Thread: Leftover project

pentictonklaus

Leftover project

My lovely wife finally thought she could clean out all that stuff under the sofa.
    I am kind of defenceless since I will be going back to work( the cold north ) right after Christmas, and won't be able to avoid it. So I thought I finally get my butt into gear and put that leftover stuff into some wood. Started yesterday at a friends shop after I took away from under the sofa :
    ( please don't ask how I got it all there)
    2 x 2231
    2 x 2118 j ( 2 more to reach 8 ohm are on the way, finally )
    2 x 2344 with 2426 h
    2 x 2405
    So what to do ? Without trying to copy any of Zilch's 4430 work, the result is somewhat close, at least in the bass part.
    2231 in 180 liter tuned to 30 hz, 2118 in 14 liter in seperate box for time alignment or whatever,2344 in a metal frame on top, 2405 I do not know jet. All driven active, crossed with 2 times ML 552 at 300hz and probably around 1200. Bass 2X crown DC 300,mids and highs Bryston 3 B. Here are the first pictures. Oh forgot to mention 2344 will have the passive part of the 4435 network build if parts arrive in time. Here are the first pictures and thank's to all for work and info from this forum. Merry Christmas
    Klaus
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Klaus,

A picture says a thousand words.

Enjoy..and nice workshop.

Ian

Very nice. Looks fun.

Keep us posted.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

norealtalent
    Nice work! Any thoughts on a finish?

Penticton Eh!

Nice work

Julie and I used to live on the 7th fairway at Twin lakes Country Club. Do you happen to know Al Formo? He is a local well known business man. Used to run Al Formo's Carpet on the main drag. I used to spend a lot of time in Penticton.

If you know him how is he doing? I mean Penticton is not that large a place and if you have been there for many years I am sure you would know him.

Ken

pentictonklaus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    Nice work

Julie and I used to live on the 7th fairway at Twin lakes Country Club. Do you happen to know Al Formo? He is a local well known business man. Used to run Al Formo's Carpet on the main drag. I used to spend a lot of time in Penticton.

If you know him how is he doing? I mean Penticton is not that large a place and if you have been there for many years I am sure you would know him.

Ken
    Hello Ken
    Yes I do know AL. I live in Penticton since 15 years. His carpet store was right next to the Barley Mill Pup. We used to meet there for beer drinking. He closed the business some 7or 8 years ago and ganged up with the local car sales club. I think he's still in town but I have not seen him for some years. I have also been working overseas and in the north for the last 5 years but will inquire about his whereabouts. It is a small world. Penticton did however grow and real estate is out to lunch. A place at twin lakes sells for 300 k now.

I plan to finish the speakers in flat black, since I do not have enough time
    to do a piano finish like the old homebuilt one in the picture. The parts from parts express did not arrive jet and I am running out of time since I was called back to work for the 27th allready. Still hope to finish before christmas.

Klaus

Quote Originally Posted by pentictonklaus
    Hello Ken

Yes I do know AL. I live in Penticton since 15 years. His carpet store was right next to the Barley Mill Pup. We used to meet there for beer drinking. He closed the business some 7or 8 years ago and ganged up with the local car sales club. I think he's still in town but I have not seen him for some years. I have also been working overseas and in the north for the last 5 years but will inquire about his whereabouts. It is a small world. Penticton did however grow and real estate is out to lunch. A place at twin lakes sells for 300 k now.

I plan to finish the speakers in flat black, since I do not have enough time
    to do a piano finish like the old homebuilt one in the picture. The parts from parts express did not arrive jet and I am running out of time since I was called back to work for the 27th allready. Still hope to finish before christmas.

Klaus
    Its a small world. Julie and I got the house from Al. He built it the year before we moved in. We were only there for a short time as business took us back to Vancouver. I did enjoy the course very much. We had the whole back yard converted to a 9 hole putting green. The Country Club maintained it for us. We enjoyed living there very much. It's a challenging 18 hole course. I did manage to play even par on it a few times however. I spent evenings hitting balls from behind the house onto the 7th green. Very peacefull place.

Your project looks good. If I ever get back that way I will look you up. If you see Al say Hi for us. I would be most interested in finding out how his son made out, if you know what I mean? Ate many a meal and drank many a beer at the Barley Mill with Al.

Ken

pentictonklaus

first listen

After 3 month I finally find some time to continue working on the speaker project. I was away at work for 2 month and finally have some time off. So into the guest house, open a ( well more then one ) beer and off to work.

First impressions: ( before I forget I got a Behringer Ultracurve for Christmas )

2231 in 160 liter net (after all the bracing ) tuned to 30 hz, exactly as expected. Deep clean dynamic. This concept is a no brainer.
    2118 as mid , not bad but will get some stuffing in stuffing out work.
    2344 the beast is fantastic after taming.

So here the set up so far: 2344 got somewhat tamed by 2 days of ultracurve work. The beast does need the passive crossover 3134. There is no other way. The ultracurve does make it sound pretty good but not close enough to the 4435 magic. The interesting part is how picky that driver is for amplification. I have it set up to the bryston 3 b, all other amps sounded like underwater aerobics. The 2118 J however made the bryston fail completly ( maybe the bryston does not like 16 ohm, will try 2 soon but what to do with 100 db ? Guess just use it with 2 watt class triple A ) 2231 driven by crown DC 300 a , again an old proven concept.
    Crossover hz: 250hz sounds best ( why did JBL choose that for the 4350 ?) 1,2 to 1.5 khz depending on music seems to satisfy my taste for 2118/2344. All 24 db.
    P.S i got one of those cheap Behringer a 500 amps as well. Totally useless for the highs ( compared to Bryston 3 b ) I have not tried it on the bass yet, but surprise not bad in the midrange. More info on the cheap amp soon.
    Next step : New order for crossover parts ( I must have been drunk on my last order since only wrong stuff arrived 0.4 mh instead 0.04/ 24 uF instead of 20. ) But were to get 0.04mh?
    Then compare with the 4435 which I will move to the house on the ski hill soon.( will give me a chance to read serial no. too )My neighbours were showing off B#%e Pictures:

ok

Quote Originally Posted by pentictonklaus
    ...Then compare with the 4435 which I will move to the house on the ski hill soon.( will give me a chance to read serial no. too ) .....

nice to read

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Klaus,

Sounds like 2344a revisited ..I went through all these tribulations about 4 or 5 years ago.

I few thoughts...

As I recall the level balance of the mid cone relative to the 2344 is very sensitive when using either the 3134 or 3135 allpass crossovers.

The reason is the outputs are in phase and the transition requires exacting adjustment to avoid a peak ot null in the crossover transition.

Avoid using other DIY alternative crossovers as they will void the 2344 of its rich open sound character.

Hang in there and the results will be sensational with the 2118 type JBL driver.

I previously built a very similar system using an Audax driver (like the 2118) and later a 2122h JBL

Pm me if you would like specific details of the crossover I used in this system.

Regards

Ian

happy life

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enought to take away everything from you

Question pentictonklaus, dude

The Book of Tofu?
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    The Book of Tofu?
    Dome, I have that and The Book of Miso too. I'm not sure if I still have The Book Of Tempeh. Old Hippies Unite!

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Thread Information