Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mimicing an audio taper pot with linear taper pot...

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

mimicing an audio taper pot with linear taper pot...

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folder...s/potscret.htm

Is this a **good** idea --

I have a piece of equipment (electronic crossover) that originally had audio taper pots. Some of the techs that currently work on this piece of gear seem to think that a linear taper in the unit is fine, that is what they have been spec'ing in their jobs yada yada yada, they talk about the protection factor afforded the drivers from ppl unfamilar with the units, etc....

OTOH there are others who believe that Audio Taper is the way to go. that the sound and responsiveness of the units change with the change in taper...

It does not help that this particular unit used pots that are NLA.

Despite the lack of availability of the parts, I managed to source some NLA carbon composition pots for the unit (and spares), however they are linear taper and I **needed** the audio taper ones. which brings me to the link provided above. Will using the "tapering resistor" present other problems?

Does any of this **really** matter? what differences should I expect between using linear and audio taper pots?

thanks for any insight.

You can order Audio taper Conductive Plastic Pots, same pinout as the Bourns or AB,s from Clarostat!

The Clarostat CP,s sound good, beefy sound!

Clarostat bought the rights to manufacture the modpot line from AB back in 1990, so thats the thing to get, and ive used them, they are good, a bit pricey!
    scottyj

no offense Scott -- But I already knew where you stood on this issue

But since youre here..... why do some of the others sing the praises of linear tapered pots in these kinds of units?

and what about using the "tapered resistor" to mimic a log/audio taper?

has anyone here done this?

excerpt....
    If we set up the easiest, simplest pot to get, a linear taper pot of resistance R, and then connect a "tapering resistor" across the wiper and CCW lug, we get the situation shown in the following diagram. For clarity, I've separated the resistance above the wiper and the resistor below the wiper into two separate resistors. It makes the calculations much easier.

We're assuming the total pot resistance R is split into an R1 at the CW side and R2 on the CCW side, with R3 paralleled with R2. We'll let "a" represent the fraction of the total resistance R that the wiper has turned, and "b" be the fraction of R that R3 is. When we get out the algebra books and do the math, we find out that we can show that the ratio of output voltage to input voltage is that odd looking fraction in the picture. When we calculate out the results, we find that the divider ratio of Vout to Vin is shaped something like a true logarithmic tapered pot if we pick the right value for b. If b happens to be 1/4 to 1/5, the resulting voltage division is remarkably close to a true logarithmic pot, probably closer than a two segment approximation that we could buy! Wow! No more waiting for volume control pots!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Who sings praises about putting linear tapers in a unit originally designed with audio tapers?

I have read about using a resistor to alter the taper, but I have never done it, nor do I know anyone who has!
    scottyj

mod pots

I have a box of modpot parts, elements and hardware from my service days. What value do you need??

sub

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof
    I have a box of modpot parts, elements and hardware from my service days. What value do you need??

sub
    10K audio taper dual gang pots PC mount! How many do you have, I will buy whatever you have. And Louped Garouv needs some too!

The original AB part number was 70P1N048F103A.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    10K audio taper dual gang pots PC mount! How many do you have, I will buy whatever you have. And Louped Garouv needs some too!

You mean these guys??? Two for $1 or 100 for $40. Is that cheap enough for you?

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...tem=1&mitem=41

These came from an audio equipment manufacturer making high end systems. Standard 3/8" panel mount bushing dual potentiometer features 1/4" dia. x 1/2" long shaft to mount your knob. Size of pot (excluding shaft) is 0.62" W x 0.70" T x 0.60" D. High quality audio taper dual 10K pot made by PIHER. Brand new with mounting nut. Package of 100. G13281A

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv
    http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folder...s/potscret.htm

Is this a **good** idea --

I have a piece of equipment (electronic crossover) that originally had audio taper pots. Some of the techs that currently work on this piece of gear seem to think that a linear taper in the unit is fine, that is what they have been spec'ing in their jobs yada yada yada, they talk about the protection factor afforded the drivers from ppl unfamilar with the units, etc....

OTOH there are others who believe that Audio Taper is the way to go. that the sound and responsiveness of the units change with the change in taper...

It does not help that this particular unit used pots that are NLA.

Despite the lack of availability of the parts, I managed to source some NLA carbon composition pots for the unit (and spares), however they are linear taper and I **needed** the audio taper ones. which brings me to the link provided above. Will using the "tapering resistor" present other problems?

Does any of this **really** matter? what differences should I expect between using linear and audio taper pots?

thanks for any insight.
    You will find it more difficult to control the require level with a linear Pot.

As to sound quality, its very subjective thing.

Have you thought about a Shunt attenuator with a class A buffer input and output buffer or a 24 postion swith attenuator.(like DACT or Gold Point)

The difference if anything is that a quality dual gang pot will track both channels for accurately!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    You will find it more difficult to control the require level with a linear Pot.

As to sound quality, its very subjective thing.

Have you thought about a Shunt attenuator with a class A buffer input and output buffer or a 24 postion swith attenuator.(like DACT or Gold Point)

The difference if anything is that a quality dual gang pot will track both channels for accurately!

Ian
    Unfortunately, Ian, there is no room inside the unit Louped talks about to fit a stepped attenuator!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin
    You mean these guys??? Two for $1 or 100 for $40. Is that cheap enough for you?

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...tem=1&mitem=41

These came from an audio equipment manufacturer making high end systems. Standard 3/8" panel mount bushing dual potentiometer features 1/4" dia. x 1/2" long shaft to mount your knob. Size of pot (excluding shaft) is 0.62" W x 0.70" T x 0.60" D. High quality audio taper dual 10K pot made by PIHER. Brand new with mounting nut. Package of 100. G13281A
    This is a similar pot but the pinout is slightly different! The AB,s have two pins across, and one in front instead of three across.

You can hardwire these into the board though!
    scottyj

my thoughts exactly...

and i had seen those other audio tapered pots on goldmine, but I would like to stay as true to the original as possible, with the exception of an upgrade to the carbon AB mods from some Bourns that are in it now... (but the ABs were a factory option at the time); but like I said I keep hearing that linear taper is not a bad thing with these crossovers.

Ideally I would like to hear the unit both ways I guess... then I can really know what I am talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    You will find it more difficult to control the required level with a linear Pot.

Ain't this the issue with Fender amps? The dang gain pot is twitchy...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I don't understand the difference between the crossovers in question (RLAs) and the ones made by Rane and some smaller boutique operations then -- I had a Rane AX30 (showed a pic in another thread...) and I have heard reviews of other similar units that had used linear tapered pots...

what gives? I am kinda dense sometimes

I think they will look like this... but with the number Scott mentioned on it
    Attached Images Attached Images  

To be honest I doubt the pot change woud make a significant improvement.

The signal goes through all sorts of parts that have a more pronounced effect on the sound than you might think.

Ian

Thread Information