Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L300 clone using TAD drivers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

L300 clone using TAD drivers

What are the opinions on building a L300 summit clone using TAD drivers? TL-1601c for the LF, TD-4001 for the mids, and the ET-703 for the highs? the enclosure might have to be a little larger than stock for the 1601, but why not? the original L-300 was a bit short anyhow. And that et-703 goes up to 45k, at least according to TAD.

Widget's been working on a similar speaker using TAD treble and ultra high frequency drivers, but he prefers the JBL 1500AL woofer. Don dropped a note in here a while back saying he'd talked to some TAD people. The accordian surrounds are there for durability because the woofers are often used in recording studios for the mains and they get pounded bad. With foam surrounds the warrantee work was killing them. But sonically they preferred the foam.

The 1500AL woofer is a development of the Alnico motor which includes and exceeds the engineering JBL devised to make the ferrite motors sound better back in the 80's. Do a search here and read up on it. It's very articulate bass. Don't know what the availability is.

Your idea would probably be a very good speaker. Just thought I'd suggest you look into the JBL woofer.

David

Edit: What horn would you use?

And then there's the crossover.

1500 al

the 1500al would probably be my first choice, as well as the other Be goodies from the k2-9800 but availibility issues rule them out, unless i want to import them from japan, but ouch$$$$ so a 1601 would do, maybe a e145 or something similar. classic audio reproductions sell the 537-509 lens for 750 a pair. not a bad price really. i know that they are not original to the L300, but you don't hear hartsfield owners complaining.

Seems as though you have looked into it thoroughly. I didn't know about that horn/lens reproduction and am glad to learn of it. Have you heard it? I've never heard a Hartsfield.

David

no i have not heard them, but classic audio reproduction's stuff gets good reviews, even dr. harvey gizmo gave them a thumbs up. i am thinking about starting a project soon, and i am in the research, brainstorming phase. just playing around with different ideas. it would be nice if someone could give me their impressions on the old style jbl horn lens vs. a more modern wooden radial horn. i know that the radial will go lower, but i have a smallish room. and the horn lens shouldn't be overpowering in my enviroment. thats why they were so popular in studio control rooms. but with that being said, all of the tad's that i have seen in studio pics are radial horns.

I have not heard widgets system lately but have spent a great deal of time talking to him over the last 3 years. He is tough to please. I was talking to him the other day and he says his new boxes are the best system he has ever heard. Take it for what you will, but it almost got me driving the 9 hours to check them out.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by charlesmc75
    What are the opinions on building a L300 summit clone using TAD drivers? TL-1601c for the LF, TD-4001 for the mids, and the ET-703 for the highs? the enclosure might have to be a little larger than stock for the 1601, but why not? the original L-300 was a bit short anyhow. And that et-703 goes up to 45k, at least according to TAD.
    Charles,

Interesting idea but the limiting factor of the L300 was not the drivers but the disscontinuity b/n the woofer and the horn. This is partly what drove the 4430-35 research and there is a very good paper by David Smith published on the forums about the issues.

If you use a different horn fine, but it won't be anything like a L300.

May I suggest the Tad woofer, a 4001 with a JBL 2344 horn per the 4430 design outline, tweeter not necessarily required. If you use the JBL $1500AL would would be wise to Eq the bottom two octaves.

Enter the complex world of loudspeaker design

Hey Ian,

I agree that the transition from the woofer to the horn is the weakest link in that design, but I'd suggest going the 4343/4 route instead of the 44XX route... It is subjective, but I find there is still a problem with the 44XX design... the 15" driver is asked to do too much.

Also if you do go with a TAD and a 2344, you should use a 1" TAD. Either the 2001 or the 2002. Either will require a fair amount of crossover design research as they have different characteristics than the JBLs and as it has been hinted at along the way of Zilch's thread... CD compensation isn't a one size fits all proposition.

My two cents worth...

Widget

I am not familiari with TAD model numbers..

I recall Kent E has successfully used a TAD 2001 with the 2344..he maybe able to advise the Eq updates if requested.

With the 4001 you could look at larger horns with a lower crossover point.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Quote Originally Posted by yggdrasil
    With the 4001 you could look at larger horns with a lower crossover point.
    Absolutely! That is the way I would go! As others have said... bigger horns sound better. That's a gross generalization... please don't take it literally, but I think you know what I mean.

Widget

What are the opinions on building a L300 summit clone using TAD drivers? TL-1601c for the LF..............
    Keep in mind 1601c drivers are no longer sold, and I have never seen them available lately. I have only seen one used pair online in 2 years. Most online sources that say they have them, don't.
    Malcolm

Let me see if I got this straight... You're calling it an L300 clone but it doesn't use a 136A/LE-85/077, let alone JBL components at all, and to top it all off, the cabinet won't even be the same size...

Maybe I missing something but how is this even a clone and not just another TAD horn-loaded 3-way???

Hee, hee.

Todd holds the forum's feet to the fire!

If you want a real joy ride build up some diy 2397's, buy some 2441 cores, add some 2405's and see what happens....you won't be sorry

Thread Information