Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Can You Design Me a Crossover That:

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    I guess I'm kind of surprised that the large coil has such a high DCR.
    Yes, me too. I'm used to using larger coils there. There'll likely have to be some level balancing once Todd gets them built. If we need a little more bass SPL, it'll be available there.
    I suspect anything you build these days will sound considerably better.
    That's been my experience. It's surprising what pleasing results can be obtained with off-the-shelf parts and a little effort to build them. I'm bettin' they'll make a substantial improvement in Todd's system.

His 2235's are a major upgrade; just have to get it all playing together, now....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Yes, me too. I'm used to using larger coils there. There'll likely have to be some level balancing once Todd gets them built. If we need a little more bass SPL, it'll be available there.
    That's been my experience. It's surprising what pleasing results can be obtained with off-the-shelf parts and a little effort to build them. I'm bettin' they'll make a substantial improvement in Todd's system.

His 2235's are a major upgrade; just have to get it all playing together, now....
    They have got to sound better than the 30-40+ year old N1200s currently in there, which probably used even smaller coils.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll wait until the end of the week to see if others chime in regarding using one make cap over another before making a parts purchase.

Now's the time to chime in..., anyone?

Obsolete
    I'd cut the DCR in front of the 2235H back to under 0.5 ohms.

This one then???

The Jantzen 15 gauge air core inductors offer a lower DCR alternative to the other Jantzen lines. They feature the same quality construction including high-purity copper wire wound to a +/- 3% tolerance, and the special Jantzen high-temperature baking process that eliminates the possibility of FM distortion. The perfect layer air core construction improves heat dissipation while eliminating hysteresis and any type of saturation distortion.
    • Inductance: 2.20 mH
    • Wire gauge: 15 AWG
    • DCR: .52 ohms
    • Power handling: 500 watts RMS
    • Dimensions: 2.32" Dia x 2.4" H

The 15 Ga Jantzen is more like what I've typically used.

How about the ERSE Super Q laminated core at 0.154 Ohms for just a few pennies more? I've been using those lately, largely, I confess, because of their convenient and stable mounting.

If my calculation is correct, that'd give 0.87 dB more drive to the 2235H and also improve the damping.

With that, the 20 Ohms added across the HF output of the original may not be needed, recovering that cost. Seems to me the 20 Ohms is just attenuation, no? There'll be some in the following N8000, anyway....

Obsolete
    I'd go with the ERSE Super Q's. I've used them in 4435's and 250Ti's.

I'd go with the ERSE Super Q's. I've used them in 4435's and 250Ti's.
    This one then. And here, I thought that the air core coils were perferred???? Is there a preferred orientation for the coils?

ERSE SUPER Q 2.2mH 16 GA 500W INDUCTOR
    Finally, a sonically superior magnetic core coil! The Super Q line features a specially shaped core that allows for optimal magnetic performance and increases the coil's effective permeability. The result is extremely low DC resistance, reduced distortion and very high saturation levels. The coils are encapsulated in a plastic housing, which eliminates any magneto striction distortion and makes mounting a breeze. The 500 watt power rating makes these coils perfect for high power prosound applications. All coils measure 4-1/2" L x 1-5/8" H and are made in the U.S.A. Recommended for frequencies 0Hz - 3000 Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin
    This one then. And here, I thought that the air core coils were perferred???? Is there a preferred orientation for the coils?
    You'll want to orient the axis of the coil 90° to any others, and keep them 3" away, minimum. Otherwise, there'll be crosstalk between the LF and HF sections via coupling.

Since building this biased (HF only) NL200t3, I've been unwrapping the black tape, bringing the leads out the similar bottom slots for a little neater lead dressing, and then re-wrapping.

Zilch's Wonder Cable feeds the HF, upper right. Yellow caps are the Theta bypassers, and that's two Mills MR's at the lower right. Wiring's on the reverse, not shown.

Input terminals on mine go out the back of the board and through a secondary masonite board recessed on the the rear of the cabinet, mounted from inside. You can see the Dayton 091-124x binding posts ($6.88/pair) offer plenty of length and adjustability to work with that. They also take up to 8 Ga wire, for those believers:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information