Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Your best JBL find

waltband
    Best JBl find -- a great set of 4311B's at an estate sale $10 -- cool

majick47

Best JBL Find/This Week

Yesterday I bought another pair of L100 off CL Boston for $150. Very nice condition, original owner with sales receipt, he gave me the two owners manuals and the L100 sales brochure that came with the speakers. Foam grills long gone, will need the wood inserts for the grills, already have some of Zilches JBL blue cloth. The L pads need a cleaning, a few minor scratches on the bottom of one speaker, a light sanding and reoiling should make them looking good. All drivers look/sound excellent.

truckload sale

Quote Originally Posted by 57BELAIRE View Post
    Paragon #278 was purchased off the back of a truck at the Sunrise Flea Market in Ft. Lauderdale for $400 by my friend Jamie whom I convinced to sell to me.

The vendor said he bid on the contents of a storage bin that was being auctioned off to pay delinquent fees. He had no idea of it's worth...Jamie had a clue...but not really. He was going to part it out so I figured at least I could score the enclosure and go from there.

It had all the original components (150-4c's, 375's, o75's, N400's and N7000's) It was missing the refractor panel and one rear leg.

Well, as it happened, the most unlikely person saved this Paragon....
    HIS WIFE!!!! She took one look at this monster in her livingroom and said "NO WAY!!!

I jumped on the opportunity and offered him $2500...I would have gladly paid double that!...he accepted and the rest is history.

So Paragon #278 now sits proudly in my living room (most of it anyway)and is a feast for the eyes and ears for this old JBL diehard.
    Here's the pics I received asking if I was interested in some "old JBL boxes".
    ( I thought they were lost)...one man's trash is another man's treasure.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    OPUS POCUS

Infinity RS-6000s at a garage sale. All they needed was four woofer refoams. I wentt back at the end of the day and he GAVE them to me. Minor water damage on the base. The acoustically suspended four 10" woofers blew me away, as did the under 2ohm impedance, which blew my Denon away a few times.

L-112s at a garage sale. Needed new surrounds. I was an Infinity guy and didn't know what the L-112s were but they were heavy, had sequential serial numbers and looked to be good quality. I offered her $15 for the pair which she gladly accepted. Refoamed them, couldn't believe how lifelike they were, promptly bought four spare 044 tweeters (now have only three), and sold my Infinitys!!!

4311B's on Craigslist for $30. Guy said they needed work. I mailed him a check and he dropped them off a month or so later (nice guy!). They look great but do not work much at all. I suspect the L Pads need work. I'll get to it later.

375 + 2440 + H93 +Xover for $525 & Free L100 (pair)

Here are what I "found" for this week:

1) One 375 (in excllent condition) + One 2440 (Some paint chipped) + One H93 Horn + One Xover (all for $525.00)
    2) A pair L100 (broken grills) for Free

They are in working condition!

Not bad, heh!

a pair of jbl xpl90's
    The audioshop in town got a new owner (1993) and didnt think much of jbl. i bought them for about 30% of there worth. I was a student and it was all the money i had otherwise i would have bought the xpl200. he sold that for a 1000 guilders that was about 500 dollar?
    he's out of buisness now because he thought phillips was "the bomb"
    finally i have a pair of 604 8g's....there not easy to find in the netherlands

L166

Lucky me found a pair of L166 in Garage Sale (Toronto,ON,Canada), paid CAD40 and both in excellent condition except need to replace the surround.the grills in mint condition and I really like it..
    Last edited by hoto; 07-22-2007 at 07:50 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by hoto View Post
    Lucky me found a pair of L166 in Garage Sale (Toronto,ON,Canada), paid CAD40 and both in excellent condition except need to replace the surround.the grills in mint condition and I really like it..
    VERY COOL!!!!!

Like them too - looks like remarkable clean cabs, grills and components - what a bargain. Congrats!

And this....

forget to mention that I also pick-up a Home made Metragon fr Local craigslist for Cad1200 last summer. Build around 70's with 075/130D, but not using JBL N2400 crossover, I end up found one on ebay and put them back, repaint the back and it looks like this now(see attached).
    Noticed that a copy not worth much money but consider it's hard to found one nowadays(at least in Toronto) and even if found one I probaly not have $ for this, I decided to jump on this and my wife not really like it (too big), but all my friends like it's look and always suprises about what JBL can do /make.(wait until they see the real one...paragon/L300/metragon..etc)I assume most of the forum member will not buy this copycat, but IMO it still one of my best found.

00Robin
    The rich tones of the wood and the workmanship is a piece of art. A lovely piece of furniture really. Lucky you!

gpakyle

Church Flea Market Find

I am brand new to this site and this is my first post. I can't think of anything better to post my first time than a description of my recent find at our church flea market. I had no idea of the history or value of this speaker when I first saw it, but I am learning fast! People at the sale looked at the speaker and thought "too old and too big." I looked at it and thought "old, big, beautiful, and probably of very high quality." I believe I was correct.

The second day of our sale we put things at half price. That meant that the speaker that was originally priced at $75.00 was now for sale at $37.50. I couldn't take it any longer - I said "I'll take it!" I have since done a lot of looking on the internet and learned a lot about the speaker, including it's value. I'm starting to feel guilty! Here is what I have: (probably from 1949)

Driver: 604B
    Crossover: N-1000-B
    Cabinet: 605

I know the lady who gave this speaker to the church for the sale. She said she and her husband (now deceased) were given the speaker by a friend in the mid 1950's. It was just sitting in her basement not being used since her husband died about 2 years ago.

I would be interested in hearing what anyone might have to say about this speaker.

Altec

Welcome....37.5 for 1 or 2 speakers??Anyways .....who care,you get a really good deals and BEAT me...

lovely piece of history

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...alogs/1949.htm

search for "altec 604B" on Ebay for more examples and a bit of info
    (including some 605 cabs that someone is expecting a large sum for).

-grumpy

Those look very living room friendly, wish I had a pair.

Thread Information