Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I am pleased to announce [tour of Westlake]

Yeah Ken...I'd say that's a very good interpretation of what Glenn Phoenix was saying. Westlake passive networks are so refined that given a power amp that can welcome the low impedance of the system, it's quite a bit more user friendly....not to mention the cost involved with the added amps, active crossovers, cabling and potential PE Distortion that goes along with all of it.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

lfh

Thumbs up Great!

Thanks much for the report and the pics! Very inspiring!

(Did you have a chance to move over the questions?)

Fredrik

Very interesting. Three comments/questions:

A - Did you get any pics of the cabinetmaking area(s)?

B - I'm wondering if Westlake would be interested in diffraction free foam grilles for at least some of their models?

C - These pics reminds me of the suggestion I made on these forums some time back about a video or photo tour of members installations or audio manfrs. facilities.
    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun

B - I'm wondering if Westlake would be interested in diffraction free foam grilles for at least some of their models?

C - These pics reminds me of the suggestion I made on these forums some time back about a video or photo tour of members installations or audio manfrs. facilities.
    Looking for a new market?

How about producing those 4" plastic port plugs backed up with some foam? At one time these were offered with the Marantz speakers. One could insert the plug for a smooth, extended bottom end, or remove the plug for more impact in the rock music bass range.

In fact, by now the Marantz foams have probably all rotted away and may also need reproduction.

A: The cabinets are manufactured in San Diego and shipped up to ther Newberry Park facility for completion.

B: They currently manufacture Speaker Muffs and Cable Muffs. My suggestion is to explore this further by contacting Westlake yourself.

C: Yep

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by lfh
    Thanks much for the report and the pics! Very inspiring!

(Did you have a chance to move over the questions?)

Fredrik
    Fredrik, all BS aside I took your questions with us and unfortunately got so wrapped up in the tour and listening tests for PE Distortion it slipped my mind to ask them.

I apologize, it was very inconsiderate of me.

Ken

lfh
    No worries, Ken! (I'll get in touch with Eastlake soon anyway, and I can ask them some of the questions.)

Fredrik

PE Distortion

I remember a while back someone posted a link to the papers on PE Distortion. I searched but was unable to find what i was looking for. Does anyone know where I can find that information? Thanks

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by allen mueller
    I remember a while back someone posted a link to the papers on PE Distortion. I searched but was unable to find what i was looking for. Does anyone know where I can find that information? Thanks

Allen
    Here ya go
    Attached Files Attached Files

thank you

Thanks, interesting read

allen

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    Here ya go
    Aw - jeez - what was in the second article you posted, then pulled before some of us could read it? Can you give us at least a summary?

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    Aw - jeez - what was in the second article you posted, then pulled before some of us could read it? Can you give us at least a summary?

John
    You can view and download the articles here:

http://www.westlakeaudio.com/Speakers/Whitepapers.html
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin
    Looking for a new market?
    YOU BET!

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin
    How about producing those 4" plastic port plugs backed up with some foam? At one time these were offered with the Marantz speakers. One could insert the plug for a smooth, extended bottom end, or remove the plug for more impact in the rock music bass range.

In fact, by now the Marantz foams have probably all rotted away and may also need reproduction.
    Please indicate exactly what these "plugs" are (picture of?).
    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

Look at the picture. The "plugs" are just left and right below the wooden horn. I assume these are like the old Marantz plugs that were of plastic with a foam back that filled the port.

YOU BET!

Please indicate exactly what these "plugs" are (picture of?).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    Here is a closeup of the Zen Master at work.

It was in Zen's working area that Glenn began to quiz us, preparing for his introduction to PE. Consequently we have several shots of the coil winding area because the discussion lasted almost 35-40 minutes. I believe Glenn brought it up at this point because of proven interaction between stray magnetic/electric fields of each coil/component as well as everything else within and around the system. This realization has led to the birth of the ever developing phenomena of PE Distortion. Isolation, along with dampening is the rule of the day at Westlake. The rear baffle containing the nework is dampened to the best of their ability by the use of a Butyl type dampening material (black) that is highly absorbent in terms of vibration, thereby helping the baffle to float while still creating a seal to the enclosure.

I have included a couple of other shots as well.
    Just had to tell you these are amazing pictures!

Thread Information