Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL Speaker List - draft!

Thumbs up FileMaker Pro

FileMaker Pro is an excellent suggestion. We're using FM Pro 8.0 and FM 8.0 Server at work, and it is sweet. However, we had to get a FM software solutions guy to build what we needed. Thankfully, he was willing to do some work pro bono since we are a nonprofit organization.

Our FM 8.0 Server runs on an Apple XServe G5, but our clients are split about 50/50 between Mac and Windows. We've got four sites that have to log in to the system and utilize the server from remote locations. Works like a charm.

Once up and running, it's rock solid, and it's almost idiot proof from the end user point of view.
    Out.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    Huge task, I know. But it could be chipped away at over time until complete.
    It is an enormous task. I already have all the documented system lists. I don't have Filemaker Pro anymore so that negates it's use. Don has already suggested a certain software package and it will require me learning how to use it. I'm still waiting to see if the whole thing is even feasible. Should know by the end of March. I'll open that thread after we find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    It is an enormous task. I already have all the documented system lists. I don't have Filemaker Pro anymore so that negates it's use. Don has already suggested a certain software package and it will require me learning how to use it. I'm still waiting to see if the whole thing is even feasible. Should know by the end of March. I'll open that thread after we find out.
    Early this year I PM'ed you offering help ( it is what I do for a living). Offer still stands ( altho my time is limited as I own my own company), however, I will not interfere or get in way....

What was the package Don mentioned?

I'll throw in my two cents here. Everyone seems to be focusing on the WORK ( data entry etc) and Software. That is really step 3 and 2 respectively. First thing is to clearly define EXACTLY ( PLAN,PLAN,PLAN ) what you want this puppy to do, what information it is to hold and how the user is to get to it.

Once this is done then only put in enough information for 3 or 4 systems and TEST,TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST. Once that's done then only the grunt work of data entry remains ..... This would be really fun and simple as projects go...nuff said....

Too bad about the FMpro going bye bye. It rocks.

Of course, all of that capability is overkill for a list of drivers and/or systems! Being able to sort various parameters from those drivers/systems, and it's overall stability/versatility mades it the obvious first choice. But if it's out- it's out.

I guess the biggest issue would be the data entry, huh? :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Talk about burn out!

I can't imagine the task of sorting through years' worth of varying standardization and all the typos. wow. The old saying 'If you're gonna do it-do it right' definately applies here.

Another suggestion: It could be launched (intitially) by first entering the most basic elements (driver model#s/system model#s, for example) just to get a working architecture. Then (as time permits) adding/focusing one list of values at a time by decending importance: Dimensions, wattage, impedence, freq range, etc until you get down to the small details. All of this vs waiting until it's totally complete- as it might be more of an evolution of data.

Let me know if I can be of any help in this project, as I believe in it 100%.

EDIT: '59- You jumped in with your post as I was typing mine and it echoes what I was thinking. So, "Yeah" ditto what you said!! Getting the platform functioning first is paramount.
    Giskard- Name your position. We are here if you need us- we'll shut up if you don't. No sense in taking all of the work on yourself- but I gather you are a tortured soul anyways . I fully understand.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    First thing is to clearly define EXACTLY ( PLAN,PLAN,PLAN ) what you want this puppy to do, ....

I'll be more clear and then have to get to work ( been putting 7 days a week for 3 months)....

What is the Mission Statement for this database........ ( leave out details about software, data entry...only what it is to do for the user..but be very exact on that. That is our first step.....

I guess the biggest issue [b
    would[/b] be the data entry, huh? :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Talk about burn out!

I can't imagine the task of sorting through years' worth of varying standardization and all the typos. wow. The old saying 'If you're gonna do it-do it right' definately applies here.
    When climbing mountains never look all the way to the top but only at your next step ( keeps the mind focused and calm)

what is our mission statement...what is this to do for the user..that's the only thing we should be thinking about

norealtalent
    Partial...

I really need a DBA for web enabled relational databases to step forward. If no one does then we might have to hire it done and that means everyone will have to pony up some cash.
    Did you find what we needed here or should I start a matching funds challenge in the market palce? I'll "pony up" as needed on this project and think I can count on a few others too. If there is something we can do to help please ask. "We do not, because we know not."
    Last edited by norealtalent; 02-12-2006 at 08:00 AM. Reason: spelling spelling spelling

norealtalent
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    Partial...
    what is our mission statement...what is this to do for the user..that's the only thing we should be thinking about
    Make eggs, toast and coffee!!!

Quote Originally Posted by norealtalent

Try again.....

Obsolete
    What needs to happen is Don and I have to get with John and see if we can do this from a technical perspective and if John is willing and able to assist on the backend. Don has been absent from the forum for quite awhile now and the reason will be revealed soon enough. He has been exceedingly busy.

Once we are ready to move on this I really hope you guys are still willing and able. The first post in the Technical Documentation thread will signal the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by norealtalent
    Ohh Ohh- Can we get bacon too? Gotta get my nitrates in for the day...

Seriously. bacon. for real. no joke. serious as a heart attack.

You got it Giskard! I'm in when the time comes.

What needs to happen is Don and I have to get with John and see if we can do this from a technical perspective and if John is willing and able to assist on the backend. Don has been absent from the forum for quite awhile now and the reason will be revealed soon enough. He has been exceedingly busy.

Once we are ready to move on this I really hope you guys are still willing and able. The first post in the Technical Documentation thread will signal the beginning.
    10-4.....and until that time maybe map out exactly what you want it to do......I've spent months with people working on a "workable" mission statement.

I'll offer whatever help I can...PM me if you need help. Since It's been pretty much you're idea and you have more info in that brain of yours than any of us then most of this will flow thru you.

good luck and let me know if I can help....

Ohh Ohh- Can we get bacon too? Gotta get my nitrates in for the day...

Seriously. bacon. for real. no joke. serious as a heart attack.
    That'll cost extra.....bacon was not in the original design or mentioned in the mission statement.

You might want to include driver Q along with your Fs, and Vas specs.

You might want to look this over too:

http://www.drewdaniels.com/JBL_PARM.XLS

Everyone here should know who Drew is. I met Joe Etrick many years ago when he worked for Barath Acoustics in Denver.

If you can wait for me to consolidate my spreadsheets you can look over the information then. I'm pretty busy with other things right now so it could be awhile. There are 48 different spreadsheets and I think a different person at JBL did each one so none of them are standardized. I've already gone to a ton of trouble proofreading/correcting their work and rearranging various columns and rows. It's a significant amount of work.

This is preliminary to the Technical Documentation Project - Public Forum.

I really need a DBA for web enabled relational databases to step forward. If no one does then we might have to hire it done and that means everyone will have to pony up some cash.
    I do know some DB people and I will present it to them in the next few weeks.
    PM me so we can work out the specifics.

Edit: I missed the whole 2nd page of this thread. If '59 can help that would be good as well. as always I will help in any manner that will make a difference.

Side note: I may be able to host the database if John can not do it. There would be some "things" to workout, but.... just some pre thoughts.....
    Always fun learning more.......

norealtalent
    Partial...
    I'll be here for the long haul. I needed a couple coffins for me and the wife. Why do you think I bought those Westlakes?

Thread Information