Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Your best JBL find

norealtalent
    [QUOTE=toddalin]
    Quote Originally Posted by norealtalent

Wired by a dyslexic maybe???
    No, just using a left handed schematic

Quote Originally Posted by Akira
    I always assumed they were just a pair of 4311/L100's. Wrong: they actually sound pretty good.
    4411's are very nice and somewhat rare, actually.

A good find, yep, yup....

Live Long and JBL

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin
    Well sure..., after you put the foam on the wrong side of the cone, who else would want them.
    Well I never new about the outside foam mount trick until reading about it previously on this site. I have OCS to thank for the re foam on my 4313's
    alas it is a nice job indeed. I do agree though the foam done stock looks much better and sounds?

Can you believe it the instructions still recomend you mount your foam on the outside of driver. Think I got it right this time on the Summits.

Neoman
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I found out a dear friend and musician companion has had this pair of 4311WXA's stashed away in his garage -he had them out in a yard sale at one point for $40 bucks for crying out loud! (No way to treat any JBL in my book.

Now they're safe and warm, and doing alt-duties here in the home studio, Dept. of Too Much Fun. Actually, they sound rather a bit bizarre. But we love them non-the less.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by mixsit

Now they're safe and warm, and doing alt-duties here in the home studio, Dept. of Too Much Fun. Actually, they sound rather a bit bizarre. But we love them non-the less.

Wayne

Maybe the woofers....or something....connected out-of-phase?
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

When OCS redid the foams on my 12" woofers in my RSL 3300s (L112 unclones), they also attached the foams to the front of the cones (as opposed to the rears where they were originally attached). If they were JBLs I would have confirmed that the foams would be on the backs or they wouldn't have touched them.

Found several Lansing field coil drivers once...

This was about 30 years ago, as I recall there were three Shearer horn setups in a movie theater that was being demolished. Since I was in college and living in a small travel trailer, I had to leave the cabinets behind. It was a situation of "take them now, tomorrow the building will be gone..." Here's a picture of what they were... http://www.audioheritage.org/images/...r/shearer1.jpg

I did end up with 6 Lansing 415 15"s and 3 Lansing 287 drivers along with the 1505 tar-filled horns. Also the field coil power supplies. All free. My "friend" managed to fry the voice coil of one of the 287's, which I'd like to get fixed, but all the other components work fine.

My goal is to build cabinets that will do them justice.

Jim

norealtalent
    Quote Originally Posted by neonman
    This was about 30 years ago, as I recall there were three Shearer horn setups in a movie theater that was being demolished. Since I was in college and living in a small travel trailer, I had to leave the cabinets behind. It was a situation of "take them now, tomorrow the building will be gone..." Here's a picture of what they were... http://www.audioheritage.org/images/...r/shearer1.jpg

I did end up with 6 Lansing 415 15"s and 3 Lansing 287 drivers along with the 1505 tar-filled horns. Also the field coil power supplies. All free. My "friend" managed to fry the voice coil of one of the 287's, which I'd like to get fixed, but all the other components work fine.

My goal is to build cabinets that will do them justice.

Jim
    OK That beats the $100 L300's hands down!

Dave,

Interesting layout of the crossovers, but an ingenuis design.

My guess is that unless there are wires cut or loose the crossover is probably okay.

What they did is proprietry design so I don't want to elaborate on the public forums. It reminds me of project May but much more advanced..it came form outa space............they probably spent years perfecting this. If you post some images back to Westake they would probably be able to confirm if it looks ex factory. Most techs remember what job they worked on and something like this would be burned into memory!

Ian

norealtalent
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Dave,

Interesting layout of the crossovers, but an ingenuis design.

My guess is that unless there are wires cut or loose the crossover is probably okay.

What they did is proprietry design so I don't want to elaborate on the public forums. It reminds me of project May but much more advanced..it came form outa space............they probably spent years perfecting this. If you post some images back to Westake they would probably be able to confirm if it looks ex factory. Most techs remember what job they worked on and something like this would be burned into memory!

Ian
    Thanks Ian, I interpret that as "no tweaking advised." With some help from those much more knowledgeable, I figured out that what appeared to be backwards factory circuits indeed were factory and intentionally routed backwards of that shown on the schematic for a neater board layout. Due to the positioning within the parallel +- ac circuit, the component sequence is irrelevent provided the coil is in the middle. I knew Westlake wouldn't do that for no reason but it took at least ten minutes of explanation to wrap my brain around the concept. I'm sure I didn't explain it very well so, don't follow me, I'm lost too!

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    Maybe the woofers....or something....connected out-of-phase?

I don't suspect they would have wiring issues as he bought them new and he would not be one to work on them.
    I should admit that saying they sound 'bizarre is an overstatement. More that they are more obviously colored in a way that I noticed easily -and my initial reaction -my first studio reference? My point of reference (Klipsch 3-ways) is fairly limited also, but I know them well. While I won't tout them as being an accurate' standard, whatever tilts' they have seem to be gradual, where I hear the 4411's dip-and-peaks -one set in upper bass/low mid, and again 2--6k'ish. Coincidentally, or maybe not , pretty much as advertised by JBL.

Wayne Smith

Nightbrace
    Bought my first speakers, Altec 19's, at a garage sale, $200 bucks, which I thought was REALLY expensive! Thank my dad for telling me to buy them! Wish I knew then what I know now, he had 20 sets of speakers, mostly Altec, probably some real gems. Bought my Marantz receiver from him as well, think I paid $20 for it! I then convinced my dad to donate his L55's to me after I sold my Altec 19's to help pay for college. I used the Altecs for nearly 5 years.

After almost 2 years with the L55's I found a set of L300's, paid a staggering $900 for them, thought that was A LOT too! L55's went back to my dad. Used the profits to buy the L200B's, so technically I got them free . Have had them for about 6 months now. Awaiting a day off work so I can get the 240Ti, we'll see how they stack up to the L200B.

I dare not mention some of the other speakers I have bought and sold.

Apologies in advance if this is too long-winded:
    Not really a "newbie" here (apparently your first post becomes your "join date" rather than your registration date); my first JBL ownership experience goes back about 45 years. I grew up in a house with a (mono) 030 system my Dad bought my Mom for their anniversary when I was about two. I'd say around 1955. It was in a plywood cabinet roughly the size and shape of a C35, brown grille, unfinished, beveled edges. My memory wants to say it once said Kraftmaid or something like that on it before Mom stained it "walnut". Anyway, when stereo came, my Mom decided to replace the JBL, Miracord, Pilot system and Dad bought a Fisher 400, Gerard, Fisher-speaker system. Mom decided the old mono stuff should go to the Goodwill.

So, I was about ten and dragged the JBL down the hall to my room and hid it in my clothes closet under my shirts. When Mom asked what happened to it I told the truth, begged, maybe cried, and she let me keep it, along with the ELAC and Pilot. Well I had no records as such so for a while I played the JBL using a cut-up earphone cord out of my Channel Master transistor radio, opening the closet door to hear it, and believe it or not it sounded pretty good. I eventually hooked up the table and amp ("volume" and "loudness" confused me for a while with no manual) and eventually got old enough to learn what I had rescued. I went to the store where my Dad had bought all the stuff (Hi-Fi Showroom, Clayton Rd. St. Louis) and priced the components to build another 030. I believe they were about $400 even back then which must have been around 1969. I started building my own version of a 4333 monitor box and waited for the components. One day I went in to Hi-Fi Showroom to check on my order and they had a C37 trade-in with the 030 system from a mono system. I asked what they wanted for it and they told me $125 and they'd cancel my component order (they probably never even placed the order). Of course I bought it.

For a while the 030s were powered by a Kenwood receiver until one 075 quit. I sent it to JBL in California and when it was returned they'd included a note suggesting I check my amp for a "high frequency oscillation", but did not charge for the new voice coil. This was about 1970. I took the Kenwood to Hi-Fi Fo Fum <G> and traded it on a used McIntosh C20 and Fisher SA-1000. The C-20 was $110 and the SA-1000 $90. Don't recall what the Kenwood brought. Worked great until the SA's tubes needed replacing and I was told RCA didn't make them anymore as they only fit the SA-1000. So I swapped the Fisher even-up for a Crown D-150 at Hi-Fi Showroom around March 1974. Even then they told me it woud go into their Audio Antique collection. The Crown cost $399 and they "gave" me $120 for the Fisher I'd paid $90 for four years earlier. Yeah, you don't have to tell me what an SA-1000 is worth now!! (The only consolation is I still have the C-20.)

So, I still have my first JBL. It cost me nothing. It's nearly as old as I am, and it's lived in my home all it's life. It now shares duties, along with it's trade-in friend, with a pair of L112s I bought my wife for our third anniversary, and the "new" L150As I just bought with the help of this forum group. I still have the original "face-less" D-150, a "new" D150A-II, another used one, and a DC300A-II which currently tickles the 030s but will power the L-150s after I complete the re-foam job.

So, a pair of 030s in mis-matched cabs for $125. And I've got two empty C35s waiting to house the "original" 030 systems. Hope I didn't burn too much bandwidth rambling. A prerogative of age, I suppose.

-Phil

leif
    My best JBL find was the two nice 077 tweeters that i actually found on the garbage dump while throwing some garden garbage.
    My best JBL purchase must be the two 4430 I have now, that I gave about 800 US dollars to get.
    And the B460 that I bought some years ago for about the same price.

Leif

Not a JBL find but a Lansing find, does that count?

I was in the Navy on an aircraft carrier. When we showed movies in hanger bay one, we used a cheap Bogen amplifier and two awful EV CDP fiberglass paging horns. The hanger bay was an echo chamber anyway, and it was hard to understand the movie’s dialogue.

We had pulled into a Navy base south of downtown Boston, where there was a big Navy surplus facility. From way across the warehouse I thought I could see what was a grey multi-cellular horn. I wandered over and by golly it was a complete Altec A7 Voice of the Theater in great condition.

Even with the cheap Bogen amplifier, this was a major improvement in the sound for the crew’s movie. I caught a bit of flack from the hanger bay crew because they couldn’t find a place to store the thing, but everyone appreciated the improvement in movie sound.

Izzy

Thread Information