Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Violence in the Recording Studio

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell
    Turntables are not musical instruments
    Now that is flat-out ignorance.... The turntable is an instrument these days, as versitile as the guitar.

There is good natured hip-hop and rap. There is a lot that is along the lines of most rock that isn't 'good-natured' as much as it isn't 'bad-natured.' (If that makes sense.) I strongly urge everyone here to open their minds a bit and download a few songs. My favorite rap group is Jurrasic 5.... (If nothing else, check these guys out just to push those woofers of yours.)

Jurras Finish First - Jurrasic 5
    High Fidelity - Jurrasic 5
    Sum Of Us - Jurrasic 5
    Remember His Name - Jurrasic 5

Also, A Tribe Called Quest....

Scenero - A Tribe Called Quest
    Can I kick it - A Tribe Called Quest
    Vibrant Thing - A Tribe Called Quest

There are a bunch of others, but these are the two really artist really appericatable to a 'rocker.'
    Excuse my ignorance.

Sorry if I upset you dude.I do try to keep an open mind musically,and on any given day I can be found listening to anything from Monk to madrigals,Hank to hard rock,Hazel Dickens to heavy metal,Barbeque Bob to Beethoven......well you get the idea.And I do agree that the rap beats will excercise a woofer,but frankly there is more to it than that.Back in the day guys would play sound effects and railroad sounds thru their stereos and though it sounded good it wasnt Coltrane.I believe that there is or should be more to music than beats and scratch.Most of the bands I have seen with dj's probably would have sounded as good or better without or with another instrument.Composers like Brian Eno have used non instuments to make some fine music and in the hands of skilled composers almost anything will work.I know that the Killer (I know that he didnt mean Jerry Lewis)and Ritchie Valens upset America back in the day but that was the fifties.Todays soccer moms do aerobics to music that would have made my parents convulse.The bitches and ho's and bustin caps stuff,well that may offend some parents but most kids outgrow that stage eventually.Gil Scott Heron, Marvin Gaye and many others have articulated the street stuff and made some great music in the bargain.But who knows maybe I just havnt heard the real stuff yet.

JonathanKeehn
    If Satan wanted to corrupt our children today, he would get them hooked on drugs and make them listen to Rap music all day long. Rap music started out innocently enought with works of social commentary like "the message" by Grandmaster Flash, but has descended into the abyss of the most vile stuff that perverts can imagine. Rap music's mesmerizing influence, constantly pounded into the subconscious thoughts of our youth, is turning too many of them into social and criminal outcasts. Our whole society and culture is being being deadened and desensetized to evil while many media moguls are getting rich selling our kids this crap. Additionally, budget restrictions are forcing our high schools to abandon traditional music education, which compounds this problem. Albert Einstien once wrote: It is essential that the student acquire an understanding of and a lively feeling for values. He must acquire a vivid sense of the beautiful and of the morally good. Otherwise he - with his specialized knowledge - more closely resembles a well-trained dog than a harmoniously developed person." I think the crass commercialization of the music industry in the Rap music genre has hurt our country. I think parents have to get off their butts on this issue and show some leaderhip and take more responsibility for their kid's musical education, because music has such a profound impact on people today. It is everywhere. Take some control over those I-Pods. If you want to know where society is heading, listen to your children's music.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    and Prussian Blue is any better?

www.prussianblue.net/

point being that all types of music can have a negative influence on anyone...

JonathanKeehn
    Hate music is hate music - black, white, classical, rock, country - whatever form of music hate may be expressed through. It's not the musical genre, it's the motivation of the artist that can be offensive and destructive. There have been lots of books written that depict the emotional and physical destructive effects of certain types of music on a person - how it can affect blood pressure, stress hormone levels, immune system deficiencies, cause disease and produce anti-social behavior. The media moguls just want to take your money by addicting the major buying demographic to junk entertainment - electronic junk food. If our kids aren't well-guided by parents, they often get sucked in because "everybody's doing it.", Look up Eric Holmberg's The Power of Music on Google. Some interesting ideas.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeisuseless
    Now that is flat-out ignorance.... The turntable is an instrument these days, as versitile as the guitar.
    Now that is flat out ludicrous... Watch a video of SRV and witness first hand the versatility of the guitar.

BTW, everyone knows that Afternoon Delight, specifically the "Anchorman version", is the only song that is still worth listening to. I'm not sure of the musical genre, and more importantly, don't care; All I know is it's the only song to listen to.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    hate music is hate music; and yet if Satan gets involved...

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanKeehn
    If Satan wanted to corrupt our children today, he would get them hooked on drugs and make them listen to Rap music all day long.

and about the drug thing, does caffine count? how about refined sugar?

Opinions are like Most everybody has one Having said that IMHO RAP SUCKS, HIP HOP SUCKS. I listen to only classic rock and new country. THANK GOD my children haven't been sucked into this "hate, angry" music!
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

Thread Information