Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drivers for guitar cabs - opinions wanted

Charley Rummel

Drivers for guitar cabs - opinions wanted

Hi, fellow JBL fans:

I'm asking our fine community for opinions on what JBL drivers, new and classic, are a good selection for different styles of guitar (and bass, for that matter) playing.

The D130F in pairs is a great fit for the Fender Dual Showman in most opinions, for example. Let's hear everyones thoughts on what they think which music sounds best on what compliment of JBL drivers/amps. Get radical, too!

Regards,
    Charley RUmmel

Guitar? K/E120. Half-open back, even though JBL says "No."

Didya see my dual E110 Mitchell mini-scoop?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I like my 2135 100W 15" for low-volume bass and for guitar. Punchy, a little mid-peaky, but solid. Different in a good way. Had it in lots of cabs, haven't found its happy place yet but I will someday. Mostly liked it with a John Nau-modded BandMaster (one channel high-headroom clean, one channel bluesy overdrive, depth & rate controls replaced with master volume & presence, added parallel FX loop with send & receive controls, footpedal now channel switches) and a sealed single 15" cabinet of unknown origin.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...-comp/2135.htm

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guita...al_Head-1.html

je

pelly3s
    4 - D120's in an old Hiwatt straight front cab.

Tom Loizeaux
    For electric bass, the cabinet plays a large part of how the speaker will sound. I think K140s in relativly small, ported cabinets sound pretty nice. E140s require a slightly larger cabinet, but can sound very nice as well.
    For guitar... most guys like Celestions! Webers are great for vintage Fender amp sounds, and JBLs are great for jazz or clean, crisp reproduction... not what most guitar players are looking for these days. D120s have seen many pro stages, as have K120s.
    It's ultimately a matter of finding the "right" amp, cabinet and speaker combination that makes you guitar (or bass) sound "the way it should"!

Tom

Tom Loizeaux

Pelly3

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    4 - D120's in an old Hiwatt straight front cab.
    Wow, Pelly, I'm impressed with your taste! Hiwatts and JBLs are a sonic assult!
    Good man!

Tom

pelly3s
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Loizeaux
    Wow, Pelly, I'm impressed with your taste! Hiwatts and JBLs are a sonic assult!
    Good man!

Tom
    I toured with George Lynch so I have a taste for good guitar tone. Plus Hiwatt built the best cabs ever in my opinion you can shove almost any speaker in it and it sound great. Then you add the D120's and you have more volume than you could ever need with a '67 or '68 plexi driving it

Charley Rummel

Four D120's on a Marshall Plexi

Thanks for your contributions, everyone. Keep 'em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    I toured with George Lynch so I have a taste for good guitar tone. Plus Hiwatt built the best cabs ever in my opinion you can shove almost any speaker in it and it sound great. Then you add the D120's and you have more volume than you could ever need with a '67 or '68 plexi driving it
    ...That's something I have to experience someday! Sure seems like a nice break from the Celestion greenbacks.

The Mitchell with the E110's - that looks interesting. What's your style?

Also, Fred Sanford, you've got a modded Bandmaster with a single 15" in a sealed cab? Playing bass? Sounds interesting. I'll bet that offers a lot of versitility and an easy way to keep the tech at the board happy without sacrificing your performance...What's your style?

Regards,
    Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Rummel
    ...Keep 'em coming!
    I would but I'm not using a single JBL with any Marshall, Hiwatt, Vox, Roland Jazz Chorus or Fender.
    There are two theories to arguing with women, but...neither has worked.

I use what's in my Avatar...a single E120-8 with a Rivera Knucklehead 55. It does everything I want it to do.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Rummel
    Thanks for your contributions, everyone. Keep 'em coming!

...That's something I have to experience someday! Sure seems like a nice break from the Celestion greenbacks.

The Mitchell with the E110's - that looks interesting. What's your style?

Also, Fred Sanford, you've got a modded Bandmaster with a single 15" in a sealed cab? Playing bass? Sounds interesting. I'll bet that offers a lot of versitility and an easy way to keep the tech at the board happy without sacrificing your performance...What's your style?

Regards,
    Charley
    I never loved the greenbacks with me playing, but I've liked 'em when others played 'em. Go figure. I prefer Celestion 65s, but they're tough to find these days- luckily I have 5 of them. They're on the right in this pic:

http://tinyurl.com/5k78b

Had a Mitchell 2 x 12 like that 2 x 10 (with Celestion Sidewinders, ouch!) and typical style 4 x 12 (Fanes? Eminence? I forget) cabinet, both very sturdy, solid and bold.

Modded Bandmaster head, usually has guitar played through it and is bolted to a Fender sealed 2 x 10" with OEM speakers but often whored out to other cabinets. I've had tons of other Bassmans, Bandmasters, what have you, but they're all gone now except for the Bandmaster and a silver-face Twin. I used to buy toasted ones by the hand-truck-load from Rogue Music in NYC for $40 a piece for as many as I could carry in one shot. The 2135 I was referring to has been used for recording guitar or bass, not usually gigging. My style is...I'm a drummer! I've collected guitars by repairing them for friends and accumulating orphan guitars as payment. By now I've learned to play a bit, but I'm mostly into fixing and playing them just for kicks. Guitar is usually blues/rock/etc., drums I'll play anything.

je

Fred, did someone change the grill cloth on the Marshall slant? Looks like a JCM800 cab.
    There are two theories to arguing with women, but...neither has worked.

Meghan
    For electric guitar, my favorite is a Fender Deluxe Reverb Re-issue amp (in a seperate head cabinet) and a D140F in a Fender-ish cabinet.. On the left in: http://www.fenderforum.com/userphoto...ml?recid=22212

For acoustic, I have a pair of G-733 speakers that work great, although my 50 watt solid state Hafler amp in the rack doesn't even come close to pushing them very hard....
    http://www.fenderforum.com/userphoto...ml?recid=24767

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton
    Fred, did someone change the grill cloth on the Marshall slant? Looks like a JCM800 cab.
    That Marshall's got a stock grille, it's a model 1960A from 1979-1983. I've owned it since '86. Just fired it up again Saturday- lots of big, loud, furry love.

je

Todd W. White

Altec Alnico 417's were popular...

Altec's Alnico 417's and the ceramic version, the 917, were popular with many guitarist's, professional and amateur alike.

Bill at Great Plains Audio is making NEW Alnico 417's as I write this (I have one right here) BEAUTIFUL!

Thread Information