Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LSR32 Preliminary Report

LSR32 Preliminary Report

I've been listening to these speakers for about a day now. I have to agree with Drew Daniels--they should be heard.

They are very accurate. Their sound character does not change at high volume levels. I'm limiting my characterizations for the time being because the only thing further I can say definite about them so far is that they've been telling me things about my electronics and my source material. I thought they were unattractively cold and lacking texture--that was my classic tube preamp. I heard a strange noise in the treble that came and went with the music. That was the digital processing "breathing" on one of my favorite CDs that I had thought was sonically excellent: John O'Conor playing John Fielding piano pieces on an early Telarc disc.

One of the fascinating things about this hobby is how a new piece of equipment requires a rehearing of the CD collection, so I'm listening to lots of things to try and get a general sense of the speaker.

I'm still going to work on my larger projects but where there is not enough room for the large format monitors--and maybe in other spaces as well--these speakers are a serious candidate.

I would be interested in hearing from others who have listened to these speakers.

Thanks,

David

David,

I have not heard them but saw a review in a local PA/Music magazine a while back.

As you suggest, the reviewer concluded he was reviewing his recordings, not the monitor..accurate as it can be.

I love the technology, especially the mid cone driver, the departure from paper to kevlar is a major change for JBL.

Ian

You might try the "Search" button - and the string "LSR32".

There's some references there, and Don taste-tested these some time back and posted some very insightful impressions: Question for Giskard - LSR-32 Search Link
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Ron K
    Guess I will come off the sidelines. My system in the house is a tri-amped system with 2135/2235 woofers 2290 passives c500g midranges 053ti in wood waveguides. been building speakers for 40+ years and this is one of my best creations. Love this hobby, regards Ron K

Originally posted by Ron K
    Guess I will come off the sidelines. My system in the house is a tri-amped system with 2135/2235 woofers 2290 passives c500g midranges 053ti in wood waveguides. been building speakers for 40+ years and this is one of my best creations. Love this hobby, regards Ron K
    Wow! So . . . you have that super clean mid/hi and woofers that really go low. That sounds like a really good combination.

Also . . . fascinating that you have had the 2135s reconed as 2235s. I have a pair of blown 2135s on the way that I was considering using the same way. How do they work? Did you have the magnets recharged? What size cabinets are you using? Were you able to use the standard 2235 tunings? I'm not familiar with those passives.

Regards,

David
    Last edited by speakerdave; 09-22-2003 at 04:03 PM.

Obsolete
    I agree speakerdave!
    That sounds like a really fine combination there Ron
    Can you post a picture or two?
    What are the filters?

TimG
    That sounds like an interesting combination of drivers. Does anyone know if I can get the tweeter mounting plate for the LSR28P as a replacement part? I'd like to try to build a monitor of my own with a 2235H and the mid and tweeter from the LSR32.

Ron K
    Here's a picture of the speakers.

Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    Nice Ron!

Originally posted by TimG
    Does anyone know if I can get the tweeter mounting plate for the LSR28P as a replacement part?
    385-00020-10 - SUB BAF, LSR 28(DCST) $22.96 USD EA
    382-00096-01 - GASKET, HORN, LSR28P $2.90 USD EA

As requested, here is a link to exploded views and schematics:

http://www.jblproservice.com/navigat...%20Series.html

Ron K
    hi I didn't know how to put a picture on yesterday. the 2135 magnets were not recharged but seem to be ok. I also have d130s coned 2235 and all seem to work equally. I don't believe alnico loses strength unless severely abused. Also I am one of those that think alnico sounds a suttle amount better. The2290s are pro version of pr15 with accordion surround. The rest of system is Rane AC23, Crown DC300 lows, Carver AV505 mids and high. Carver CT27V preamp, D60 surround amp, 116h1 woofer, 104h2 mid high suround spkrs. This is a great sounding system and is one of few that I haven't had an urge to change anything. And the wife likes them. I have a pair of the oas waveguides that I bought from JBL. I might consider letting them go as I prefer to carve my own out of wood. I will post about the two systems in my sound room in the garage later.

thanks for all the info and friendship on this forum, Ron K

Obsolete
    "I don't believe alnico loses strength unless severely abused."

It also loses strength if you cut it's hair.

Ooops, wrong forum

"Also I am one of those that think alnico sounds a suttle amount better."

Well, they haven't found a cure for that yet but I'll keep you in my prayers

"I prefer to carve my own out of wood."

Very cool! It looks like you did a great job with yours.

Obsolete
    Just an FYI in case anyone is interested in getting the components from Pro. These are current MSRP as of today.

2235H $366.00
    218F p/n 124-58002-01 $181.68
    252F p/n 124-22001-01X $263.00
    252G $233.46
    C500G p/n 331366-001 $150.02
    053Ti p/n 123-10003-00X $122.00

Ron K
    Thats quite a price increase on 10/22/02 I paid 50.00 for an O53TI.

Ron K
    Speakerdave I forgot to include that the bass box is 6 cubic feet and I tuned the passives for best response in my room.

Obsolete
    Originally posted by Ron K
    Thats quite a price increase on 10/22/02 I paid 50.00 for an O53TI.
    No doubt! The 2235H went up from $275.

Thread Information