Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL L5 Good Choice I hope??

JBL L5 Good Choice I hope??

Just bought a set of JBL L5'S for $225.00, good monetary value since they sold for $629.00 to $690.00 for the years of 92thru96. Now my question is "how good are they"? I don't normally buy stuff from the 90's but these looked really good and well made, and I guess I kind of went by the price of what they went for- vs- the price brand new (these look brand new). I have searched reviews on and off this forum and can only find reviews on the L3 or L7's and the reviews on these are remarkable.Anyone have any experience with these? You can tell me, I can take it? As always thanks!

note.. I also broke my own rule and bought a pair of Energy ESM-3 for cheap money. I just want to hear how they sound. Sometimes I like to check things out for myself and I keep hearing how good these things sound.Doubt whether they'll sound as good as my L56'S. No money lost though I can always use them as paper weights.

I have L3 and if I saw L5's for that I would grab them in a heart beat. Let us know what you think.

Rob

RIP 2009
    L5's for $225 is a steal!!!

John

BLOODY ROBBERY

I hate that!
    They were 3K a pair down here and not a bad speaker,good lord I spill more than $225.
    I think I'll have one now to celebrate your good fortune King James,should change your avatar to "TIN JAMES"
    Michael

Thumbs up L5s

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames
    Just bought a set of JBL L5'S for $225.00, good monetary value since they sold for $629.00 to $690.00 for the years of 92thru96. Now my question is "how good are they"? I don't normally buy stuff from the 90's but these looked really good and well made, and I guess I kind of went by the price of what they went for- vs- the price brand new (these look brand new). I have searched reviews on and off this forum and can only find reviews on the L3 or L7's and the reviews on these are remarkable.Anyone have any experience with these? You can tell me, I can take it? As always thanks!

note.. I also broke my own rule and bought a pair of Energy ESM-3 for cheap money. I just want to hear how they sound. Sometimes I like to check things out for myself and I keep hearing how good these things sound.Doubt whether they'll sound as good as my L56'S. No money lost though I can always use them as paper weights.
    YES its a great deal those sold for around $620-$690 EACH not a pair so In my opinion If you ever decide you want to part with those pm me. they are power hungry lil beast tho, so give them what they want and you will be impressed

you're right!

You are right,that price was per speaker and, not a pair. $3000.00 in Australia damn!,you ain't the land down under your the land way over the top!

update on the L5's

Well, I just received these puppies today and hooked them to an old Carver receiver that I had laying around and oh,what a sound.Much better than I thought they would sound.I am very happy with the sound of these.

Thumbs up Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames
    Well, I just received these puppies today and hooked them to an old Carver receiver that I had laying around and oh,what a sound.Much better than I thought they would sound.I am very happy with the sound of these.
    In the right room with the right power the L5s are phenomenal. I've got three of the li'l beasties, along with an L3 and seven L7s. The L5 is a world away in quality of sound compared to the L3, which is no slouch in the right application.

The L5 is a much, much friendlier set up than the L7 because it works so well right out of the box. It's truly plug and play to get really good sound. If you experiment with placement a bit, it can sound even better. I use an LE120H-1 based sub to supplement the bottom with the L5s in the master bedroom, and the sound gets pretty close to L7 territory. They will suck up a lot of power and can easily head north of 104dB, just don't clip 'em, especially the 035TiA. Make sure that ol' Carver can give clean signal.

The L7 is a lot of work to get right, but it will kick the L5's pretty little butt when you get it right. However, if you've never heard a well set up L7, the L5 sounds like it'd be the top of the line in any normal speaker series. It's better than a lot of the dual 8" and dual 10" crappola that some companies sell as "reference" monitors. (Reference my ass; the L5 will reference them right into the dumpster.)

Now I seem to recall you making a derogatory remark about not wanting any of JBL's "newer crap." Still feel that way?

The L5 is only a tease of some of the great "new" JBL stuff made in the past fifteen years.
    Out.

Originally quoted from Ti-Dome
    "Now I seem to recall you making a derogatory remark about not wanting any of JBL's "newer crap." Still feel that way?"

I've had bad experience's with the new stuff from JBL, so I kind of kept away from them.But if you consider these part of their newer stuff then I would have to eat my words.I think maybe I was comparing small bookshelf from the 70's and 80's to the bookshelf of the 90's and on.I think there was a rush to put some of that stuff out.This being a higher end speaker and the fact that it sounds so good allows me to keep my faith in JBL whether new or old.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    In the right room with the right power the L5s are phenomenal. I've got three of the li'l beasties, along with an L3 and seven L7s. The L5 is a world away in quality of sound compared to the L3, which is no slouch in the right application.

The L5 is a much, much friendlier set up than the L7 because it works so well right out of the box. It's truly plug and play to get really good sound. If you experiment with placement a bit, it can sound even better. I use an LE120H-1 based sub to supplement the bottom with the L5s in the master bedroom, and the sound gets pretty close to L7 territory. They will suck up a lot of power and can easily head north of 104dB, just don't clip 'em, especially the 035TiA. Make sure that ol' Carver can give clean signal.

The L7 is a lot of work to get right, but it will kick the L5's pretty little butt when you get it right. However, if you've never heard a well set up L7, the L5 sounds like it'd be the top of the line in any normal speaker series. It's better than a lot of the dual 8" and dual 10" crappola that some companies sell as "reference" monitors. (Reference my ass; the L5 will reference them right into the dumpster.)

Now I seem to recall you making a derogatory remark about not wanting any of JBL's "newer crap." Still feel that way?

The L5 is only a tease of some of the great "new" JBL stuff made in the past fifteen years.
    A set of L7 for sale here in Dk for euro 600
    Is that a good price?
    Vern

Smile Love those L7s

Quote Originally Posted by vernb View Post
    A set of L7 for sale here in Dk for euro 600
    Is that a good price?
    Vern
    That's a little less than $800 USD. If the cabinets are in good shape, the drivers are intact, and the black plastic pedestals are included, then it's a good price.

Things that will detract from the value include

1. torn grille cloth
    2. cracked or broken grille frames
    3. major scratches or dings in the wood
    4. pushed in dust caps
    5. any separation of the rubberized surround from the cone or a tear in the cone (there's no replacement surround or recone, you have to replace the whole driver)
    6. missing pedestal bases (really needed for stability)
    7. missing grounding straps (wire will be a superior replacement, but if these straps are missing there should be a deduction)
    8. loose or missing speaker posts
    9. delamination of the front polymer baffle from the cabinet's MDF

If these were in the US, probably $600-700 a pair would be the top of the range. If they were in poor shape, they'd sell for more like $375-450. When new, these sold for $1000 each at the end of their production cycle. At the low point of their used value, four or five years ago, I could pick up really nice pairs for under $300. Not any more.

If you can see these L7s and determine their condition, negotiate accordingly. Be sure to read the L Series (1990s) thread and listen to them if at all possible before purchasing.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=7498

Great infomation Ti! You would think you own a pair or two or three or...... Also make sure they are mirror imaged meaning a left and a right speaker. One should have a woofer on the left side of the cabinet and the other on the right. Take it from someone who got two right speakers!

Quote Originally Posted by oznob View Post
    Great infomation Ti! You would think you own a pair or two or three or...... Also make sure they are mirror imaged meaning a left and a right speaker. One should have a woofer on the left side of the cabinet and the other on the right. Take it from someone who got two right speakers!
    Yeah, two rights don't make it right.

clmrt
    I'm a habitual speaker-swapper, but haven't even thought about it since I landed my 5's. Nice speaker. Let them grow on you. I ultimately went without subs after struggling (psychologically) to make them better by hi-passing them.

I my room, almost no toe-in and they're about 16 inches in and out from the walls. Works here.

JBL L5s

I too share the love for the JBL L5s. They've provided hours of enjoyment with their incredibly accurate, clean sound. I have the pair for sale since I'm moving to my RV for a while. Excellent condition with the renowned titanium tweeter. 3' Black tower with grills(no tears) a few minor and fixable marks on cases. Best offer.
    951-245-3828
    949-929-5892

Thread Information