Thread: Twisted Pairs

Twisted Pairs

I made a pair of twisted pairs terminated with mil-spec twisted pairs on each end. Say What? The 40' long,12 awg stranded THHN is fat and heavy. I added 4' long 14 awg mil-spec/silver plated twisted pairs to each end to lighten the load at the binding posts and provide a "Clean" connection. Initially I checked (ohm meter) the ends, to determine red/black of the all black THHN. WTF, no reading. I squeezed the clips tighter on the cable for a reading of about .3-.4 ohm. NFG in my book. I then cleaned the ends (they were shiny already, right after stripping the insulation) and measured again. A little better @ .3-.2 ohm. Remember, there's about a third loss in overall length, after twisting them tightly, so a 40' length started out at over 60' long. I fashioned some "Step Down" Butt Splices, using 10/12 and 16/14 splices. No biggy, just knock off about .020 from the 16/14 splices, cut them in half, then a light press fit into the 10/12 splice. I crimped and soldered, shrink wrapped, the mil-spec on. YES, reading was now 0-.1, without squeezing the clips! These High Dollar, Esoteric cables improved the sound! I had to bump up the mid/high (at least 4 "Notches") on the 4412's to keep up with the "New" full/crisp Bass. The SPL meter (Decorative Holiday German Tins) near the drivers, registered a never heard/before buzz/rattle. It was fun and CHEAP. Now I wonder if "Twisted Pairs" should be used from the X/O's to the drivers. Has anyone used TP's instead of the conventional straight runs?

Zilch uses Cat5E on all mid/HF drivers since evaluating it with WT2.

It's documented in the forum.

There's also an exposition of a biased Euro datacom cable approach. Too much effort required for that....

Thread Information