Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: As a matter of interest or perhaps not

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith
    I follow your audio fest with interest and something comes to mind.
    What power amps were you using at the time cos you change em like underpants.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell
    I have heard Ken's system with both solid scrape and tube preamps, and I did find the tube job to be a big improvement. Of course my bias is for tube equipment anyway, after many years of trying lots of stuff.

Ken, one of these days I would love to hear your pair of big Westlakes with single ended 300B amps on mids and highs, and maybe a push pull 6B4G amp on the low end. Whaddya say?

Sounds like fun for sure and I would be happy to do it. And yes, you did hear the system using an Adcom 750 and the Tad just a week or two apart, I forgot about that. I am sure the others would agree had they had the opportunity.

Bottom line is, having had both I know the Tad is superior in many ways and I hope someone else gets a chance to experience it. I wish I could afford to buy a couple for some of you to try out.

That being said, I can't expect anyone else to agree without hearing the difference. I enjoy sharing what I believe are progressive changes in my system. Touch wood, other than screwing around with inferior crossovers (Ashly XR and Klark Teknik) every change has been for the better.

Enough said on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    Enough said on this subject.
    Any word on when you will be getting the Boulder amps back?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith
    Hi Ken
    I follow your audio fest with interest and something comes to mind.
    What power amps were you using at the time cos you change em like underpants.
    Are all the Boulders together or do we have a Heinz combo?
    I'm bemused and confused
    Michael
    Don't be confused, just read more carefully. I buy and sell a ton of stuff but have only used AB amps and Boulders on this speaker system. The Perreaux's and Brystons were all for resale. For this test a Boulder 500 was used on the bottoms and 2 Boulder 102's on the two horns. One AB was used on the 10" mid bass. Unfortunately 2 of the Boulders are at the factory getting new electrolytic’s so could not be used.

My initial impression of the 750 was very positive last year. I suppose I could have settled for that. But like Widget rebuilding his cabs to get them "just right" I too suffer from this crazy affliction and am always searching for an affordable upgrade, or to perfect a weak link in the chain. The buying and selling of gear gives me the means for improving what I have without using family funds.

I merely wanted to confirm what I thought a year ago and discovered I was right. There are alternatives to the Adcom 750 that are without a doubt superior for less money. Until you try it, you won't know it. I have stated a fact based on real listening experience's, not a guess. Take it or leave it.

No hard feelings though..... . If you don't believe the Adcom can be improved on by all means keep using it, its your business. I have done my part by sharing the experience.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Any word on when you will be getting the Boulder amps back?

Widget
    Well, I should have got them this week. I will call tomorrow.

Night All.

No hard feelings though.....

Don't get pissy, dood - the rest of your post belies that remark!

As Michael Smith noted, you make the effort and take the chance to swap-out more gear than most of us ever thought of doing. Some of your reports are complete; in others we just want to understand the conditions and test parameters. It helps increased the validity of the opinions.

Now, no resting for you - back to the testing!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam

Don't get pissy, dood - the rest of your post belies that remark!

As Michael Smith noted, you make the effort and take the chance to swap-out more gear than most of us ever thought of doing. Some of your reports are complete; in others we just want to understand the conditions and test parameters. It helps increased the validity of the opinions.

In reading back over the post, perhaps I was a bit "Pissy" as it was late which of course, is no excuse. I meant no offense.

However the statement "What power amps were you using at the time cos you change em like underpants." is simply not true and demanded clarification. I have only used AB's and Boulders. No other type of amplifier has been hooked up to the Westlakes in the 2 years I have had them. The only components that have gone through extensive swapping are my eq's (3 x); crossovers (3x) and preamp (4x). I have obtained some great insight by reading others opinions including a few of yours. I am just trying to "pay it forward". It was someone on this forum that convinced me to go the Boulder route based on his experience with the combination. He pushed hard and I am grateful because he was absolutely right.

One thing I have noticed is we all have strong opinions and in some cases will defend them with great vigor.

If I take the time to try and plant a curiosity seed on this forum, it’s with good intensions. I also understand that some may not give a damn what I think, hence the thread title " As a matter of interest or perhaps not".

I hope that clears the air...?

Have a great Christmas everyone.

Ken

Hi Ken...

I'd like to say that you're posts are of great insight and value. Your sharing of your experiences with your Westlakes and electronics is pretty cool reading. You seem to know what you're doing without being arrogant, and usually put your gentlemanly foot forward first. A nice give and take with the forum.

Are you going to tour Westlake Audio after CES? If so, when? I'd be interested in going along if it's okay...I'd even drive.

Please let me know

Merry Christmas to you too.

The "other" Ken
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    Hi Ken...

Are you going to tour Westlake Audio after CES? If so, when? I'd be interested in going along if it's okay...I'd even drive.

The "other" Ken
    I appreciate the kind words.

Yes we are, and in order to keep things fair (just in case more than a couple of extra people want to come) we should figure out a way of choosing who that may be. Any suggestions?

Along similar lines good friend of mine Gary knows a local dealer and has the opportunity to change out a lot of stuff.

He previously owner a AR SP9Mk11 and a Cary 35 + 35 Push Pull Triode, a Sota TT and McCormick line drive DAC, Teac transport and so on.

The SP9Mk11 is a hyprid valve preamp with Fets and he upgraded the PS with SCR capacitors. We regulary taste tested his stuff and he had a system with a nice synergy.

One day he heard a Cary SP90 preamp at the dealers shop and it looked stunning...gold front panel and bought it home...a pure valve preamp worth over $4K. I heard it and thought hmm that sure is valve (trad valve sound)..warm, lots of harmonics and a wow bass end and sound stage. It was different although I felt the SP9mk11 was more accurate but Gary insisted it sounded more convincing.

A week later the SP9Mk11 was traded in. I bit my tongue.

Gary then upgrade his speakers and changed (traded) a few other components in his system to pay for the SP90.

It was then he realised he had lost the magic and laments selling the SP9Mk11 was a mistake.

He found the guy with his SP9Mk11 but he refuses to sell it...hard luck.

The morel of the story is you may think what you now have is better than before and maybe that is true in your system.

But that does not mean to say it will be better for everyone else and nor may it be good when you decide to change something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Along similar lines good friend of mine Gary knows a local dealer and has the opportunity to change out a lot of stuff.

The morel of the story is you may think what you now have is better than before and maybe that is true in your system.

But that does not mean to say it will be better for everyone else and nor may it be good when you decide to change something else.
    A good example and a point well taken.

Ken

Yes we are, and in order to keep things fair (just in case more than a couple of extra people want to come) we should figure out a way of choosing who that may be. Any suggestions?
    That's a tough one...although how many others are firmly committed to go?

Maybe it will work itself out (?)
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    That's a tough one...although how many others are firmly committed to go?

Maybe it will work itself out (?)
    I'll get back to you and others on this in a seperate post.

Ken

Talking Me! Me! Pick me!

Well, I'm not going if more than one "Ken" is involved. One at a time, please.

OTOH, Ken I've never enjoyed a pair of speakers more than your Westies.* In fact, I even started a thread in their honor as you'll recall. At least once a week I have a dream that Julie tells you to give them to me because they just won't fit in the moving van. The dream ends with the Westies in the van and Julie on the curb. :shock:

*Okay, perhaps a bit of an exaggeration as a sucking up tactic. and actually, I don't think I'm in town that weekend.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Well, I'm not going if more than one "Ken" is involved. One at a time, please.

OTOH, Ken I've never enjoyed a pair of speakers more than your Westies.* In fact, I even started a thread in their honor as you'll recall. At least once a week I have a dream that Julie tells you to give them to me because they just won't fit in the moving van. The dream ends with the Westies in the van and Julie on the curb. :shock:

*Okay, perhaps a bit of an exaggeration as a sucking up tactic. and actually, I don't think I'm in town that weekend.
    Now thats funny, have a good Christmas and be safe.

Ken

Thread Information