Thread: Granite for Enclosure face?

Question Granite for Enclosure face?

I'm in the kitchen business, and we do our granite counter tops "in house", with NC equipment. Over a period of time, we accumulate lots of material left over, and it suddenly dawned on me that it might make a great material for mounting speakers. The material we use is 3cm, and can easily be cut to any size with hole drillings for speaker mounting screws (with threaded inserts), along with any specified radius, etc. Would there be any interest in this?
    R Beardsley (BEAR)

There are some granite speakers posted in these forums, actually.

I'd say there'd be more interest in Corian and equals, if you do that as well....

I've seen the granite glued to the baffle with construction glue and the components including 15 " woofers fastened to the granite with silicone. Modest sized speakers ended up being near 400 lbs.

Jorg

Hi

Woody Banks has trail-blazed the way forward on this subject of using granite facings ( on speaker cabinetry ) .

Here's one shot of his stuff ;

It's from his wonderfully named thread called "Dr. Seuss Horn / 2206" which also has a bit of info in it on how to apply this cladding .

<>

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    There are some granite speakers posted in these forums, actually.

I'd say there'd be more interest in Corian and equals, if you do that as well....
    yep We do that too. I would have mentioned it, but thought Corian would be more resonant. There's quartz as well. Zodiac, Silestone, Ceasar Stone, etc.
    R Beardsley (BEAR)

I think Passlabs used granite for the Rushmore system.

I recall Wilson may have used Corian or similar at one point with the Watt puppies.

http://www.passlabs.com/speakers/rushmore.htm

00Robin
    There's a pair of round wooden ones like end tables only taller,with marble tops...I'll dig them up and post a link,they are really beautiful. I don't know about the sound,but...

Quote Originally Posted by 00Robin View Post
    There's a pair of round wooden ones like end tables only taller,with marble tops...I'll dig them up and post a link,they are really beautiful. I don't know about the sound,but...
    You must mean the Empire Grenedier

I have a set in my downstairs Bar.
    The longer you spend there, the better they sound.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

00Robin
    Quote Originally Posted by Art J. View Post
    You must mean the Empire Grenedier

I have a set in my downstairs Bar.
    The longer you spend there, the better they sound.
    YUP! They are at the same place in Ohio with the Wolverines in these little maple cabinets like bedside colonial-look tables I have along with my big dresser and mirror.

Do they really sound decent? Those and the Wolverines are on epay right

I spoke with the man,he's only 100 miles from me and he said they sound really good with just about any receiver,but especially tubes. For some reason I am SO interested in seeing and hearing them. Maybe I should take a drive,its hot and muggy today and tomorrow. His shop is FULL of stuff.
    Last edited by 00Robin; 10-06-2007 at 12:56 PM. Reason: lots of mistakes,sorry

Do they really sound decent?

Yes they do. They did best here in the smaller room placed just out from the corners.
    They really came alive then. Before that, I had them in the living room, either side
    of the couch like end tables, and the sound got a little lost. They are low efficiency
    you know. They are not in the same league with Altec's & JBL.
    They sure are a great novelty piece if you have a perfect place for them.
    I always receive complements on sound and appearance.

I wouldn't drive them very hard due to age. The cabinets are screwed and glued
    together making access nearly impossible without damage.
    Go for it........................................let us know.

Here is a link to an Oregon speaker company that uses granite with milled aluminum baffles. A little on the pricey side however. http://www.oregondv.com/Granite%20Speakers.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  

00Robin
    Thank you,Art. When you wrote they were in the basement by the bar and the longer they were there,the better they sounded,I was imagining like the prettier the girls were at closing time,or I would think the guys were getting better looking..yada..yada

Yeah, the man did say the reciever I was using on my Altecs would not be too hard on the Wolverines,its low wattage, I never asked about the marble tops,but when he said tubes are what REALLY brings out the sound,it wasn't science even to me to know these are the older,pretty things for seldom play and looking at. His prices are NOT in my area for seldom play to be pretty,but believe me. I would cherish having both sets. I'm at the point with my Altec's that I have this annoying bothersome problem of fear one or both may need something or be done and tired. 1958,same year as me and I'm not the limber gal either. I've enjoyed the hell out of my green boys and I adore them. But, The others DO attract my collectivity senses...

Very good Robin, I wouldn't pay that much either.
    I found my Empires at a garage sale years ago, real cheap.
    That's the way to find these old things. Makes them a lot more fun.
    Its great you picked up on my Bar humor but its true I received a
    lot of complements on them. Hope they didn't regret it in the morning.

Just remember that granite can ring like a bell. I worked on a system that had a spherical granite enclosure and it was resonate! The thing would ring with a very high Q. We had to use a lot of thick undercoat damping to minimize it, but it finially required internal crossbracing as well to apply pressure on the granite to stop it from ringing.

Eric

00Robin
    Thanks,Art. I appreciate that. It is a "if I win the lottery" type of thing. I LOVE them. But I know the impracticalities. And the man is steadfast. As he will be for a LONG time,unless that right person comes for the "pretties".*sigh*

I honestly believe I will be moving to the JBL side of things when the old bad boys do go. So far,they've loved me for a long,long time. I just dread it like a favorite dog. Its a dignity thing when it's time to go. But hey,they were cranking the Detroit radio like all get out all afternoon so...so versatile.

Thread Information