Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Your best JBL find

analogman
    Truth be told, my "best" JBL find was this Forum; that applies to my internet "finds" as well.
    People here, ALL total strangers, have given me help and shown me generosity I would never have thought possible in these times. Most notably, Hamilton, Zilch, JBL Dog, and Giskard. This is not a sin of omission, there are many others, but the knowledge is so abundant, and free flowing, it would take forever to type and or read.
    Analogman

I think my best find is part historical and also recent.

Some 10 years ago I found a pair of mint 2397 JBL Smith horns in a PA second hand dealers warehouse. That got me the JBL bug..again. I used them for some years and then sold them for about twice what I paid for them to someone in the USA.

My next lucky find was in 2000 with the discovery of the 3134/35 network schematics C/- JBL technical help before they were public domain.

The other day I was walking past a Pro shop and I found a mint pair of JBL 2307 horns and 2308 lenses.

Some days I love my Job!!

Smile My Best JBL Find

I purchased a pair of L110s at a Jafco store in Olympia for $130 a piece in 1982. They were demos and had been marked down 10% per week for several weeks. There were no boxes and the dust caps on the midranges were dented as well as one dome tweeter. They sounded great then and still do. I have now aquired two more pairs of L110s and a pair of empty L110 enclosures all via eBay. I plan on obtaining all the drivers and X-over networks and installing them.

Larry

dgorshe
    I replied to an ad on craigslist that was described as a yamaha reciever and "big honkin speakers" I sent him an email inquiring about the speakers and it ends up they were JBL L-166's. Price was 60 bucks and the only down side was they were painted green, But for sound quality they performed flawlessly. Well that was my best find, so far anyways

cary
    I did some work for a friend, he knew I was into audio equipment, and gave me a pair of 4312A's in great condition.

Cary

Alan Fletcher
    Well, my best "JBL find" was a pair of mint condition S/99 Lancers with consecutive serial numbers and the original JBL packaging, at a tag sale. Freshly reconed LE14a's not even broken in. Crappy recone job but with a little TLC they are fine, kinda ugly but function flawlessly.

Driving my usual route to work one day, those big cardboard boxes with the giant orange JBL logo caught my eye and I immediately pulled over to investigate, to hell with being late for work (although I was conveniently running early that particular morning).

Kinda pissed me off that they had taken one of them out of its box and set it out on the driveway, where many idiots then moved it around scratching the hell out of the bottom of the enclosure. For that kind of money, though, who really cares? Yeah, I do care, because it was senseless, but what are you gonna do?

$40 USD the pair. I also picked up several vintage receivers for 5 bucks.

-A

I used to get a mail order catalog that sold electronics and just about everything else under the sun. They had some LC312-1's listed and they were so cheap (can't remember) that when I called I asked the lady if that was for a pair or each speaker. She said pair, so I ordered 2 sets. A week later the catalog came out and they had changed it to each. Knew nothing about these speakers but they sound ok, along with my L36's. I sold one set to a friend.

jleblanc
    a paid of L36s for $10 at a garage sale
    L-150As for $250 on craigslist.

L-65's

This score is not mine. Yesterday, I think it was, a local fellow paid ten dollars each for a pair of Jubals. They need the usual work, but are complete and look pretty good. It was the buzz today at the local audio shop.

While I was in the shop, one of the owners was opening an Ampex rtr I saw him buy Thursday in Bloomington at a Public Radio fund raiser (donated music and gear) for five dollars. It contained five Telefunken tubes that tested vg to excellent. They'll get $250-500 on eBay.

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

kbott
    I picked these up at a garage sale for $7. From looking at other threads I believe they're C-38 Lowboys. They have a 16 Ohm D-130 in each cabinet. They need a little refinishing, but otherwise in pretty good shape

my current speaker are L-100T's that I got in Germany back in the mid 80's
    Attached Images Attached Images    

norealtalent
    Excellent score kbott and welcome. Would you show a pic of one of the legs including the foot? I've never seen stock legs in brass before but that is indeed what they look like.

C-38s for $7, that a steal.

I picked these up at a garage sale for $7. From looking at other threads I believe they're C-38 Lowboys. They have a 16 Ohm D-130 in each cabinet. They need a little refinishing, but otherwise in pretty good shape

For $7, that like steal! Congratulations on your great find.

You may want to start looking for a pair of 075/2402 bullets on E-Bay to turn that steal into a complete system. And you will also need a pair of N2400 crossovers. But the N2400s are a very easily DIY project.

Congratulations, Kbott

Baron030

kbott
    thanks for the advice baron from hooking them up initially i did notice they needed a little more than just the one speaker and heaven knows there's enough room in the cabinet. Though I may have to move to be actually able to use them

When I bought them I didn't know they were JBL's but the cabinets just seemed real solid and put together I was really after the office chair for $5 so I figured if the speakers were a bust I could live with the chair for $12

I wish I had a picture of me driving home in my Galant stuffed to the gills with the chair knocking me in the head

The woofers in those cabinets are JBL but I do not think the cabinets are?
    They look like very nice DIY versions.

Jeez, those are beautiful.

What a SCORE!!

Thread Information