Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Your best JBL find

home sweet home ...

Our "best JBL find" may be for each of us in our own home ?

Sometimes i open original boxes to only watch my twenty years old perfect 4301B pair as new in the boxe ...

and i'm now thinking suddenly that i'd ever taken any pictures . I'll do !

BMW 700

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Would you settle for one of my 700 convertibles? I don't have any digitals of the bubblecars. I'll have to get busy scanning!

(The Velam Isetta and the 'schmidt aren't mine!)
    Hi Phil,

the 700 convertible in metallic blue was my first car....have to look for old pics.

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hofmannhp View Post
    the 700 convertible in metallic blue was my first car....have to look for old pics.
    This truly is a small world! The 700 is the car that saved BMW (does that make it the L100 of the line?), and the convertible is the cutest of the bunch. Greetings! We now share something else in common.

700 is very Kool!

Quote Originally Posted by Hofmannhp View Post
    Hi Phil,

the 700 convertible in metallic blue was my first car....have to look for old pics.HP
    700 is very Kool!

I used to have a 2002 Ti. It was Inca orange! Replaced the orig Solex carbs with twin Weber 45DCOE, Alpina head, Schrick cam, header, Bilstien sports, etc......

Suprised a lot of camaro and mustangs with it!

BMWCCA, your 700 looks incredible. I once visited a fellow who was trying to sell two of them in dilapidated condition and fell in love with their beautiful looks and diminutive size.

I owned an Isetta 300 ('63 I think) for a couple of years in the mid 1970s. It was the most fun I've ever had with a car that lacked a back seat. For those not familiar, the Isetta had a one cylinder engine, four speed manual tranny that was synchomesh except for first gear, and a gearshift on the left wall whose pattern was upside down and backwards from the usual. The steering wheel was mounted on the front opening door- the front of the car! Though pretty slow, it seemed really fast due to the willing, high revving engine. Best part was the brakes, which seemed to pull the car down from 30mph in about five feet while the car hopped up and down. The Isetta is less than half the length of a VW bug.

I used to buy parts from Marilyn Felling up in Topanga Canyon, who had bought out inventories of Isetta parts from BMW dealers. She was starting to have parts like window rubber custom made for her expanding business when I regrettably sold the car and fell out of touch with her. She must be out of bubblecars now, as I searched for her on the web not long ago and the only references I found were from many years ago.

On a trip to the local speaker repair shop (when i lived in Dallas) I asked them if they had any speakers for sale. or possibly speakers customers decided not to have fixed etc. He said yes and invited me to view the speakers in the back of the shop. This was a tiny shop packed with speakers and parts and boxes. as we walked down the narrow isle i tripped over a huge speaker cabinet. I said "what the hell is that thing?" Oh said oh yeah thats somethings you might want! it was a JBL B460 sub cabinet! $150 no driver, i snapped that thing up like donuts in a cop shop! Later he was able to find me a Basket for $25 that he reconed for another $85 for me. $260 and i had a sub that would literally wave the floor in my apt!

I will never forget the first time i got that thing home and hooked up. I had just put all my gear into a custom made metal rack. I had a Audio Control Phase Couple Activator for sub control and a Soundcraftsmen Pro Power 4 amp Bridged mono 900 watts powering the big JBL. I was playing Grace Jones Slave to the rhythm track 7 when all of a sudden EVERYTHING started shaking and moving on all the counters, i could feel my pant legs moving but i couldn't hear anything? I look over at the sub cone (of course i had the grille off!) and that sucker was moving some serious air, I look over at the meters on the amp and there PEGGED! I snapped the volume down, caught my breath, and started going over all the wiring in my system thinking i had goofed something up. Confident now that i hadn't. I start playing the track again. and sure enough in 2 spots there are heavy subsonic notes on the CD. Most CD players seem to block anything below 20hz, but the specs for Denon i had at that time listed the low end cut off at 5hz and i believe it now!

Years later, i fell on hard times and a friend was building a Home theater with some L300's and i sold him that Sub for his system. wish i had never done that!

Living in Dallas i came across many pairs of JBL's at estate sales, pawn shops, swap meets etc. L-100's, L-200's, L-300's, Lancer 44's, A friend found a custom pair of Hartsfields, my B460, L-220's (2 pairs!) and a few more i cant remember the numbers of.

My current PA system, a Pair of SR-4718's that i bought that needed a lot of TLC for $250 that i just rebuilt and recarpeted. and the owner of the company i used to work for gave me a pair of SP-212-6's for helping him with some stuff at his studio!

Zc

My best JBL find thus far is a pair of C-50 Monitors with the 375 compression drivers. See my other thread for details!!

I've only got one set of JBLs, but I've been waiting around for some for a long time. $60/pair for L110s on Craigslist. The guy had listed them at $30, and I didn't see the ad until over a day later. I called right away, and the owner said that he had already told another guy he could have them for $60, but he wasn't coming until later that night. I said I could be there right away, and I had a new set of speakers about 45 minutes later. One of the tweaters is dented a bit (which I'll try to repair), and I'll have to replace the foam surrounds. Still, I'm thinking this is a pretty good deal. I'll have to post pics later.

CheeseGrits, try using a vacuum cleaner to suck out the dome. The nozzle on my Kenmore vacuum fits perfectly over the dome and has an adjustable port to decrease/increase the suction. I used it on one of my original L110 tweeters back in the early 80's when one of my young boys pushed in a dome, worked quite well. Another trick is gently apply a piece of Gorilla tape (or a good duct tape) to the dented in portion and pull the tape off. If it's not a real deep dent it will pull it out.

Larry, A Happy Multiple L110 Owner

Quote Originally Posted by LRBacon View Post
    CheeseGrits, try using a vacuum cleaner to suck out the dome. The nozzle on my Kenmore vacuum fits perfectly over the dome and has an adjustable port to decrease/increase the suction. I used it on one of my original L110 tweeters back in the early 80's when one of my young boys pushed in a dome, worked quite well. Another trick is gently apply a piece of Gorilla tape (or a good duct tape) to the dented in portion and pull the tape off. If it's not a real deep dent it will pull it out.

Larry, A Happy Multiple L110 Owner
    Thanks a bunch for the advice. I'm afraid that the dent is a bit deep, and here is a picture:

I haven't tried the vacuum yet, but I did get... um... a bit personal with the tweeter. Maybe something with more constant suction would be better?

If it was mine I would open up the tweeter and push it out thru the back. If you know what your doing it's a breeze if not well forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    If it was mine I would open up the tweeter and push it out thru the back. If you know what your doing it's a breeze if not well forget it.
    This would be my first experience with something like this, but I'm handy and not completely dumb. Is there an issue with putting it back together that requires some specialized testing equipment? I thought I read that somewhere.

I'll probably open the tweeter up eventually, but I want to make sure I understand what I am getting myself into first. They are seemingly difficult to replace, so I am loathe to damage it further.

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseGrits View Post

I haven't tried the vacuum yet, but I did get... um... a bit personal with the tweeter. Maybe something with more constant suction would be better?
    Definitely need more suction than that!
    Try the vacuum. If you take it a part you'll have to unsolder at least one maybe both of the leads from the terminals and then try to get it them to lay flat again across the magnet structure. Good luck. BTW you have a pair of the original L110's, which were originally equipped with the LE111A woofers.

Larry
    Last edited by LRBacon; 08-30-2008 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Add additional info

I was pretty excited about my $50 pair of Jubals, excellent and all there with original manuals, warranty cards, and other documentation.

That would have to be my new-to-me XPL-200A's. I still can't believe I have found the speakers I have wanted since '92! One of the midrange domes is damaged, but I was able to locate a win the auction for a replacement on Ebay. Life is good!

Thread Information