Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair trigger moderator - or censorship ?

Hair trigger moderator - or censorship ?

A few days ago I was involved in a thread that was unexpectedly terminated. I say unexpectedly because there was no reason I could see for this to be. It was in the 'off topic' forum where I thought anything (almost) went. The thread had started out as a tribute of sorts to American WWII Vets. Among some of the statements I felt there were some inaccuracies and so I expressed my opinion. Thus began a very mildly heated exchange with the harshest word used being 'ignorant'. I have seen much worse than this in an exchange over grill cloth. That was it, an otherwise somewhat mildly heated discussion over a potentialy heated subject - the A-Bombing of Japan.

Anyways.. out of the blue 'this thread is closed". I PM'd the moderator and asked: ' curious as to why you closed the thread as it was in the 'off topic' forum. What, we can't have a civilized discussion?

Answer :"Sure, if it stays that way. I have seen too many discussions along the same lines degenerate into a free for all. Would rather shut it down than see that happen".

Now what I would like to know is if this is standard policy or what ?? Having someone step in and end a thread that might become heated BEFORE it actually does is kind of like having your knuckles rapped as you are reaching for the cookie jar. Are we so immature and unable to control ourselves on this forum that we need someone to police us that strongly? Or, was the thread teminated because someone did not like what I had to say ?

Maybe, just maybe, the moderator had an itchy trigger finger that day... I certainly hope so.

What think you ?

Bernard

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Wolf
    What think you ?
    I think I shouldn't have started the thread. You can rest assured that I won't be starting any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    I think I shouldn't have started the thread. You can rest assured that I won't be starting any more.
    well, they do say you shouldn't talk about politics or religion with friends.. but I don't know about that. What I do know is that I run an open used book store and we have all kinds of discussions all the time - including religion. Sometimes heated, but usually we manage to control ourselves. I don't see why a open forum should be any different although things do seem to heat up a lot quicker when there is no chance of getting bopped on the nose .

But really, shouldn't we be able to discuss whatever without it being a problem? Or is that just not doable on-line?

Since I am the guy who shut it down I will be glad to respond. We are here to enjoy our hobby. We are not here to solve the troubles of the world. To wait for it to become a free for all or wait till when it turns bad is to let someone’s feeling be hurt or worse. This is a friendly forum and when I am on the board I try to make sure it stays that way. If you think I made a bad decision well l am OK with that. I don’t and stand by shutting it down. Curious to see what the rest think. Here's the link.

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...5&page=1&pp=15

Why don't you read it and see if I jumped the gun??

Rob

I was following it at the time, and I, too, was concerned that it might get more personal. I'd prefer if we didn't beat up on each other here, no matter how divergent the opinion....

I have to agree with Rob. Too many times, here as well as other forums, I`ve seen topics involving politics and sensitive issue denegrate into arguments, and verbal brawls!

Lansing Heritage just really isnt the place for these discussions.

My opinion, but I do hope you understand.

scottyj

I was glad to see it shut down. I come here to relax. What started out as a tribute to veterans of Pearll Harbor that day, turned out to be another bashing between two opposing views that weren't going to change either way. Nothing wrong with discussion about morals and world history but AOL has a boat load of boards for that. I respect your opinion........but I'm glad the discussion was closed. Discussions about JBLs flow better without tensions whether expressed or hidden.

Bernard...

Not to abuse the metaphor, but it is a minefield out there - everytime religion, war, or whatever non-JBL enters the fray, it ends awkward. I enjoy the recognition of the US contribution historically, and Giskard is often one who reminds in a very poignant way, IMO. Anyway, Rob was right to close the thread. These things are better discussed on other sites...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Bernard...

Not to abuse the metaphor, but it is a minefield out there - everytime religion, war, or whatever non-JBL enters the fray, it ends awkward. I enjoy the recognition of the US contribution historically, and Giskard is often one who reminds in a very poignant way, IMO. Anyway, Rob was right to close the thread. These things are better discussed on other sites...
    Well, I did think off topic was off topic, in other words non-JBL. Be that as it may I responded basically to someone saying it was a good idea to drop the bomb on Japan when I don't think that it was. I mean, this whole thing becomes rather problematic in a hurry does it not? Nothing like real life at all. So what we should call the 'Off Topic" forum then is "Make Nice Forum" and the second anyone says anything that might cause a flap it gets pulled immediately ? Ok, I can live with that no problem. However I do reserve the right, I hope, to respond when something I disagree with is said. Otherwise lets not call it a forum, or better yet not have an 'Off Topic" forum at all.

Bernard

Lighten up on the Moderator!

It's a thankless job. Somebody has to do it. We should be grateful they donate their time, otherwise we would have no forum as we currently know it.

Bernard, I understand what you are saying, and tend to agree, but if I had just let your post pass without challenging, there would have been no thread closure. The reality is, people seldom ever change someone elses view, so even though I felt compelled to disagree, I likely should have just shut up. Unfortunately, such exchanges DO degrade the forum and ARE wearisome. You seem like a fine chap and I was actually set to making the thread conciliatory but it was closed before I could. Let me say that I appreciate your efforts and your candor, and I DO appreciate used book sellers! Giskards post, and subsequent ones, were fine tributes and perhaps we should just have let them be.....
    By the way, what are you listening to tonight?

p.s. I know the moderator who closed the thread, and he is a great guy and has no axe to grind. He just likes the Lansing forum and wants to keep it unsullied. He also paid me to say that.....................

Quote Originally Posted by geowal3
    Lighten up on the Moderator!

"Off Topic" does not mean "anything goes."

I think responses to occasions (such as a death or a commemorative date) are appropriate. I do not think that when the discussion devolves into some old hopelessly conflicted debate we need to wait until the posts get nasty. Moderator functioned well in this case.

David

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    "Off Topic" does not mean "anything goes."

I think responses to occasions (such as a death or a commemorative date) are appropriate. I do not think that when the discussion devolves into some old hopelessly conflicted debate we need to wait until the posts get nasty. Moderator functioned well in this case.

David
    Well I can buy that... no need to wait for the disaster to hit if you can see it coming. As I said to the mod in my PM, perhaps it is better to err on the side of caution. Nuff said as far as I'm concerned.

As to what I am listening to tonight.. that Cream reunion on PBS.. what a great band they were and still are.. love that Ginger baker... will have to get the DVD asap so I can crank it through the JB's.

Bernard

norealtalent
    Quote Originally Posted by geowal3
    It's a thankless job. Somebody has to do it. We should be grateful they donate their time, otherwise we would have no forum as we currently know it.
    Well said. I hate seeing threads pulled. I hate even more the need to pull them. Some times site moderation appears to be lop-sided to me but I know that I often see things differently than others. So be it. I almost posted to the thread of topic. I decided better to not as it was, IMO, very controversial (which there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with.) However, I have fueled enough fires around here in the past and want no possibility of being part to another. I do not often agree with the moderators decisions but aggreement is not a prerequisite of gratitude for their assistance in maintaining the best aspects of this site for us all to enjoy. Moderating is a much tougher job than imaginable, one that I most certainly would not want. I am very grateful for those who spend their precious time and energy putting forth as they see best for the unity of all members as a whole. I've seen things get a whole lot worse and hope I never have to see them that way again. If getting my toes stepped on now and then is the price, I'll gladly pay it and leave a tip. Thank you ALL... Dave

Thread Information