you use to cut out the relief for the horn flange?
    I use plexi templates and a router to cut all of the baffle holes. After the 4 1/4" horn hole is cut thru the baffle I just layed a larger template over the hole on the back and cut the recess for the flange (1/4" deep). JBL did this on all of their monitors that were built with a 1" P.B. baffle - 4340, 4341, 4343, 4344, that I know of.

jandregg
    The horn in front of the flange on the h91 is only .5 inch deep. Is it longer on the horn your using. From the picture it looks like you left 3/4 inch.

John

Thread Information