Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite classical piece?

What is your favorite classical piece?

I don't know about all of you but,I think classical music is the ultimate test for any vintage JBL. We all know what really made JBL famous "The L100's" and we know what made the L100's famous "Rock Music" In the 70's Rock never sounded so good than it did on the L100's. The true beauty and appreciation of vintage JBL'S comes from Classical music. To listen to all those symbal's, horns,trumpet's and drums is just breathtaking, I loved JBL for the way it made rock music sound when I was a teenager in the 70's"hell who don't like rock? I never tested JBL'S with rock music if I was going to buy a pair, I always used classical music. My favorite piece to check JBL'S ,is the theme from "How The West Was Won", you must hear this on some old JBL'S.Another piece is the main theme from the movie"Rudy" and the main theme from "Lonesome Dove". What is your favorite piece of classical music to play on your JBL'S? I haven't given up Rock music but now I am in my 50's more relaxed and can't take the volume like I used to.What ever you enjoy,enjoy it with JBL!

Bach J.S: Toccata & Fuge D Minor. for the system work out and Chamber Music for gentle listening.

One of my favorite records was the 1812 on Telarc. It was amazing to see a groove take a hard right
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

My favourite classical piece would be Gershwin, Rhapsody in blue.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

One of my favorites is Pictures at an Exibition and I have it in classical, as well as Emerson, Lake, and Palmer in vinyl, CD, and Dolby Surround CD.

I also like Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor (for those less familiar with classical, Phantom of the Opera), Rodeo by Aaron Copeland, and the Nutcracker.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin
    One of my favorites is Pictures at an Exibition and I have it in classical, as well as Emerson, Lake, and Palmer in vinyl, CD, and Dolby Surround CD.
    Ill second Pictures at an Exhibition! And if you play the Emerson, Lake and Palmer album, theres that one bass note that is the bass test of all time!
    scottyj

Alex Lancaster
    Nothing of JS Bach, Vivaldi, etc., is really "classical", they are baroque, to me, the first classics are the last production of Haydn and WA Mozart.

Maybe we should have subcategories:

Sonata (by instrument)
    Concerto (by instrument)
    Chamber Music
    Symphony
    Oratorio
    Mass
    Opera
    Rock Adaptation
    Pops
    Movie Music With Violins
    etc.

Movie Music with Violins...

From reading the earlier posts on this thread I got the impression that there really aren't many classical music listeners here...

Last night I was enjoying MTT conducting Stravinsky recorded here in SF at Davies Hall and wondering if that was "Classical" since the purists call it modern.

Widget

My Bad!

I think maybe I should have asked about Instumental instead of classic? I assumed (maybe poorly) that Instrumental music and classical music was one in the same. I'll just say all music with no volcal's. That should cover all category's.

It doesn't matter. I agree completely with your premise, that the classic JBL speakers do classical music well.

Categories are always problematical, and your implicit definition of classical music--shall we say, music using orchestral instruments--is really the only one that accommodates both Stravinsky and Bach (Widget's point, I think), both of whom would doubtless be included in anybody's "classical music" and it (your definition) also accommodates all the other pieces that have been mentioned.

David

Alex Lancaster
    Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, etc., really liked vocals (chorals), sorry for being such an AH, the forums have been slow lately .

Hands down (for me anyway) the closing music (death scene) in "Soylent Green".

Pastoral suite was it?

40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

jandregg
    Beethovan's violin concert in D.John

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget

Last night I was enjoying MTT conducting Stravinsky recorded here in SF at Davies Hall and wondering if that was "Classical" since the purists call it modern.

Widget
    I wouldn't call that modern at all even if it is very exciting.. the rite of spring, I hope ?? For modern how about some Pierre Henry or Edgar Varese... if you really want to toture your JBL's and see if the got the right stuff try some George Crumb !

Bernard

addition

Its getting harder and harder for me to tell what is and isn't considered classical music. Lately I listen to a lot of later 20th century classical/art music. Like I say, I don't know quite what to call it anymore seeing as not only is the piano often 'prepared' but they use tape and found sounds sometimes as well. I like Pendereki, Artur Scnittke, Xenaxis,Hans Werner Henze,Charles Ives. One thing for sure though is that I love listening to this power music on these great JBL horns - S/3100.

Favorite piece for all time? J.S. Bach unacompanied cello suites - Janos Starker

Bernard

Thread Information