Thread: Altec Boleros

Altec Boleros

Hi gang,
    I'm new to this forum,just got my Boleros a while ago.They're really great,even if they're 30+ years old.My Altec badges are of the block letter type so I guess '71-'72 is about when they were built?
    Also,what's the easiest way to refreshen the enclosure finish?Some mild scratches on one,some slight paint splatters & some staining is worn from a couple corners.The other Bolero needs very little retouching.Another question is about the "sun bleached grille pattern" on one woofer/radiator-I've seen quite few pics of Boleros with the same problem.Is the cone paper compromised in any way by this?thks-Bob

Boleros

Hi Bob

Refinishing a 4430 by Lansing member "Audiobeer" is a classic worthy of a read ( plus "bookmarking" for reference ) .

Reveneering a L112 by John W has some nice tips regarding reveneering . ( BookMark Now ! to avoid later searches . )

Grill Clothe recovering by Rick ( reissen ) is good and covers the basics quite nicely in text form ( though for the visually oriented/impaired, more "step by step pics" would be nice ).

Bos' Resurrounding ( a "step by step guide" ) is a "must have" classic for those in need of acquiring this skill ( BTW, Altec 406-8Y, 10" woofs are excluded from this "need" ).

NOTE : I would have included within this post many of Steve Gonzales restoration threads about various things ( including le14h cone painting ) / but sadly / his copious quantity of included pictures, no longer link to any of the threads . Bummer !

Bob ;
    - I believe the Altec 406-8y is no longer reconable / so treat those cones with care and respect .
    - As such, I would ignore any "sunlight" induced patterns on the cones .

regards

Thread Information