Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Your best JBL find

Dang it,

Post some pics of your 43 collection..please.

Quote Originally Posted by norealtalent
    Regis is the only other person I know of with that kind of speaker luck!!!
    Unbelievable....about 20 guys in the Sothern California area do the same thing. You have to be searching full time in this area to find those deals. Guys here make a living flipping JBL stuff world wide. I have met a few of them and they are ruthless. Most don't even use them, its just a commodity. BBSM15's for 1800.00. now thats a bargain. I just sold a pair for 5100.00 and thought I gave them away. They were in fantastic shape and included those custom stands. Would love to see pictures of the ones you have?

Ken

norealtalent
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Dang it,

Post some pics of your 43 collection..please.
    I've been fortunate to have 7 pair of these. I lost most of my earliest pics in a computer crash a few years back. To see the new pair with boxes and grilles in plastic lined up against the wall was really impressive. A man in Pueblo bought them and loves them to this day. These pics are the last walnut pair I sold except the pic with the 2360 on the dual 15 cab. That ome is what I have now. I had pulled the nameplate to have them duplicated. I have a bigger pic of my avatar somewhere. That's the only pic I have of more than one pair at a time. I'll look for that one too. When I dig out the pair I have now I'll take some more detailed pics if anybody would like. I don't want to hog all the forum space.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Tom Loizeaux
    My "Best JBL Find" has to be the first pair of studio monitors I rescued - not because I got them cheaply, but because it lead me into taking them apart. As I re-habbed these 4333s I began to appreciate the quality built into these drivers, crossovers and cabinets. With the restoration completed and after my first listen, I was hooked!

Tom

norealtalent
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    Unbelievable....about 20 guys in the Sothern California area do the same thing. You have to be searching full time in this area to find those deals. Guys here make a living flipping JBL stuff world wide. I have met a few of them and they are ruthless. Most don't even use them, its just a commodity. BBSM15's for 1800.00. now thats a bargain. I just sold a pair for 5100.00 and thought I gave them away. They were in fantastic shape and included those custom stands. Would love to see pictures of the ones you have?

Ken
    You did give them away!!! These are not as nice as those but I'm working on it...with a little help from my Friends... Tossing around thoughts of veneer and dattoed corners...Here's a couple pics when they came through the door... I have sanded the horns back to "you'd never know" condition and given them a few generous coats of lemon oil. ALL foams and domes are incorrect (does not effect sound .) I am working on getting the recone kits now. Crossovers were jumped for various who knows what some body who would "repair" woofers like that would do to a crossover? I got a schematic (thank you again!) and am very meticulously going over every section. I think I will be inquiring of our really "talented" members for upgrade assistance with the crossovers before it's all said and done.
    I'm a NYS LMT by trade. My speaker passion turned into an unbelievable journey in the pursuit of the 3 B's, BIGGER, BETTER, BADDER!!! I've had contact with a few of the ruthless ones. I'm grateful to be who I am and still be so fortunate. I never even dreamed I'd get to hear half the stuff thats gone through my hands let alone sell it because I found something better. I am a very honored steward...
    Last edited by norealtalent; 12-16-2005 at 04:05 PM. Reason: clarity and spelling (I hate it when I do that!!!)

My mom came home and said she had some speakers for me.... they were heavy and had this insane looking grill on them. They were L166s....
    Excuse my ignorance.

norealtalent

A few more for Ian

I agree with Tom, the first pair and you're hooked. JUNKIE FOR LIFE!!!
    Don't remember which pairs these are.

norealtalent

A few more for Ian continued...

Still looking.....

best JBL finds

#3: Pair of L-19-s at a yard sale $40.

#2. C-34 (175 & 130) at a rummage sale $50
    http://www.audioheritage.org/photopo...500&ppuser=182

#1. D1002(130 & 275), C-50/S-7 & mystery speaker absolutely free
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=8239

Only in the C-34 was spotted while I was actively hitting the yard-sales.
    Others were just "Hey, wait a minute..." while I was driving by
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

[QUOTE=norealtalent]You did give them away!!! These are not as nice as those but I'm working on it...with a little help from my Friends... [QUOTE]

Post pics of the rear baffle so the members can see those crossovers. At the factory they have a whole section where they do nothing but hand wind the coils. They have three large racks with prototype passive crossovers. I must have counted 40 or 50 of them. Some coils are as big a beer cans and the caps are custom made. I have no doubt you will do a fine job.

Stay tuned for an interesting announcement.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky

Ken

norealtalent
    [QUOTE=Ken Pachkowsky][QUOTE=norealtalent]You did give them away!!! These are not as nice as those but I'm working on it...with a little help from my Friends...

Post pics of the rear baffle so the members can see those crossovers. At the factory they have a whole section where they do nothing but hand wind the coils. They have three large racks with prototype passive crossovers. I must have counted 40 or 50 of them. Some coils are as big a beer cans and the caps are custom made. I have no doubt you will do a fine job.

Ken
    I love interesting announcements!!! Thank you for the vote of confidence...
    Last edited by norealtalent; 12-16-2005 at 04:33 PM. Reason: almost forgot a thank you

Quote Originally Posted by glen
    #3: Pair of L-19-s at a yard sale $40.

#2. C-34 (175 & 130) at a rummage sale $50
    http://www.audioheritage.org/photopo...500&ppuser=182

#1. D1002(130 & 275), C-50/S-7 & mystery speaker absolutely free
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=8239

Only in the C-34 was spotted while I was actively hitting the yard-sales.
    Others were just "Hey, wait a minute..." while I was driving by
    I think that way back when, I got your other C-34 also for about $50-100. The components eventually went into my center channel and the cabinet got tossed or given away. If you are interested, I am getting ready to part with the woofer (still original) and could be convinced to part with the 175 (also still original) if the serial number is close and you are trying for a "matched" pair.

Once at Saugus swapmeet, for $50 for ALL, my brother got an LE-15A in a about a 2-3 cu ft cabinet AND an Altec 605A in a factory utility cabinet. (It was about 32 year ago now, so prices may have gone up a little.) The LE-15A had been sprayed with a white material with a rough texture. Best I can figure is that it was either to add mass or weatherproof it.

You got the good guy forumite discount on that W15GTi I just ask to be able to give it a listen once you get it set up
    Quote Originally Posted by toddalin
    A pair of L112s in excellant condition for $50/pr. The lady even threw in a beveled glass table top that we use along one wall. The beveled glass was worth well over $50.

Another nice find was an excellent pair of Apollo Cabinets with LE-14Cs/LX-2s that a friend GAVE me when I commented on them while at his house. They were replacing the carpet and were going to give them to the gardner. They also offered me the matching JBL center console (complete with Fisher solid-state receiver and an Ampex reel-to-reel) just to take it. It was too big for me and the gardner got it.

I offered this stuff on the forum to anyone who was interested (including the center cabinet before the gardner got it) and the Apollos went to a nice home at a reasonable price.

Oh, also just got a NEW W15GTI for $250.

My best find was a single L112 I got at a thrift store for $5 (they were going to throw it away because the surrounds were gone). It started down the path...

Thread Information