Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JBL Speaker List - draft!

I look forward to the day when newbies ask about a driver or system and we will lovingly refer them to "the list" or "the chart" or "the boneyard" or "the whatever". The only down side to this database is that we will all have slightly less to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL
    I do know some DB people and I will present it to them in the next few weeks.
    PM me so we can work out the specifics.

Edit: I missed the whole 2nd page of this thread. If '59 can help that would be good as well. as always I will help in any manner that will make a difference.

Side note: I may be able to host the database if John can not do it. There would be some "things" to workout, but.... just some pre thoughts.....
    we may need all the people we can get...Keep your friends in your "back pocket" incase we need their talents...

I find the offer about hosting the database interesting...PM me exactly what you can offer as I'm not familiar with what you can do and have( also your friends). Can you write Web pages?

Do you have your own server? if so that would be great, as it may help in two ways:
    1. continued hosting ( if needed)
    2. Hosting for alpha and beta testing - this could speed up the process if Don or John are at times busy and unable to do much...

at this point, everything is still in the air, in fact I'm not sure exactly what Giskard is envisioning here or what he wants( this is his baby)....we will need more details..however, even if Don and John are busy for now,there is no reason why we cann't be planning and designing the data entry programs, data structures, and what is to be included in the databases......

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    I look forward to the day when newbies ask about a driver or system and we will lovingly refer them to "the list" or "the chart" or "the boneyard" or "the whatever". The only down side to this database is that we will all have slightly less to talk about.
    I agree with the "List", I'll disagree with "less to talk about", people will always want to ask about what they've read. One thing I've learned over the years, is that you can advertise something and say very BOLDLY - this is Red!!!!!!!! and everyone will call and say...."is this Red?" ( sigh) really..that's what happens

one thing I'll like to say... it's NOT likely that FM Pro would be up to doing the job. Last I looked it was a very simple database ( call flat-file) program and most likely not what we'll need. If I understand Giskard here we'll need a relational database..again will need more detail from Giskard as to what he envisions....

For now everythings on the table, the ONLY use I can see for FMPro is doing some very simply data entry with export abilites...but that would be very conditional...also..Excel is a spreadsheet and not a database, so it's most likely out

well, time for me to step into the background on this for now...it's in Giskards hands....

databases the data entry does NOT have to be a nightmare

Contrarily to what many forum members think the data entry does NOT have to be a nightmare, data can be imported from (Word), Excel, and others "quite easily" . I volunteer to help with this, and with the streamlining. In fact, a table in Access looks quite the same as a sheet in Excel.

I think (fwiw!) I would break up the project in 3 main tasks :
    -design and decide ; the outlines and technical stuff and requirements
    -import, entry and verification of data
    -publication of it on the website

About asking external help , maybe some of the forum members' children are in high school studying Information Technology .... ? This would be an ideal study project for them ? I will ask some free advice to a friend as well.

I have used (as a kind of super-user) MS Access (together with SQL server) daily in my job for 5 and a half years, and made some databases in Access for personal use, (but not web published).

Kind regards, KRIS

Quote Originally Posted by Steelyfan
    Contrarily to what many forum members think the data entry does NOT have to be a nightmare,
    I agree..

Quote Originally Posted by Steelyfan
    I think (fwiw!) I would break up the project in 3 main tasks :
    -design and decide ; the outlines and technical stuff and requirements
    -import, entry and verification of data
    -publication of it on the website
    That's the yellow brick road I'm leading them on...

thanks for the input Kris.......

that's godd

and ALTECs??

Cool some screenshots to show what is possible

Here are a few screensnaps from my humble music database (under construction)
    -the first is a table view of the media items (currently old cassettes)
    I could have even included pictures of the album cover.
    -the second shows a small example of the value of a database , how you can retrieve media info per artist.

replace "media" by "enclosures" , and "artist" by "driver" (or vice-versa, or whatever) and you have a start for T.L.H.S.L.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    You mean like these?

I'm sure alot of people have alot of them but post what you have anyway.
    Hey 4313b....where did you get this chart of drivers you posted back in Dec 2005....can you attach the excel file or word doc....

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...?t=8275&page=3

Thanks,
    Shaan

Chart matching JBL speakers with studio monitors

Does anyone know of a chart that pairs up the JBL home speakers with the "matching" studio monitors? For example, L100 is the home version of the 4310 (I think). It would be fun to have that info at hand. Then I could answer questions like: Is the L112 the home version of my 4411s?

If the info exists in crude form I'd be willing to enter it into a spreadsheet and post it. I found the really great "1970 - 1999 Home Speaker List" that Giskard did. Maybe one additional column on that chart would do it.

From what I can remember. Also on many there may be crossover differences.

C50SM S7

4301 L19

4310 early L100

4311 Late L100

4331 L200B

4333 L300

4401 L15

4406 L20T/20T3

4408 L60T

4410 L80/T3

4412 Different Woofer in L100T/T3

4425 Different Woofer in L200T3