Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sovereign rack

Sovereign rack

A late afternoon in september, the newly restored Sovereigns have found their place.

Wife: "Now that you have been so good, wouldn't it be nice with a rack to go with those beautful speakers?".

You all know how domestic law is enforced. What can one do?

Here's a few pictures. Did manage to make miscalculation on the side and rear panel height, so it became 2 cm lower than the speakers. I got an old solid oak table very cheap.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

norealtalent
    Looks very nice and helps maintain AB/DC (All Benifits of Domestic Conformity)

Maron Horonzakz
    You can add 2 cm strip on the bottom kick moulding & probably wont be noticed.

Looks great!

I like some of the older/vintage speaker systems JBL put out, especially the larger ones!

Ron

Sovereign Affliction

Hi Johnny: Nice to see that you decided to add to your Sovereign speakers. An equipment cabinet is a mandatory and usually wife friendly addition. I will have to dig up some old pics that will show you my Sovereign Affliction/Illness, which started over 30 years ago. I hope that you continue to enjoy your ensemble and add to it if you get the chance. I'll post some pics for you when I can round them up. Best Regards - Rick

Just saw this... very nice!
    Great work Johnny!!

Widget

It is indeed nice work, and the difference in height I think is preferable and can easily pass for intentional.

David

Sovereigns

Hi Johnny - I found some old pics that I told you I would post. You should share these with your wife. If she see's that others have the Sovereign illness maybe she will support your habit and allow expansion of your ensemble. A pair of Sov II's should be floating around Europe somewhere. My Sovereign Affliction started in 1973, sitting in a hi-end room listenting to L200's while reading a Sovereign/Olympus sales brochure. The L200's sounded good but I wanted the Sovs. Being a poor family man on military pay, they were out of my financial reach. The alternative was to build my own and so the story starts. Black walnut was the choice. Then I needed an equipment cabinet. Made it from walnut and Hawaiian Koa. Both are long gone but I have a few pics for memories. The pics are not too good and keep in mind that I had never seen a pair of Sovs at the time I took on this venture.

Sovereigns

Chapter Two - After building my walnut Sov's I came into a short $$ windfall, and with the help of JBL's export/military pricing discount, I was able to buy a factory pair in 74 and in 75 I built a quasi matching eq cabinet in oak. I can't find the eq cabinet pic but will post it soon.

Sovereigns

Chapter 3 - In 1979 I decided that I needed a pair of Sovereign II's. I knew they existed buy had never seen a pair for sale so I decided to build some. They're kind of funky looking by today's standards but !!! As usual, funds were an issue so the S7 system that I wanted gave way to the D130, 075, N2400 (030 System). I remember them to sound OK. I sold them to a good friend and he still has them to this day.

Sovereigns

Chapter 4 - Quite some time passed and it appeared I was cured of my Sovereign Illness. Then I found an original pair of Sov II's, in Canada, in 1998 (what a drive). I have been condsidering restoring them in golden oak to match my big ones but haven't done it yet.

Sovereigns

Chapter 5 - In 1999 I got really Sovereign ill and built a spin-off pair that I called the Sovempus - grilles like the Sovereign, with tops and sides like the Olympus. These ended up going to a man in Singapore.

Sovereigns

Chapter 6 - A couple of years ago my Sovereign Illness finally paid off. After many years of looking, I finally located a C68 Sovereign III Equipment Cabinet. The Sovereign Gods have been very very good to me. My illness is somewhat dormant right now but I've had visions of building a pair of Sov 2's in some exotic wood, with a clear 3/4" lexan baffle using 62 vintage blue LE15A, LE85, etc.

Ah yes, the Wild Wild West brothel look... I remember it well.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Ah yes, the Wild Wild West brothel look... I remember it well.

Widget
    Looking at that cloth today makes me wonder about my state of mind back then. I remember there to be nothing other to choose from except black. Today I would choose the black. Sovereigns are not really Sovereigns unless they have pleated grille cloth. ZILCH - where are you. Your next mission "Mr. Zilch" should you choose to accept, is to locate original pleated Sovereign grille cloth.

Thread Information