Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommendations for bluesy guitar CDs?

For excellent acoustic guitar recordings, check out the Narada label- Don Ross, Billy McLaughlin, Jesse Cook, you can even start with any of their fingerpicking samplers and not go wrong.

www.narada.com

je

greendale by neil young

nice bluesy sound.
    http://www.medpot.net/forums/

daily volcano demo`s
    find out the truth
    tell`em morbo sent you

mention lansing heritage for 10% off

For acoustic guitar and blues check out John Hammond and Keb Mo. They are a couple of my favs and I think you will enjoy both.

Without a doubt, Eric Clapton Unplugged. Just listen to the sound of that dobro on a set of JBLs and you'll feel like he's right in the room with you.

Just love this place!

I would like to express my appreciation again to all those who chipped in with their recommendations! Thank you! Surely I can't buy all those CDs at once, but I'll have a nice long list to work with in the coming months and years!

To you acoustic guitar fans, here's one that a friend of mine sent me for last Christmas. This CD's called Masterpiece Guitars, with Steve Howe (formerly of Yes) and Martin Taylor, the pair playing a slew of vintage guitars, a variety of Martins and Gibsons, Gretsch, and D'Angelico's Teardrop, and many other rare vintage guitars. Both the music and the recording are wonderful.

The Women

OK, I don't want to beat a dead horse. You have more than plenty of leads on great stuff, but either I missed some posts or we missed something. Women with mucho talent.

Two spring right to mind. The well known Bonnie Raitt is actually a world class slide player. The only white woman who may be a lot better (and a lot more traditional at this point in their careers) is Rory (real name Aurora) Block. Try and get a listen before buying - both are in the midst of long careers, and both have been stylisticly all over the map. I have one old Rory Block album I swear is disco.

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

If you get a chance check out Gillian Welch.Her guitarist,David Rawlings is a fine player.I have an old Larry Coryell album on vanguard with John Mclaughlin,Spaces,that is said to be the best fusion Album ever.Mclaughlin's early work like Extrapolation........so many fine players,Danny Gatton ,Duane Allmann,Django Reinhart,and lately I rediscovered Joe Pass Virtuoso who I had the pleasure of seeing live in his prime.I did see Rory Block and was impressed.Just checked out the shelves and there are very few female guitarists represented there.but one who is often overlooked is Joni Mitchell.Check out Hejira ,Blue ,or For the Roses.

Thumbs up CROSSROADS

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut
    I'll second the Robben Ford recommendation - pick up "Robben Ford and the Blue Line" to get started. If you have a DVD player, the Eric Clapton "Crossroads" benefit concert is KILLER. It has performances by many of the people mentioned here so you can get a broad cross-section of the blues.

I would also highly recommend Robert Randolph, who you'll see on the video. Nobody plays a 13-string pedal steel like that.

jblnut
    Agreed i have that album it also has a dts track as close as as you can get to sacd dvd audio quality sound. robert lockwood junior,hubert sumlin,bb king, buddy guy, jimmy vaugn, and many other great performers

Let's not forget Jerry Douglas,Rev. Gary Davis,Doc Watson,Leo Kottke,Buddy Miller,Dan Crary,and just to throw in a brit,Robin Trower.

add jimmy thackery (true stories) to the list also smokin joe kubeck, surge in the loin stuff

Thread Information