Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Your best JBL find

Quote Originally Posted by toddrr View Post
    Well I picked up this pristine pair of L112's for $250 which I happily paid.
    He also had a pair of L-19's which he wanted $100 for... and I looked around and asked what do you want for that big receiver? He replied that he would throw it in with a kenwood KD-750 record player if I paid for the L-19's. Sure!

He also had all the paperwork, boxes, etc.

Not bad for the other stuff... does that count?

What is the model number of that Pioneer receiver? I've never seen that one before. Looks nice, like a rack mount SX-1280 or something?

What is the model number of that Pioneer receiver? I've never seen that one before. Looks nice, like a rack mount SX-1280 or something?
    Reconed

That receiver is the Pioneer SX-1980 with 270 watts per channel. I am amazed at the quality of sound from it too!

Quote Originally Posted by toddrr View Post
    Reconed

That receiver is the Pioneer SX-1980 with 270 watts per channel. I am amazed at the quality of sound from it too!
    toddrr, I remember seeing and listening to that particular receiver in a local stereo store in Port Angeles circa 1977-78. It is huge to say the least!!!!
    What does it weigh??

Larry

Thumbs up Introduction/My best find.

Hey all, newbie here. Mostly into the 43XX series. Glad to have found this forum!
    My best JBL find is a brand new sealed box set of 4301B's that I managed to get off of ebay about 5 hours ago. It was an estate sale of a pro audio company near Hollywood. I had a set of these when I was a kid and regreted selling them! Curently looking for a MINT tube Macinsquash receiver to buy.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The SX-1980 weighs almost 88 pounds, and yes it is by far the best sounding reveiver I have heard.....

However this is a JBL site, there is lots of info on these at Audiokarma

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by sdstarnes View Post
    Nice! How are the foam surrounds? If the box were sealed and air tight enough they might be almost unaltered. These are easy to change anyway: there is a step-by-step thread explaining how to do that in the DIY forum.

Quote Originally Posted by sdstarnes View Post
    Curently looking for a MINT tube Macinsquash receiver to buy.
    Back when they were new the Mac receivers were not that highly regarded. I doubt they've improved over time and those probably are transistor anyway. Go with separates, if you must have tubes, unless this is just a small system for the 4301Bs? Maybe it was just the snobbish reaction from owners of Mac separates at the time. I'm sure opinions on the subject differ. And maybe it's because the earliest Mac receiver I can recall was the 1700 which was (at least part) transistor and they were always in the shop.

I still enjoy listening to my McIntosh C20 tube pre-amp like I enjoy driving my BMW Isettas: Entertaining, but I'd not want to drive either very far or very hard! And both are worth far more on Ebay than I'd ever thought they'd be. In the spirit of the thread topic, I paid $125 for the C20 about the same time I bought a slightly used C37 030 system for $125. The '57 Isetta sliding-window convertible cost me $1100 twenty-five years ago, only because it was a convertible.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Back when they were new the Mac receivers were not that highly regarded. I doubt they've improved over time and those probably are transistor anyway. Go with separates...
    Good advice.

I still enjoy listening to my McIntosh C20 tube pre-amp like I enjoy driving my BMW Isettas.
    Now come on there... you can't tease us about your Isetta(s) and not show us a pic or two.

Widget

Would you settle for one of my 700 convertibles? I don't have any digitals of the bubblecars. I'll have to get busy scanning!

(The Velam Isetta and the 'schmidt aren't mine!)

You got bubblecars??
    i LOVE bubblecars!

There was a HUGE show at the Laurel raceway (Maryland) back in the 90s I think ... astonishing bunch of cars on display - and some were even drivable (e.g, not trailer queens). Isettas, Messerschmidts, all kinds of strange vehicles!

Would you settle for one of my 700 convertibles? I don't have any digitals of the bubblecars. I'll have to get busy scanning!
    (The Velam Isetta and the 'schmidt aren't mine!)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    You got bubblecars??
    i LOVE bubblecars!

There was a HUGE show at the Laurel raceway (Maryland) back in the 90s I think ... astonishing bunch of cars on display - and some were even drivable (e.g, not trailer queens). Isettas, Messerschmidts, all kinds of strange vehicles!
    Funny you should mention it; that's where the photo above was taken. Must have been around 1996. Could have been one you went to. I only trailered that 700 when I bought it. It's been to the DC area at least twice (200-mile round trip). I've got three Isettas (and three 700 convertibles), and will probably sell one or more on Ebay when I'm ready to either build a house, pay more college tuition for child #3, or buy myself a pair of L300s as a new-house-warming present. I've forewarned my wife. Hopefully the dollar will be worth something by then! Tough to tap the Japanese market for Isettas while the dollar is in the tank because shipping's too expensive and too much trouble. But I guess they buy Paragons and an Isetta 300 isn't that much bigger. Hmmmm. Summertime project.

And, in keeping with the theme of this thread, the person I bought the 700 pictured from paid over $19,000 for it. I paid him around $9000 for it 110 miles and many years later. He'd let it sit in a warehouse and was frustrated when nothing on it worked after laying dormant. According to several folks at BMW, it is the most original un-restored 700 convertible in the world. I've been unable to prove them wrong in the past fifteen years. I have no intention of finding out what it's really worth any time soon.

foam surrounds?

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Nice! How are the foam surrounds? If the box were sealed and air tight enough they might be almost unaltered. These are easy to change anyway: there is a step-by-step thread explaining how to do that in the DIY forum.
    Thanks for the reply. Seller said they are mint. We'll see. I paid a lot for these with shipping and all....

Back when they were new the Mac receivers were not that highly regarded. I doubt they've improved over time and those probably are transistor anyway. Go with separates, if you must have tubes, unless this is just a small system for the 4301Bs? Maybe it was just the snobbish reaction from owners of Mac separates at the time. I'm sure opinions on the subject differ. And maybe it's because the earliest Mac receiver I can recall was the 1700 which was (at least part) transistor and they were always in the shop.

I still enjoy listening to my McIntosh C20 tube pre-amp like I enjoy driving my BMW Isettas: Entertaining, but I'd not want to drive either very far or very hard! And both are worth far more on Ebay than I'd ever thought they'd be. In the spirit of the thread topic, I paid $125 for the C20 about the same time I bought a slightly used C37 030 system for $125. The '57 Isetta sliding-window convertible cost me $1100 twenty-five years ago, only because it was a convertible.
    Thanks!
    Just kinda' did a knee jerk reaction mentioning a Macintosh, Just sounds like a good match for my 4301's. Probably more that I need to spend right now though.

Got My L100's for 20 bucks. Got my Santana's for 30. Got my L26's for 20. Pretty much the best JBL deals I have ever got.

Quote Originally Posted by DaCarlson View Post
    Got My L100's for 20 bucks. Got my Santana's for 30. Got my L26's for 20. Pretty much the best JBL deals I have ever got.
    Well, your three pair beats my full house.
    Congratulations!
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Thread Information