Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Query on L222

Query on L222

Hi,

Does anybody know the material of the surround of the 5" mid driver of the L222 DISCO? Is it subjectable to deterioration like foam surround?

Thanks.

norealtalent
    I don't know if stock is LE5-6 or LE5-9, I've seen L220's with both. Anyway, NONE of the LE5 series mids used the foam surrounds which deteriorate with time. I believe early versions were full paper surrounds with a flexible coating, then they went to linen surrounds with that same type coating. I have seen some that were dried and cracked but only when subjected to the most adverse environmental conditions. Properly cared for, they should last a lifetime...

Thanks. I'll try to crank it a bit to listen out for audible distortion, which may signal a crack or something. So far, at mid volume, sounds OK.

Oh, no, the left LE5-9 is buzzing, after a week of rocking. Any idea if that is repairable or will I be better off replacing it?

Not sure what is the current replacement model of the LE5-9 ?

Thanks.

Obsolete
    JBL has discontinued the C8RLE59 recone kit. Some service centers might have stock left. Start calling. Otherwise look for LE5-9's or LE5-11's on eBay.

Thanks Giskard.

I'm worried about buying old drivers from ebay. If mine is faulty, I suspect the remaining life of most vintage LE5 in the ebay would be in a similar condition. Unless they are new old stock. And I have no way of checking.

I've just made an enquiry to my local JBL dealer to see if they can order a pair of 105H which is used in the new 4318 and 4312D.

Will I hear a very significant difference in sound? I reckon since there a pots for mid in my L222, I should be able to fine tune the overall balance of the sound.

David

I tried to follow the OM to remove the rear panel. After removing the ten screws, I could not remove the rear panel, its too tightly fitted.

Is there anyway I can do this safely w/o damaging the finish on the rear panel?

I was thinking of removing the four screws that holds the L-PADs, if I can push- in the piece of panel that holds the L-PADs, I would have a good grip to remove to rear panel. My worry is that the panel that hold the L-PADs are glued to the rear panel.

Any advice? Thanks.

David

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by ngccglp
    I've just made an enquiry to my local JBL dealer to see if they can order a pair of 105H which is used in the new 4318 and 4312D.

Will I hear a very significant difference in sound?
    I'm sure they will be "different".

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by ngccglp
    Is there anyway I can do this safely w/o damaging the finish on the rear panel?
    Use a big suction cup.

You might ask Steve Gonzales. I think he's removed a few of them recently.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    JBL has discontinued the C8RLE59 recone kit. Some service centers might have stock left. Start calling. Otherwise look for LE5-9's or LE5-11's on eBay.
    Looks like JBL might have run a new batch of C8RLE59 recone kits. They also have some NOS LE5-11's still in stock.

Hi Giskard,

Do you know how i can order the NOS LE5? Just in case my local JBL dealer is not able to get them for me.

Thanks.

Hi,

For the L220/222, does anybody know whether the sub-panel that holds the L-Pads is glued to the rear panel? Or just held by the four screws?

I have problem removing the rear panel (to replace my faulty mid driver) and am thinking of removing the four screws that holds the L-Pads sub-panel so that I can push in the sub-panel and get a good grip on the rear panel to pull it out.

After removing the four screws, I tried to push-in the L-Pads sub-panel but it seemed to be glued. I was thinking of knocking it in with a mallet, but thought I'd better check with this forum first before operation.

Thanks

Not sure but...

I do not know if the l220 is like the l250's but on my 250's I put a handle on my removable rear plate. This way I could remove it anytime. I also put electrical tape on the sealing edges so it would seal when I put it back on. You can find nice handles at lots of places. I put nice stainless steel handles on and they look good.
    Hope this helps.
    Shane

Thanks.

That's a great idea. Actually I was hoping that I could do so without affecting the look of the speakers. Seems like I have no better choice.

What I did

I put a screw about where I needed for one of the handles and used a pry bar to remove the cover ( it was very tight) and poped it off. Then I drilled out the hole and put another hole in and mounted the handle.
    Otherwise you will have to make another cover.
    That is how I did it.
    Shane

Thread Information