Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Your best JBL find

Best? not so sure

To date I have had what I consider to be three great JBL finds, not as great as some others have found, but I think they will do.

#1 - very nice pair of 4311B's. Found at a thrift store. The cabs are near perfect, grill cloth is okay but could look better. paid $30

#2 - all original pair of C40 Harkness with the spun aluminum feet, blond oak cabs. Found at an estate sale where I was the first through the door and the other folks were wondering why I would want those. paid $400

#3 - near mint pair of L100's. The cabs are perfect (they were placed in a built end wall cabinet at the ceiling), of course the foam grills are long gone, but otherwise fantastic shape. Found at an estate sale where I didn't show up until noon and no one had noticed them, not even the folks running the sale, until I did of course. paid $10

These JBL's just keep following me home, but I love it that way.

Whoops

I bid highest on this pair of babies: http://www.ebay.pl/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....#ht_500wt_1156

That might have consequences.

It was yesterday!

A friend of mine gave me the heads up on a woman wanting to rid herself of her ex-husband's belongings that were cluttering up her life (and her spare room).
    I heard she had a pair of 4412As. Upon arrival, they were in need of a clean up and new foam surrounds, but otherwise sound. She didn't know how much they were worth, but the best part was, she didn't really care. Needless to say I walked away with the bargain of the century. It was a good day.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Show us what ya got: Homebuilt Hi-Fi

Quote Originally Posted by lowpoke View Post
    She didn't know how much they were worth, but the best part was, she didn't really care. Needless to say I walked away with the bargain of the century. It was a good day.
    Great snag!

Looks like maybe some water damage on the 128 cone, or is it just the photo? Great buy at what I figure must be something south of fifty-bucks the way you're describing it! I love mine but haven't listened to them much since buying my L5s and L96s. Too many speakers, so little room.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Great snag!

Looks like maybe some water damage on the 128 cone, or is it just the photo? Great buy at what I figure must be something south of fifty-bucks the way you're describing it! I love mine but haven't listened to them much since buying my L5s and L96s. Too many speakers, so little room.
    No water damage. In fact drivers and crossovers all seem pretty good. Cabinets have been stored on their backs with something laying across the drivers which has damaged the surrounds and gaskets. Also dented the tweeter grille on one cabinet. I had a quick listen at low volume and all drivers are operational. I'll wait until I've replaced the surrounds before listening properly.

(Unfortunately price wasn't south of fifty. I would have felt like an a**hole not offering at least a semi-respectable amount.)
    Show us what ya got: Homebuilt Hi-Fi

(Unfortunately price wasn't south of fifty. I would have felt like an a**hole not offering at least a semi-respectable amount.)
    The reality on those, in my opinion, is they're a steal at anything under $200!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Best find, may I say "score" was:
    - 2 x 2441
    - 2 x 2309 horns
    - 2 x 2395 lenses
    - 4 x Celestion HF20 tweeters

They were 45mm away. I called at 9PM and was there at 9AM the next morning.

Name:  DSCN0882.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  84.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    They were 45mm away. I called at 9PM and was there at 9AM the next morning.
    nice ..but isn't 45mm less than 2 inches ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    nice ..but isn't 45mm less than 2 inches ?
    Okay then. 45mn BTW I took everything apart. The horns have been washed and stored. The lenses will need to be taken apart, flattened and reassembled. I open one of the 2441. It has what seems to be an OEM JBL diaphragm. That driver works. I removed the diaphragm and stored it. The other driver is dead. The diaphragm is different and seems to be aftermarket. Different surround.I don't know what I will do for that set of horns but I had to have them.

Working diaphragm

Name:  DSCN0884.jpg
Views: 1633
Size:  70.4 KB

Dead diaphragm. Suspension is same material as the dome itself, and the suspension has a different shape from the other diaphragm. Phenolic?

Name:  DSCN0886.jpg
Views: 1426
Size:  82.2 KB

Live one looks like a 2445 Ti dia...
    the dead one, aftermarket Al.
    Nice find, regardless.

Lee those horns and big slant plate lenses have some very special qualities according to a friend whose opinions I have come to respect greatly. He recommended that I pick up a pair years ago and I regrettably did not. Please report back after you have had a good listen to them.

It was yesterday!

A friend of mine gave me the heads up on a woman wanting to rid herself of her ex-husband's belongings that were cluttering up her life (and her spare room).
    I heard she had a pair of 4412As. Upon arrival, they were in need of a clean up and new foam surrounds, but otherwise sound. She didn't know how much they were worth, but the best part was, she didn't really care. Needless to say I walked away with the bargain of the century. It was a good day.
    Wow,, those speakers look as if they have been sitting in the Poker room with all the boys smoking cigars for the last 30 years....Probably smell like it too !!! I still would have made the snag !!

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Live one looks like a 2445 Ti dia...
    the dead one, aftermarket Al.
    Nice find, regardless.
    And I paid a whopping $180.00 for the complete set.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Please report back after you have had a good listen to them.
    I will report. I think those are short throw and they might work better at home than my long throw 2350s... I also love my 2397, but the don't go any lower than 800Hz.

And I paid a whopping $180.00 for the complete set.
    Lucky B@stard. At least you have the resources and know how to clean them up nicely!

My minty fresh SVA2100s that I bought from an 18 year old kid who had no clue what they were. They were outside in the rain covered by one of those blue tarps. I told him I couldn't buy them unless I could listen to them so he dragged them into the "carport" while I went home and grabbed my Carver 900, some speaker wire and an antenna. By "carport" I mean the plywood and 2x4 extension of the trailer. After rummaging around for an extension cord I hooked one up, tuned to NPR and Mara Liasson was in the shanty! It sounded glorious! Then I hooked up the other one and there was no bass. It was dark in there so it was difficult to see the missing bi-amp strap. I'm serious! After explaining to him how expensive JBL woofers were we settled on $200. They wouldn't fit in my Mazda3 hatch so I got him to deliver them for $10 in his parent's old Suburban. After we got them into the living room I pulled out a twenty and the little thief claimed he didn't have a tenner on him! Some people just don't know the meaning of moral fortitude.

Thread Information