Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4344 Project

Quote Originally Posted by jandregg
    The horn in front of the flange on the h91 is only .5 inch deep. Is it longer on the horn your using. From the picture it looks like you left 3/4 inch.

John
    Hello John: I'm not sure what kind of H91 you're looking at but 1/2" is less than all that I have seen. The H91,H92, 2307, etc were designed to mount on a 3/4" baffle with no recess (Olympus, Sovereign, 4333's, 4345, 4350, etc.) and when mounted there is usually about 1/16" from the face of the horn to the face of the baffle. That would make the face-flange dimension about 11/16". Mount the same horn in a 1" baffle with no recess and there would be interference with the horn's dispersion. JBL obviously felt this was unsatisfactory or they would not have gone to the trouble to cut the recess. All JBL cabinets that I have seen/measured using a 1" P.B. baffle have the recess cut 1/4" deep with 3/4" material left to support the weight of the horn/driver. Cutting it deeper is a bit risky - hanging a heavy horn/driver on a thin P.B. surface. This problem led to their practice of providing a metal hanger/support bolted between the driver/horn and the cabinet interior (L200, 4345, 4350, others). If anyone has seen something different, please speak up.

Happy Holidays!!!

Rick

You have not told us what your doin for crossovers yet!

jandregg
    Rick
    Thanks for taking the time to explain this. The fact that the horn is not flush with the front of the baffle is a small thing but it has been nagging at me for thirty years. Otherwise I'm very well adjusted.

John

Giskard,

......Muhaahhaha..That's for sure!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by riessen
    I use plexi templates and a router to cut all of the baffle holes. After the 4 1/4" horn hole is cut thru the baffle I just layed a larger template over the hole on the back and cut the recess for the flange (1/4" deep). JBL did this on all of their monitors that were built with a 1" P.B. baffle - 4340, 4341, 4343, 4344, that I know of.
    Hi, is it poss to post some pictures of the templates and router and how you did it?

Thanks

Tom Loizeaux

Rick

Very nice work! Looking at that project makes me think I might want to make a pair myself.
    I think you are the guy who could suppy plans to us would-be 4344 builders!

With the right componants and a crossover made for those componants and cabinet, you will have, what many of us consider, the best "classic" JBL full sized speaker.
    We're interested in you crossover development.

A wonderful project!

Tom

Hi Tom: You're certainly welcome to all of my plans. With the exception of my recessed back, the interior is the same volume and bracing is similar. to the factory 4344. I will work on dressing up my hand drawings so that I can get them to anyone interested. X-overs are out of my league and am working with another forum member to get the electronic package built. There are also 4344 plans in Ian's thread and he shows a similar baffle arrangement. If I can help you just let me know. Rick

4344 Project

I've finally got these babies to the point where they're starting to look like speakers. I finished the veneer work and soaked them with a coat of oil. I'll rub in a few more coats over the next week or so. I finished the grilles today and wanted to see what they looked like. Some pics are attached below for those who have been following the project.

As stated before, components are 4344 regulars with 2235H, 2122H, 2425J and 2405, with the same cabinet height and width, and same internal volume. The grille cloth is a change. I've got plenty of Blue and wanted to try something different. AS far as I can tell the camel color is identical to that used by JBL on systems like the L300 and others. I think it contrasts well with the rosewood.

Next mission is to get the crossovers built and installed. It's been a fun project and I'm looking forward to hear them sing.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images     

4344 Project

Pics
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Excellent job!!

They are absolutely beautiful!! very well done. Nice routing, veneer, etc. Very well executed. I'm impressed! Is this the second pair (as you mentioned)? Will you be keeping these or are they being built for a client?? (just curious). Kudos.

Too Nice

Rick,
    Outstanding, as usual. Think you've found your calling?
    chuck

Beautiful!

If you already mentioned this pardon my laziness... I only looked at the pretty pictures.

What are you going to do for the foilcal?

Widget

Fantastic work Rick. That rosewood is really beautiful. And it really underlines the quality of your work.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Foil-Cals

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    What are you going to do for the foilcal?

Widget
    Good Morning Mr. Widget: Foil-Cals and Baffle Badges are becomming a sore spot with me. I have quite a few monitors that are in need of one or both. I have a ton of art work in various stages of completion. I have a friend who is a genious with Photo Shop and Illustrator and he has been helping me with the various badges. I will soon be ready to have these critters made up and on my speakers. They won't be complete without them.

I have a long list which includes all of the popular 43XX moniotors (my mainstay). Considering the tremendous artwork effort and the cost of screens, I intend to make up a BUNCH (as others have also done in the past)to offset these costs. You'll know when they're all done as I'll offer them to all the guys on the forum. There's been a guy in Japan selling grille badges on ebay, but $100+ per pair to my door is too much for me. Hopefully after all costs are figured in, I'll be able to come in at less than half - we'll see. Rick

My they do look nice! Good idea using Photo Shop. I used Paint Shop and was able to get a reasonable lablel up and running. Did it as a single layer that you could print just print. Never fininished it though, decided not to as my level controls were on the back of the cabinet. I can see for silk screening the layer approach would be best. Can't wait to see them you do great work.

Rob

Thread Information