Thread: Suggestions for Covering the Dust Cap?

Suggestions for Covering the Dust Cap?

Last night I picked up a W15GTI for use as a subwoofer to be used in the home system. The sub will share a cabinet with my center channel that uses a 2205 reconed as a 2235 in a separate chamber. As you can see, the speakers show through the grill cloth.

The W15GTI's say "!JBL" in orange, and "5000 WATTS," "Differential Drive," etc. in white. I don't know if I can live with all that showing through! (I could have lived with the earlier version that just says "!JBL" in white.)

I would like to cover the lettering in some way. One way would be to apply a second cap over the original, but the cap on the W15 is 5" in diameter and the 4" cap wouldn't cover it completely (but may cover the lettering). Also, I would think that the dome would have a slightly different curvature. This would also add some mass to the cone and could come loose and buzz. I would guess that it could be securred using a contact adhesive.

An alternative method would be to paint it out and I am considereing using my airbrush on it. I would use a laquer paint (used on models) that is almost dry when it hits the surface. This would also add some mass, but far less than a paper cone and this is only to be used in the sub range so a little extra mass may not be a bad thing.

I'm open to other ideas.

(BTW, this will also present an excellent oppurtunity to directly evaluate the 2235 and W15GTI under similar contitions.)

Alex Lancaster
    I have painted some, no significant mass added.

pelly3s
    a little paint can go a long way in this case. or a piece of gaf tape the difference in mass wont really matter much

Cut out a circle of black felt and attach it to the inside of the grill...or stretch some black grill cloth...maybe 2 layers over the front of the woofer frame so you don't have to modify the driver if you decide to get rid of it. That should hide the logo.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    Cut out a circle of black felt and attach it to the inside of the grill...or stretch some black grill cloth...maybe 2 layers over the front of the woofer frame so you don't have to modify the driver if you decide to get rid of it. That should hide the logo.
    Too late, paint went on yesterday. I made a perfectly sized mask so only the cap was exposed. Even the existing glue ring is still shiny and intact as original.

Get rid of it??? How many people on this forum have literally hundreds/thousands of pounds of JBL gear that sit idle (or worse) and will never be parted with? Besides, for what I paid, I wouldn't loose much by trying to sell it.

Thread Information