Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Your best JBL find

Paragon #278 was purchased off the back of a truck at the Sunrise Flea Market in Ft. Lauderdale for $400 by my friend Jamie whom I convinced to sell to me.

The vendor said he bid on the contents of a storage bin that was being auctioned off to pay delinquent fees. He had no idea of it's worth...Jamie had a clue...but not really. He was going to part it out so I figured at least I could score the enclosure and go from there.

It had all the original components (150-4c's, 375's, o75's, N400's and N7000's) It was missing the refractor panel and one rear leg.

Well, as it happened, the most unlikely person saved this Paragon....
    HIS WIFE!!!! She took one look at this monster in her livingroom and said "NO WAY!!!

I jumped on the opportunity and offered him $2500...I would have gladly paid double that!...he accepted and the rest is history.

So Paragon #278 now sits proudly in my living room (most of it anyway)and is a feast for the eyes and ears for this old JBL diehard.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    OPUS POCUS

norealtalent
    Nice score. When did you aquire the Paragon?

Quote Originally Posted by norealtalent
    Nice score. When did you aquire the Paragon?
    It's been about a year. The finish is "ebony" but is actually more of a laminate. I found a near perfect match (Wilsonart semi-gloss black) and plan on restoring it to it's former glory.

Although it doesn't need the refractor panel to achieve that incredible soundstage for aesthetic purposes it does.

I know there are some forum members out there with exceptional woodworking skills that might have some ideas on how to recreate the panel.
    I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
    OPUS POCUS

norealtalent
    Thankyou. I was privelaged to see Oldmics Paragon just before it left but I never did get to hear that legendary sound. Someday I will be so fortunate... Subwoof is REALLY talented with the woodworking. He may be able to direct you with refraction panel techniques...

Quote Originally Posted by andresohc
    You got the good guy forumite discount on that W15GTi I just ask to be able to give it a listen once you get it set up
    You got it! The three 2205's (being redone as 2235's) will be out of OCS this coming week, so maybe we could arrange a visit/movie between Christmas and New Years, or shortly thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by 57BELAIRE
    Paragon #278 was purchased off the back of a truck at the Sunrise Flea Market in Ft. Lauderdale for $400 by my friend Jamie whom I convinced to sell to me.

The vendor said he bid on the contents of a storage bin that was being auctioned off to pay delinquent fees.
    I had some friends that managed a storage facility in Rockland County, NY, I was lucky enough to win some bids on storage-bins-gone-unpaid, one of the best was when Ron Isley went bankrupt (before he won the Michael Bolton lawsuit). I got his 1863 Steinway Square Grand for a pittance, others got his old Lincoln Continental, a Harley chopper and two other Steinways. Oh, and LOTS (LOTS!) of gold & red velvet furniture.

I also won a bid on the storage garage of a guy that used to maintain the county school district's AV gear, for $75 or so. After a load of sorting through crap, I ended up with a bunch of great old mics, tubes, etc. that were useful or at least valuable.

Feels somehow dirty to root through the detritus of other folk's ruined lives, but I'm a dumpster diver, I pretty much have no shame.

je

I collect mostly the early stuff from the Jim Lansing era- Lansing Mfg. Co., Altec and JBL. Usually for me just finding the stuff is the score, as I most often happily pay through the nose to the resellers who do the hard work to find the items. Some of the pieces are so rare I am happy to obtain them in any condition, and regard them primarily as historical artifacts.

In this context probably my greatest score was the Lansing 500A monitor system that came out of Manual Arts High School auditorium. It is the actual piece referred to in LMCo's bulletin sales sheet (see "History Found" article on this site under Perspectives). This system was missing its woofer, but I later acquired the correct 15XS woofer, serial #49.

Not far behind is a 1947 or 1948 JBL D-1002 two way system with all original components. It is from the Venice factory, and was likely assembled by Jim Lansing.

The earliest JBL products were hand built by Jim Lansing at his ranch in San Marcos, CA. So far I have scored two D-101 15" drivers (JBL's first product), and one D-130 with San Marcos label.

Another nice piece is an oddball LMCo. compression driver, model 199E, serial number 10. It has a 2" diaphragm and 1" exit. It looks to be an experimental piece from the development effort for the Shearer Horn System. They apparently tried several different formats before settling on the 2.84" diaphragm and 1.5" exit of the 284 driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford
    Feels somehow dirty to root through the detritus of other folk's ruined lives, but I'm a dumpster diver, I pretty much have no shame.

je

Back in 1973/74 when I worked for the Thomas Organ Company as a line technician, we also produced some of the VOX (mostly Cry Baby's and Churchhill PA systems) and Moog equipment (Moog Satellite that was also built into their top-line organs). Some of the high end VOX equipment (Churchhill PA and custom Super Beatles) used JBL. Thomas used to toss HL-89's with wavy plates (used in the PA) and ??? in the dumpsters ALL THE TIME! I had friends who used to dive for this stuff. Thomas ended up fencing the trash area with chainlink and barbwire to put an end to it. Thomas Organ Company was also located in Northridge (Hayvenhurst just north of Roscoe) close to the JBL factory.

They would also sell off stuff to the employees. Had a friend who bought a one-off plexiglass Super Beatle with JBLs and small horn for I believe $100. Was very cool being of all plexiglass and the heatsinks/chassie/etc. were all chrome plated.

When I lived in Florida I visited the Sunrise Flea Market at least twice a month. Got a few incredible deals there on equipment but never anything like a Paragon. talk about not knowing what he had, one search or two on Google or eBay and he would have been in fat city.

No Internet Then

Back then ebay and google were not even thought of. Also newer interests
    were the big 43XX series. Did not seem to be a big interest on the paragons.
    People viewed them as older sounding technology

Thumbs up best JBL find

I think the 2 best finds for the money were a pair of L112s for $65.00,And an old mid 70s Altec lansing pro amp model 9440 Alpha- 200 watts into 8 ohms 400 into 4 ohms 800 watts in mono mode for $195.00. the cost new in 1975 was $2995.00 great amp works as good as it did in 75 HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all

Maron Horonzakz
    Making the refracer panel will not be easy...I made two 25 yrs ago. You need to make a jig to hold the curved laminated panels as you glue them together. 1/8 masonite.. I forgot how many layers plus final layer of veneer. This when glue is cured & dry will hold its final shape. I dont remember the dia. of curve. It was on the plans. Maybe some one else with blue prints can give you that number. The panel will slip easily into slots on left/right horn cabinets. Its been so long ago. I made two complete Paragons. JBL at the time was so kind to sell me the front carved legs. Although I did carve a pair for some one else. It took 4 months to complete the project for both Paragons. ...Maron

I'll bring the Naptha.....

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    What did you burn the components with? I have a bunch of NOS LE15A's and 375's (red wax seals intact) that I want to burn.

Weenie roast at Giskards place !!!!
    LE15-Thumper
    "Give me JBL, or give me death"

Comin Clean

Well here I go letin the Rabbit out of the hat
    I"m at the local thrift and while cruzin the furniture section I stop dead in my tracks There they are two blocks of JBL Summit L-300's, step back to take it all in foam rott thats to be exspected ok what the heck are these jewel like tweeters I grab the floor manager to put my name on em SOLD TO ME I've never been so nervous wating for my card to process! $100.00 !!

Quote Originally Posted by Neoman
    I've never been so nervous wating for my card to process! $100.00 !!
    Now, thats a goodie!

Thread Information