Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 231

Thread: Horn system pictures

  1. #211
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    10

    2220's ;)

    I got me a pair of them there 2220's - should arrive in a few days.
    If they sound as good as they model then 2/5's of my system will be JBL

    I did use a pair of JBL2435Be 1.5" compression drivers on the upper mid, but tried the S2 route and once getting them refurbed by Mike at Vitavox with the new diaphragms etc etc there was no going back...

    Quote Originally Posted by speedysteve View Post
    Interestingly the first 3 of these all model about the same as the Eminence Kappa 15-A.

    The JBL 2220 that Mostly recommended models even better!

  2. #212
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    10
    I'd like to feel that!!!



    Quote Originally Posted by more10 View Post

  3. #213
    Senior Member JuniorJBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,702
    Quote Originally Posted by more10 View Post
    Cerwin Vega B36 I believe.

    Now if they were loaded with 2242's you may create an earthquake!!
    Always fun learning more.......

  4. #214
    Senior Member Eaulive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Back in Montreal
    Posts
    1,204
    Quote Originally Posted by more10 View Post
    And some people thought line arrays were the latest technology

    That has to have a killer directivity pattern!
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x B&C 12PE32 on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

  5. #215
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    309
    Name:  ACDC array.jpg
Views: 5171
Size:  480.0 KB

    Point source is still King
    Last edited by Fort Knox; 01-31-2014 at 07:08 AM. Reason: text

  6. #216
    Senior Member Mostlydiy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    235
    Nice, I hope you like them.

    I havent heard the vitavox S2 but I have read quite a lot about them and they seem very popular. I would love to try a pair one day. They are hard to come by and ebay prices are just ridiculus on those. You even prefer them to the 2435Be, that says alot about them I would say.

    /Mostly

    Quote Originally Posted by speedysteve View Post
    I got me a pair of them there 2220's - should arrive in a few days.
    If they sound as good as they model then 2/5's of my system will be JBL

    I did use a pair of JBL2435Be 1.5" compression drivers on the upper mid, but tried the S2 route and once getting them refurbed by Mike at Vitavox with the new diaphragms etc etc there was no going back...

  7. #217
    Senior Member Woofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by Mostlydiy View Post
    Nice, I hope you like them.

    I havent heard the vitavox S2 but I have read quite a lot about them and they seem very popular. I would love to try a pair one day. They are hard to come by and ebay prices are just ridiculus on those. You even prefer them to the 2435Be, that says alot about them I would say.

    /Mostly
    They are a very sweet driver but really belong on multi-cells, and crossed over at 800Hz+
    Otherwise, best suited to home use off passive x-o's and a smallish valve amp.
    I set up a pair for a mate, and he loved 'em, until he changed his setup and tried using an active x-o, and inadvertently dialled 'em in at 100Hz, and blew 'em to bits in no time flat.

    Try and find a replacement pair of diaphragms for them, and not have to mortgage your house!

    Better to stay with stuff that's more accessible should the worst happen.
    I might be deaf, but I can still hear da bells! (Quasimodo)
    .... Oh, and the Kick Drum.

  8. #218
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jättendal (Giant Valley), Sweden
    Posts
    736


    My caravan horn system :-)

  9. #219
    Senior Member Eaulive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Back in Montreal
    Posts
    1,204
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x B&C 12PE32 on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

  10. #220
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    130

    Smile

    Obvious Question:


    How does it sound?
    Last edited by BeDome; 02-06-2014 at 11:36 PM. Reason: dumbass mistake

  11. #221
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    10

    S2's

    Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    They are a very sweet driver but really belong on multi-cells, and crossed over at 800Hz+
    Otherwise, best suited to home use off passive x-o's and a smallish valve amp.
    I set up a pair for a mate, and he loved 'em, until he changed his setup and tried using an active x-o, and inadvertently dialled 'em in at 100Hz, and blew 'em to bits in no time flat.

    Try and find a replacement pair of diaphragms for them, and not have to mortgage your house!

    Better to stay with stuff that's more accessible should the worst happen.
    Agree. I use my 1200Hz and up passive and on a small EL-84 SET. I find the sound so sweet and precise - stunning.
    They are rare and you're better off buying non working ones and having them refurbed and new diaphragms fitted to get the best spec.
    They are in new production too! £3500 each I believe.

    My JBL2220's are on a slow boat from Canada...

  12. #222
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Saint-Roch-de-l'Achigan
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Fort Knox View Post
    Name:  ACDC array.jpg
Views: 5171
Size:  480.0 KB

    Point source is still King
    Isn't more like line source????

  13. #223
    Senior Member Woofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by speedysteve View Post
    Agree. I use my 1200Hz and up passive and on a small EL-84 SET. I find the sound so sweet and precise - stunning.
    They are rare and you're better off buying non working ones and having them refurbed and new diaphragms fitted to get the best spec.
    They are in new production too! £3500 each I believe.

    My JBL2220's are on a slow boat from Canada...
    How much are the replacement diaphragms now?

    I also like 2220's. Their cones are so much lighter than any of the 'ribbed' cones giving the impression of being more responsive (faster), and to my ageing ears have a nice "even-ness" (?) to them.
    They don't go down to 20Hz, but there's a lot above that, that it will do, and do it well.

    My 6x EL-84 amp (not SET tho') is still my fave amongst my collection and used daily.

    … and yes, ALL boats from Canada are slow. Took me 3 months to get a delivery recently, (after paying for Airmail).
    I might be deaf, but I can still hear da bells! (Quasimodo)
    .... Oh, and the Kick Drum.

  14. #224
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    How much are the replacement diaphragms now?

    I also like 2220's. Their cones are so much lighter than any of the 'ribbed' cones giving the impression of being more responsive (faster), and to my ageing ears have a nice "even-ness" (?) to them.
    They don't go down to 20Hz, but there's a lot above that, that it will do, and do it well.

    My 6x EL-84 amp (not SET tho') is still my fave amongst my collection and used daily.

    … and yes, ALL boats from Canada are slow. Took me 3 months to get a delivery recently, (after paying for Airmail).
    I had a pair of 2220As in a home system decades ago... I knew far less about designing speakers and the subwoofer concept hadn't emerged yet. I was never able to really be happy with them.


    Widget

  15. #225
    Senior Member Woofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I had a pair of 2220As in a home system decades ago... I knew far less about designing speakers and the subwoofer concept hadn't emerged yet. I was never able to really be happy with them.


    Widget
    I hear wot you're saying Widget.
    I use to cheat a little bit by adding a DBX 100 Boombox to get that extra ! or 2 Hz. The 2220's (in J-bins) would cope nicely and can go lower, if you didn't go crazy with the volume control.
    I wasn't a critical listener back then as I was basically a rock n' roll live sound guy, so wot did I know?
    …. and now I'm too old and can't tell the difference anyway.
    As long as there's music, and I can tap my toe to it, I'm happy.
    I might be deaf, but I can still hear da bells! (Quasimodo)
    .... Oh, and the Kick Drum.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. new horn loaded system
    By Mike C in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-24-2011, 07:35 AM
  2. 5-way full horn system
    By RacerXtreme in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-05-2005, 12:58 PM
  3. Crossover tweaking for new JBL horn system
    By jlharden in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 01:52 PM
  4. Crossovers for DIY JBL horn system
    By Doogster in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 04:08 PM
  5. List of JBL info
    By Donald in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-27-2004, 04:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •