Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Altec vs. JBL vs. TAD

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    The Tad 4003 is a different sound again . . . .
    That's what I hear.

David

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Ditto this, though I am using them as treble low passed at 10K. Quite satisfactory.

Basically, I have not heard a convincing demonstration of the krinkled surround and rattling membrane for high frequency extension.
    Drop in ZilchLab next time you're down this way, David.

Ian and several other members heard them in 2452H-SLs running full out here a couple of weeks ago on nice Harman Consumer horns, and Mr. Widget had a brief audition subsequently, as well....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Drop in ZilchLab next time you're down this way, David.
    Thanks for the invite.

With the 2405's on top, assuming you rolloff the top end of the multi-cell, you should have no problem with lobing. The 2440's with the old softer Al diaphragms were really nice, rolling off on their own at about 5K. The newer Al and Ti diaphragms start biting at you though. The TAD TD-4001 is the hands down winner. You need to get an extra set of horn throats and cut them down and re-flange them for a 49.4mm throat. With the TAD's though, you will definitely have to roll off the high end and add the 2405's to prevent fingering, or lobing at 6 or 7K up.

Eric

I have TAD 4002 neo drivers, and they are very good. They most definitely do go up higher than my Al 2441,s, but I find them too polite sounding. The JBL still has more percussive, dynamic response. TAD is more resolving, and has more upper end response, but less lower midrange body.

I roll my mid horns off at 7K where my 2404 comes in. Thats a good operating procedure, it works.

However, I can fully understand and appreciate home users liking the TAD 4001, 4002, and 4003. They are smooth, and to me they are the compression drivers that dont sound like compression drivers. They are so smooth and non fatiguing and highly resolving, but sometimes, they are just too polite for me.

One thing I did, with a friend, we took two TAD 4002,s took the throat adpators off, making them 1.5in exit, and mounted them on suitable TAD horns! The HF improved dramatically. Lower mid response wasnt as good as 2in exit drivers, but, it was really good. Tweeters may not be neccesary with this setup, but proper xover alignment and EQ are critical.
    scottyj

Just FYI, Radian makes some really nice sounding compression drivers too. And they are cost effective.

Im not suggesting they are better than JBL or TAD, just a cost effective and good sounding alternative.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    One thing I did, with a friend, we took two TAD 4002,s took the throat adpators off, making them 1.5in exit, and mounted them on suitable TAD horns! The HF improved dramatically. Lower mid response wasnt as good as 2in exit drivers, but, it was really good. Tweeters may not be neccesary with this setup, but proper xover alignment and EQ are critical.
    The 1.5" exit 4003 is a real honey but still benefits enormously from a tweeter IME. The only JBL I've heard that might make me go back is the new 476Be - if it's ever available.

Thread Information