Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Your best JBL find

Maron Horonzakz
    BMWCCA.....I too remember Hi Fi ShowRoom in Clayton. John Marshall (owner) Has since left this world. He was a generous man. When I was biulding my paragon cabinet. He orderd the front legs from JBL for the project. After it was completed I displayed it in his showroom for a few months, out of gratitude.... One of his employies (Walt) Had bought a Paragon for himself. He couldnt tell the difference between the two. I wonder what happend to him & his Paragon.

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    What did you burn the components with? I have a bunch of NOS LE15A's and 375's (red wax seals intact) that I want to burn.
    Oh my! Don't tease me about NOS LE15A's destined for the incinerator..... I could sure use a nice set of 16 ohm-ers if anyone has a set.

JBL L110

Picked them up at a flea market for $10.00. The cabinets are in ruff shape and missing one grill. They do sound perfect.

JBL 4333's at a local thrift for $100.00. Intact and completely original. I also traded them for a pair fo L250's of which I felt was an upgrade!!!

I picked up a large pair of speakers that had a round JBL dial on the back at a thrift store for $75. It was my first vintage JBL sighting so I didn't know anything about JBL. Upon further research, I found it has the S1 package inside. The cabinets will look really good when refinished.

Bill F.

Not JBL, but...

About four years ago, I bought an Electro-Voice Patrician IV for $65 at a rummage sale. All original, only minor finish issues here and there. I sold it about 6 months later, and the proceeds paved my driveway, bought a new 4-piece living room set, and provided all the seed money I needed to keep my audio hobby off the family budget to date.

Fortune smiled on me today. No JBL components, but I've got to blab about my score anyway.

Two days ago an old friend and fellow piano technician called out of the blue. He had just looked at a piano for sale, and the owner had pointed to two large loudspeakers and said that they were free for the taking. The speakers had belonged to a deceased relative, the property had been sold and the family was trying to clear the place out. My friend couldn't take them (SAF issues), but he thought I might be interested.

I asked my friend to describe the speakers, but I could not identify them based on our conversation. He described them as "gigantic", and said that one had a large green Altec horn in front and the other was similar but contained Jensen components. I contacted the owner, and arranged to visit this morning. The location was about 35 miles away.

When I arrived I was taken to the room where they were located, on the back of the property. I was delighted to find two Jensen Imperial utility corner enclosures! They were both home built examples, mismatched in appearance, but of the same external dimensions and general construction.These enclosures are large hyperbolic back loaded horns, shaped to be placed in a corner, and can be used in either of two orientations (like an Altec 825). When fitted with the G-610 Triaxial driver, the horn mouth is located at the floor. When fitted with the separate three way system components, the horn mouth is at the top with the midrange horn and tweeter located in the mouth. These systems were both configured mouth up.

One appeared to be fitted with the typical Jensen Imperial three way system components: RP-302 tweeter, RP-201 midrange horn and driver, 15" woofer. The other one had once used the Jensen pieces, but they had been removed and been replaced with Altec components: 511A horn with 802D driver, N500D crossover, and what appeared to be an accordian edge Altec 15" woofer. The Altec horn had been grafted into the Imperial enclosure in an unusual but craftsmanlike manner. The horn is fitted with the flange flush to the cabinet and just below the bass horn mouth. The horn travels through what is ordinarily a wasted space in the box, with the horn throat and driver protruding into the bass horn path behind.

The owner wouldn't take anything for the speakers, and refused my offer to come back and help the family move from the residence. It took two round trips to bring the speakers home, as only one would fit into my small station wagon.

This afternoon I opened the enclosures up to clean, identify components and tighten hardware. The one with the Jensen parts has the correct P-15LL woofer; the other one has a green Altec 416A woofer. I've only taken a quick listen to them so far, but everything works and sounds good. The bass sounds quite impressive- in a room with good corners and the horn mouths located at the floor it should really be something.

Thumbs up Excellent

You must be feeling good about this, and you really did help the family by taking them, too. That's win-win-win.

1. Saved some vintage gear.
    2. Acquired some vintage gear.
    3. Helped a family solve a disposal problem.

The karmic wheel is running deep in your direction.
    Out.

Thanks, TD. I still feel funny about accepting a pile of good equipment for free from strangers, but they really did just want them gone. My burden of gear and space shortage is now greater, not that I am complaining!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell
    Thanks, TD. I still feel funny about accepting a pile of good equipment for free from strangers... not that I am complaining!
    Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, and the equipment couldn't have ended up in better hands! It's just your good karma catching up with you.
    Congrats!
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Steve,
    If you still have that funny feeling, you could call them, tell them how pleased you are, and ask if they have a favorite charity. Since they won't except money, you could donate something to a good cause.

Quote Originally Posted by glen
    Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, and the equipment couldn't have ended up in better hands! It's just your good karma catching up with you.
    Congrats!
    I agree....congrads on your score..

My best find...just a couple weeks ago

Just a couple weeks ago I found a pair of JBL L100 Century's at Savers Thrift Store here in Phoenix.

Price was $27.02 including tax.

Both are in very good condition, no original grilles.

Only problem is both tweeters are not working. They are currently being looked at by Dyna-Tronics here in Phoenix, Az.

Can't wait to get them back and listen to them.

I know it is not finding a Paragon of L300's for $100, but I think it was still a good deal.

Tag sale find

4311b with beaten, rotted and gnawed cabinets, and 5 out of 6 domes pushed in, $61, sound great given to a friend at cost for karmic purposes.

SO, it really DOESN'T affect the sound.

[I jus' KNEW it! ]

Thread Information