Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if anything will happen?

What if anything will happen?

On that huge Pioneer sx1250 I told you I got at a garage sale has 3 sets of speaker hookups.This is what I want to do, Speaker A-Sov II'S 8ohm Speaker-B 4425's 8ohm and Speaker-C L5's 4ohm. Will I blow the amp up,am I asking for trouble? What are your recommendations? You all understand the addiction and this is why I must run 3 sets of JBL'S on this thing. I have to do it,there is no other way but only if I don't damage this receiver.Let me know your thoughts and thanks.

Note...Always remember that there is no such thing as a small JBL

I think that you would be OK with the Sovreigns and the 4425s at the same time, but I'd only run the L-5s by themselves, or with another amp.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjames
    On that huge Pioneer sx1250 I told you I got at a garage sale has 3 sets of speaker hookups.This is what I want to do, Speaker A-Sov II'S 8ohm Speaker-B 4425's 8ohm and Speaker-C L5's 4ohm. Will I blow the amp up,am I asking for trouble? What are your recommendations? You all understand the addiction and this is why I must run 3 sets of JBL'S on this thing. I have to do it,there is no other way but only if I don't damage this receiver.Let me know your thoughts and thanks.

Note...Always remember that there is no such thing as a small JBL

I'll say it again: if you're intending to run several sets of speakers in the same listening space playing the same program material concurrently, you're just creating a sonic mess of phase interference.

More is definitely NOT better in this case.

If you're running two systems off the same receiver, but the speakers are located in different rooms, obey the guidelines stated for your receiver, which typically say two 8-Ohm systems are the maximum load.

I know you were going to say that

I knew you all were going to say that. But your all right. I will put the L5's in my bedroom and run them by themselves. I guess I already knew I couldn't do it.hey' didn't hurt to ask. Thanks for your input.

Kingjames....

If you want to run 2 sets of your speakers in the same room...do it...it's yours.

Someone elses "sonic mess" might be your sonic nirvanha. Home theaters all around the world are run with mismatched speakers for front and surround...but it's not illegal. I'll agree that's it's not the best practice for "critical listening"...but at the end of the day...they're still your speakers and your room. Enjoy them however you will. Different strokes, different folks. Don't run more than two pair of 8 ohm at a time....and don't push the receiver too hard, or the system will tell you that's illegal...then suffer the death penalty.

Merry Christmas.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    Home theaters all around the world are run with mismatched speakers for front and surround...but it's not illegal.
    It's not insignificant, however, that surround speakers in home theaters around the world are not playing the same program material as the mains.

Mismatching is not the issue.

The principle is fundamental.

Anyone can violate it, as they please, of course, but it's important to understand and appreciate the consequences.

James,

You have one set of speakers, the sov II's that will deliver all of the clean spl's your receiver can provide. You will not gain anything but distortion and (as Mr Z. says) confusion in the sound field by playing a second set simultaneously, although you will probably find some relief in switching to the 4425's now and then.

David

Wink Just for accuracy

The L5 is rated at 6 Ohms (nominal) rather than 4 Ohms.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    It's not insignificant, however, that surround speakers in home theaters around the world are not playing the same program material as the mains.

Mismatching is not the issue.

The principle is fundamental.

Anyone can violate it, as they please, of course, but it's important to understand and appreciate the consequences.
    Indeed...mismatching does seem to be the issue....or you wouldn't be arguing if all 4 speakers in the room matched....well....OTOH, maybe you would
    Depending on the systems settings for music playback...they are sharing the same program. But time and again, someone here wants to impose "rules" on a members' visceral thrill of being surrounded by JBL greatness in the same space. Starts to feel like the "Thought Police" are on patrol. To "violate" the principals and it's consecquences sends shivers down my spine.

Oh...Merry Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames
    . . . . What are your recommendations? . . . . Let me know your thoughts . . . .
    Did anybody miss this part of the original post?

David

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    Did anybody miss this part of the original post?

David
    I didn't miss anything....and I gave my thoughts.

Merry Christmas.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    But time and again, someone here wants to impose "rules" on a members' visceral thrill of being surrounded by JBL greatness in the same space. Starts to feel like the "Thought Police" are on patrol. To "violate" the principals and it's consecquences sends shivers down my spine.
    It's just smack talk dude. I don't think anyone really cares. At least I hope they don't.

((((mmmmm))))

Pioneer SX 1250..... nice piece of gear .
    I love the way music makes me feel.

Exclamation I care. (extended smartass mix or "Giskard Opens the Door")

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    It's just smack talk dude. I don't think anyone really cares. At least I hope they don't.
    I care a lot. I think about it all the time. During the middle of an important meeting I'm thinking,

Lord help me, when will this get over? I NEED to check in at Lansing Heritage to see if anyone's off the right path. Gosh, what if someone needs guidance?

Why won't people do what I say? Why can't they see there's a wrong way and my way? I feel sooo bad that I can't correct more foolish behavior.

Geez, I hope no one is thinking of using horns right now. Why are people wasting their time on freaking horns? Titanium radiators baby, direct Titanium's the way. EVERYBODY should love Ti as much as I do, and all Ti tweeters must be in an EOS Waveguide, must, must, I tell you!

George Bush, I wish there was a way to get a Titanium Act through Congress, because it's, you know, the RIGHT thing to do, to protect Americans from themselves. It's a way to safeguard liberty through laws that limit freedom. Once everyone hears how Ti is the ONLY choice, they won't remember why they need a choice. THEN we can take Ti to the world, starting in nonTi countries in the Middle East.

No more horns! NO MORE HORNS! I have to stop the madness!! When will this meeting be over!

Out.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    I care a lot. I think about it all the time. During the middle of an important meeting I'm thinking
    You bastard! That's why you never implemented those other cost saving procedures I was yapping about in that meeting and we ended up having to outsource all those American jobs to India!

:dont-know Oh well... horns blow...

Thread Information