Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AudioControl RTA question

AudioControl RTA question

I have been looking for decent RTA for a couple of years. Primarily an Audiocontrol 3050A. There is a 3050 on ebay now
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true

What could I expect to pay for a microphone for this and how hard would it be to find one. Also is there anything else needed to go with this I would have to purchase. I think a few forumites have something similar.

Hey, Andre...

Pricing is an eBay question, although any suitable reference mic will work, fine. Earthworks has some great models, but they can be pricy.

AudioControl works great, and once saved a show for me (that is for the the bands...) where I was there as audience and happened to have it in the truck, but where the house soundguy didn't show-up!!

(edited down to a more relevant response...)
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

You have to go to Audio Control to get there mics.I don"t remember the cost.Just give em a call.

I have never seen just the mic on eBay (not that stranger things havent shown up)
    Any flat reference mic will do the analyazation function.Only the Audio Control mic will allow the readout of the CORRECT sound pressure level.

Oldmics (I gotta blue LED one!!!!)

Oh yeah,See if the batterys are OK inside the unit as these can be pricy to replace.

These are a very good unit, I own 2 of them. At 400.00 BIN it would be a bargain with the mic. Without a mic it’s an ok price. The printer port is useless unless you need it. If all you’re using it for is setting up a permanent room ya don't need the battery pack or the printer port.

Now, for 400.00 I would buy the PAA3. This is an fantastic tool. Steve Schell tried mine and immediately went out and got 2 of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Phonic-PAA3-Pro-Audio-Analyzer-USB-Interface-AWESOME_W0QQitemZ7362670201QQcategoryZ47094QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I never use the 3050A any more. This tool will amaze you. You can walk into a venue, run pink noise through the mains and take 5-10 measurements from different locations saving them to memory. Then you tag those memory locations and tell the unit to average them. It then allows you to store that result in another memory setting and immediately displays the +- db settings for every 1/3 octave from 20 to 20k.

Just set your 1/3 octave eq to what it says. Done in 5 minutes.

Fine tune by running one more analysis.

Ken

I have to place an add here for the Behringer DEQ-2496. It has a 61 band RTA and uses FFT. The price is nice (the mic lists for $80) and can be had for $300;

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...base_id/106326

Although many members look down at it, many of us use it. The RTA alone is worth the price and it has many other features that are helpful even if you don't leave it in the signal path permanently.

No I don't work for them.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

what about software solution?
    http://www.medpot.net/forums/

daily volcano demo`s
    find out the truth
    tell`em morbo sent you

mention lansing heritage for 10% off

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    (edited down to a more relevant response...)
    RE: software...

Yea, that's why I edited this down. I went off on a lovefest about SmaartLIVE, but that's not what Andre was asking about...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I would love a computer solution, but it seems to cost more, and is not portable (i dont have a notebook) My needs are pretty simple, and portability pretty important. I will probably wait and look for a 3050 with a mike. It seems there havent been as many on ebay lately... If any forumites have one laying around they have replaced with something better, I could be talked out of some JBL stuff in trade PM me if interested.

To do my 4345 inspired (2122s, 2425/2308/2307, 2405)center channel project I am going to need one. I have everything else to triamp but as previously pointed out on other threads, setting it up by tin ear would defeat the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    RE: software...

Yea, that's why I edited this down. I went off on a lovefest about SmaartLIVE, but that's not what Andre was asking about...

thanks for that smaartlive suggestion bo
    I been playin with it since 5 am this morning am comming to grips with it now
    (I think)
    I would like to see some screen shots from other people who run this program just to get a handle on exactly where i should be trying to hit.

p.s for the price of the demo i would buy a cheap lappy and load win 98 up once a month
    http://www.medpot.net/forums/

daily volcano demo`s
    find out the truth
    tell`em morbo sent you

mention lansing heritage for 10% off

PAA2?

What about the PAA2? They are on ebay now. Anyone have experience with them?

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHONIC-PAA2-Pers...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    These are a very good unit, I own 2 of them. At 400.00 BIN it would be a bargain with the mic. Without a mic it’s an ok price. The printer port is useless unless you need it. If all you’re using it for is setting up a permanent room ya don't need the battery pack or the printer port.

Now, for 400.00 I would buy the PAA3. This is an fantastic tool. Steve Schell tried mine and immediately went out and got 2 of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Phonic-PAA3-Pro-Audio-Analyzer-USB-Interface-AWESOME_W0QQitemZ7362670201QQcategoryZ47094QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I never use the 3050A any more. This tool will amaze you. You can walk into a venue, run pink noise through the mains and take 5-10 measurements from different locations saving them to memory. Then you tag those memory locations and tell the unit to average them. It then allows you to store that result in another memory setting and immediately displays the +- db settings for every 1/3 octave from 20 to 20k.

Just set your 1/3 octave eq to what it says. Done in 5 minutes.

Fine tune by running one more analysis.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by morbo!
    I would like to see some screen shots from other people who run this program just to get a handle on exactly where i should be trying to hit.
    Dunno if that's helpful...

When wired properly and running the "Transfer" function (FFT), strive to get the line flat as possible. But, ensure you adjusted for / modelled the time-delay you're measuring. As well, do not ignore "Coherence", as that guides to what portions of the audio spectrum are even workable/salvagable...

I've found that after a proper and effective Transfer curve is achieved, the RTA curve will "resemble" that achieved after using pink noise. A frequency response curve that gently decreases with increasing frequency. Interesting...

Anyway, back to Andre.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

From what I can see it doesnt have USB connectivity (RS232 only?) The auction is up in an hour. I am going to jump in on it.

PAA2

No mention of USB...

From their website:

Features :
    • 31-band Real Time Spectrum Analyzer
    • Built-in calibrated measurement microphone
    • Sound Pressure Level Meter from 30dB~130dB
    • Line signal measurement display in dBu, dBV, or Voltage
    • A, C weighting or flat
    • 3 level range selection for dB SPL and line signal
    • Line signal measuring range:
    • dBu = -50 ~ +40dBu
    • dBV= -52 ~ +38dBV
    • Volts = 5mV ~ +80V
    • Maximum level display
    • Peak hold display
    • 4 standard response times: 35ms, 125ms (F), 250ms (M), 1sec (S)
    • 10 memories for measurement and 6 for average calculation
    • 31-band EQ setting level display (boost/cut)
    • 160 x 160 graphic display with back light and contrast adjustment
    • Phase checker
    • SPL meter Calibration through sound level calibrator (eg: B & K Type 4231)
    • Noise generator with pink noise, 1K Hz and polarity test signal, balanced output
    • Low power consumption for over 4 hours continuous operation with 4 AA size alkaline batteries (Adapter power supply operation available. When power is used from adapter, it automatically cuts off battery power)
    • 3 power modes: (1) Power saving mode: Auto Off- when none of the buttons has been pressed for 15 minutes (2) Manual Off (3) Off
    • XLR input and output sockets
    • RS232 communication port, for simultaneous operation through laptop or PC
    • One CD-ROM with audio test signals and software for PC
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

What about an audio spectrum anaylzer instead?

Couldnt one use an audio spectrum analyzer and a calibrated mic instead of an RTA? If you did would you need a preamp for the mic? I have always thought spectrum anyalyzers are about the coolest piece of test equipment I could aspire to. My read is that it might be much more flexible and useful for other fun projects

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by andresohc
    Couldnt one use an audio spectrum analyzer and a calibrated mic instead of an RTA?
    Isn't an RTA just another audio spectrum analyzer, or are you talking something real sophisticated, like CLIO or SMAART?

John

Thread Information