Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H/K AVR5000 question

pangea

H/K AVR5000 question

Anyone here familiar with the interiors of a H/K AVR5000? I think the US model is AVR500, but I'm not sure.

The problem I have, is that the receiver is quiet, unless I adjust the volume, manually or by remote, then there is sound, but very quiet, but it gets somewhat louder at max volume +10dB.
    As soon as I leave the volume, everything is quiet.

Does anyone have an idea, what might be wrong and how to fix it?

Many thanks in advance

AND

MERRY CHRISTMAS to every one!!!

BR
    Roland

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by pangea
    Does anyone have an idea, what might be wrong and how to fix it?
    Call H/K and have them swap it out with a new one.

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Call H/K and have them swap it out with a new one.
    But there is no warranty left on the receiver. I bought it two or three years ago.

Besides, I'm not sure they even have a repair shop in Sweden. I think I would have to ship it to Denmark.

I'm afraid the repair cost and the shipping cost might add up to what a new receiver will cost.

That's why I was thinking, perhaps someone here knows about this problem.

BR
    Roland

Obsolete
    Ah, ok. Sorry!

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Ah, ok. Sorry!
    No need to be sorry!!! I'm grateful for any suggestions!!!

BR
    Roland

A motor drive volume control?

When the motor's on, the drive is coupling to the signal path.

If it's a little PMDC motor, the brushes may be dirty and doing that....

I have the AVR (630 if my memory serves me, that last neuron in my brain is barely clinging to life )

It has a messed up volume control also that if I manually turn it down quickly will go to full output, sending several thousand watts of power into the living room, knocking my wife and small children feet up and getting me my mandatory daily butt kicking. If I use the remote it is fine. I have to open it up and see what the heck is going on and maybe get the switch replaced. If I ever figure it out I will PM you about it. Frustrating with a relatively new $1000 reciever.

Obsolete
    Maybe you can start here Roland and someone can step up to the plate and help you:

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_...sjump=&#active

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    A motor drive volume control?

When the motor's on, the drive is coupling to the signal path.

If it's a little PMDC motor, the brushes may be dirty and doing that....

Many thanks for the tip, which rises a few questions though.

Yes the volume is motorized.
    Do you think that motor would be mounted directly on the volume control, behind the front plate?
    There seems to be a lot of screws to remove, to get behind that front plate.

I've tried to turn the volume up and down quit extensively, but that doesn't seem to help.

Any idea, if those brushes can be cleaned, or if the motor has to be replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by andresohc
    I have the AVR (630 if my memory serves me, that last neuron in my brain is barely clinging to life )

It has a messed up volume control also that if I manually turn it down quickly will go to full output, sending several thousand watts of power into the living room, knocking my wife and small children feet up and getting me my mandatory daily butt kicking. If I use the remote it is fine. I have to open it up and see what the heck is going on and maybe get the switch replaced. If I ever figure it out I will PM you about it. Frustrating with a relatively new $1000 reciever.
    Many thanks! It seems many H/K receivers have problems with the volume control.
    Previously my H/K, had a similar problem, when I was trying to turn the volume up a little with the remote, the motor just went on up to max, all by it self! Then I read somewhere that certain receivers, coming from a particular plant in China, they supposedly had a robot, that didn't mount all the connectors right. I was then informed that if I could just check all the connectors, which might fix the problem and it did. After that the volume has behaved very well.

Naturally I went back to that same route, when the receiver went quiet, but this time it didn't help any.

Quote Originally Posted by Giscard
    Maybe you can start here Roland and someone can step up to the plate and help you:

http://www.harmankardon.com/product...&sjump=&#active
    Many thanks again! I went there and filled out a form, explaining the problem and hopefully, someone knows just what the problem is and how it can be fixed, but that won't be until after the holidays I guess.
    If they don't know what the problem is, I'll try to get behind the front plate and check out the motor, as the good Zilchster suggested.

BR
    Roland

Quote Originally Posted by pangea
    Many thanks for the tip, which rises a few questions though.

Yes the volume is motorized.
    Do you think that motor would be mounted directly on the volume control, behind the front plate?
    There seems to be a lot of screws to remove, to get behind that front plate.

I've tried to turn the volume up and down quit extensively, but that doesn't seem to help.

Any idea, if those brushes can be cleaned, or if the motor has to be replaced?
    If the motor is generating and inducing electrical noise into the system, it will likely need to be replaced. It's probably mass-produced and unserviceable. H/K technical assistance is your best bet on this one. Without some experience with that particular unit, I'd be reluctant to disassemble it from what you describe. Perhaps just live with it....

pangea

waiting and hoping

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    If the motor is generating and inducing electrical noise into the system, it will likely need to be replaced. It's probably mass-produced and unserviceable. H/K technical assistance is your best bet on this one. Without some experience with that particular unit, I'd be reluctant to disassemble it from what you describe. Perhaps just live with it....
    It's a bit difficult to live with a receiver that doesn't play music at all, unless I'm constantly jugging the volume, so I'm waiting and hoping that Harman can help me solve the problem.

BR
    Roland

pangea
    I got a reply from Harman, asking me to send it to them, not quite the answer I was hoping for though.

Meanwhile I have found out the power amp section is working fine, when I hook it up to another preamp.

Remains do find out what went wrong.

Anyone got some more ideas/suggestions? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

BR
    Roland

Problem with volume knob H/K AVR 5000

Did you find a solution to this problem? I'm having just the same issue with my receiver.

Same problem with volume AVR 5000

I also have same problem with the AVR 5000, only sound when turning the volume knob. Did anyone find a solution to the problem?
    Looks like many Scandinavian have this problem...

have you tried resetting to the factory defaults??

It worked on a similar problem I had with a Denon 3806CI

larry
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

Thread Information