Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Your best JBL find

Quote Originally Posted by roads31 View Post
    Hello all you tinnitus suffering enthusiasts,

I was heading into a thrift store and right inside the door was a pair of Sovereigns. I did my best not-interested JBL shuffle over to them and saw no price, as I tried to ask the clerk the price without showing too much interest, her reply was "$29.95", as she saw me twitch she then said, "each". I feined a little disappointent as I shakily dug the money out of my pockets. The added adrenline coursing through my veins made it possible for me to load these into my Saturn Vue solo, as easily as carrying a pair of Decade 26's. They are great sounding speakers with LE15's and 375's.

Thanks James
    "But then I won't have enough money left for my Parkinson's medicine. Can't you do better?"

Incredible scores you guys . . . and those Sovereigns!!

Here's a few of mine . . .

A pair of 240ti's for $100 in absolute mint condition except for foam. The lady told me she bought them new for $800 each in '85 or so.

A pair of L150A's in great condition for $200

A pair of L50's near mint with JBL stands at a Goodwill for $50.

Most cherished of all, a Friday the 13th CL grab. A pair of L56's near mint needed foam & cat clawed grill cloth. This gentleman told me he wanted to spread good karma to a person who could appreciate great sound. He bought them new. They sound great in my office. Free.

Definite 4628B
    46 lover

a good friend of mine picked up 10 (ten) JBL sets yesterday, all had grills & logos
    and good cabs.

3 prs. L36
    4 prs. L100
    3 prs. 4311

a few of the tweets not working .....but $400 for everything....
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I found these this weekend at Goodwill

Apollo C51's for $60. In decent condition and putting out amazing sound in my garage! Is there anyway to identify the components without removing them?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Way to Score, mtrain!

As I mentioned over on AK, not the best re-surround job! But for what you paid, you can afford to have the woofers reconstructed into something worthy of the rest of the kit.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by mtrain View Post
    Apollo C51's for $60. In decent condition and putting out amazing sound in my garage! Is there anyway to identify the components without removing them?
    Probably LE15A's with LE85s.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    As I mentioned over on AK, not the best re-surround job! But for what you paid, you can afford to have the woofers reconstructed into something worthy of the rest of the kit.
    You will have to pardon my ignorance or if I ask silly questions, but I had absolutely no idea I was purchasing or the amazing legacy of JBL speakers until I bought these and started doing research to see what I had bought. I stumbled upon this website and audiokarma and they have been great sources of information.. Would refoaming be more of a cosmetic thing as opposed to audio quality? Like to get them back to original condition? What does something like that run? Do you know anyone in the Seattle area that would be capable of doing the job properly? Right now they sound beautiful to my untrained ear, but I am always curious to learn more about cool stuff like these.

If I were you, I'd enjoy them for awhile for the $60 invested... then sell them
    at a handy profit to someone who will then spend the several hundred dollars+
    required to really get them back into shape. No point in trying to fix them up
    inexpensively, as that will be wasted cash. Keep those grilles safe until you sell
    them.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Keep those grilles safe until you sell
    them.
    Yeah... with a "Made in Mexico" 4338 grille running about $180 I'd reckon those grilles are worth several times more.

Didnt take long

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    a good friend of mine picked up 10 (ten) JBL sets yesterday, all had grills & logos
    and good cabs.

3 prs. L36
    4 prs. L100
    3 prs. 4311

a few of the tweets not working .....but $400 for everything....
    http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/2348161325.html

vintage JBL L-100 (4) - $1000 (ne portland)

Date: 2011-04-26, 5:12PM PDT
    Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
    selling set of 4 (2pair ) vintage JBL L-100 the speaker for my collection they are oustanding condition and working ,stand included call 503 ........ to see and hear ,first $1000.00 take them THANK
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by mtrain View Post
    You will have to pardon my ignorance or if I ask silly questions, but I had absolutely no idea I was purchasing or the amazing legacy of JBL speakers until I bought these and started doing research to see what I had bought. I stumbled upon this website and audiokarma and they have been great sources of information.. Would refoaming be more of a cosmetic thing as opposed to audio quality? Like to get them back to original condition? What does something like that run? Do you know anyone in the Seattle area that would be capable of doing the job properly? Right now they sound beautiful to my untrained ear, but I am always curious to learn more about cool stuff like these.
    Wow, congrats on your great luck at the thrifts.

Morgan Sound in Lynnwood did the surrounds on the 15" bass driver in my 4430s about 10 years ago - before I purchased them a couple of years ago. According to their website, they do certified warranty repair for JBL. http://www.morgansound.com/speaker.html Good luck with those classic speakers! Feel free to shoot me a PM if you'd like to chat about these.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

80sKid

L60t

So, I've previously posted here about how my first pair of JBLs was the L60t.

That was more than 20 years ago and the speakers were sold to a friend less than 2 years after I bought them.

This week, I was given a pair of 60's by a 90-year-old friend, who no longer wants them. I had indicated to him in the past that I would be interested in the speakers, should he ever be looking to find a new home for them. They've been in his beach house for a long time, but he's now looking to sell that house and is clearing it out.

So I have yet another pair of speakers under my roof (which, frankly, I need like a hole in the head <g>). So this brings my current JBL ownership to:
    S38
    S38II
    S310II
    S36II
    Harmony (all-in-one, portable stereo)

I haven't heard the speakers yet, as they have foam rot which needs to be addressed. I'm debating whether or not to do it myself.

And I'm hoping that once I'm done that the L60t sounds better than I remember from 1988.

4333's at an estate sale... $100.00 and this year a pair of Altec 19's for $200.00...my girl found the Altecs for me

Thread Information