Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Your best JBL find

80sKid
    My two best JBL finds:

Circa 1988, I bought a demo pair of L60t at the going out of business sale for a electronics retailer in the Hartford, CT area. Don't remember the exact $$$ but I do clearly remember that it was 1/3 of their usual price. Although there was a negative -- one of the tweeters turned out to be intermittent. Got a replacement from JBL quickly. Only problem is, the speakers were too bright for my liking once both titanium domes were working. So I sold them.

My most recent find: A mint pair of S38 II in black _with_ stands for $100.
    Last edited by 80sKid; 08-14-2010 at 11:38 PM. Reason: corrected speaker model number

best JBL a pair of black 4312B's in perfect shape 10.00
    or 48 jbl pro drivers for 35.00 each...
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

Quote Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
    Last edited by 80sKid; Today at 02:38 AM. Reason: corrected speaker model number
    That would explain your not liking them. No one ever complains about the L20T.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I had L20T3's and 18Ti's ...both were very good , but
    did not care for L80t's and have never read of anyone
    that cared for the L60T.....was there a PRO equivalent
    (as some of the LxxT series did ) ?

Quote Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
    Circa 1988, I bought a demo pair of L60t a Only problem is, the speakers were too bright for my liking once both titanium domes were working. So I sold them.
    same complaint that I had with the L80T , tho seems better with the substitution of the T3 network...from what I've read.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

80sKid
    At that point in time, I was really fixated on getting a pair of JBLs, because a friend of mine had 4311 and I liked them.

The L60t was one of a handful of JBLs still left at this sale, which were in my budget and did not have an exterior loaded with nicks and scuffs.

They sounded very good in the showroom, so that's why I got them. But I was not yet of an age where I understood what a room does to the sound of speakers and how they would potentially be different in my own space. I'm sure the showroom was taming those high frequencies.

Of course being an out of business sale, it was all sales final. Never again did I buy speakers brand new without a 30 day return policy.

Nowadays, I get most of my speakers used.
    Last edited by 80sKid; 08-16-2010 at 07:42 AM. Reason: clarification

My best find must be the complete L250 and B460 including the BX63 frequency dividing network. Here is a picture:

80sKid
    Those are so beautiful.

I have yet to hear the model 250.

But I have always lusted after them just for their beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by nibbe View Post
    My best find must be the complete L250 and B460 including the BX63 frequency dividing network. Here is a picture:

Those are beauties to be sure. What did they cost you?

on the B460, what is the "shiny" area near the surround? might be the picture ???

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

I sold a pair of L250's as nice as those and the buyer loves them.

Still have the 250Ti's though.

Just sold two pairs, they can make your ears bleed with the wrong choices and room.

Hated the fact there was no way to turn the HF down a bit without it being a project beyond a standard amp scheme or receiver.

Bass and fullness was always amazing though.

Hard as nails they were.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Just sold two pairs, they can make your ears bleed with the wrong choices and room.
    Okay, that makes one person.

Didn't something else just make your ears bleed in a recent post, too? I've got a spare EQ if you're that hard up. Wouldn't want all that blood to mess up your listening room carpet.

Tissue paper in front of the tweeter could work for you, too. Or in your ears?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

80sKid
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post

Hated the fact there was no way to turn the HF down a bit without it being a project beyond a standard amp scheme or receiver.

Bass and fullness was always amazing though.

Hard as nails they were.
    Yeah, and my listening room at the time was reasonably well damped now that I look back on how it was furnished. So that wasn't the issue. Plus the speakers were paired with a nice NAD integrated amp, so it wasn't the fault of a unpleasant-sounding amplifier, either.

Yes, the L60t enclosure is like a rock. I don't remember much response at all to wrapping my knuckles on the side. I actually fell into one of the L60t in the middle of the night (tripped on something on the floor) and whacked my nose on it. For 15 minutes, I felt like I had broken my nose.

My best 'find' are my S/2600's. I don't know how many are in the United States but I do not think that many. Fairly rare and very good.

...Superb with high power, such as my McIntosh MC402 amp. SS all the way!!!

Thread Information