Thread: My pseudo 4425 / MR822 / SR4722 project

My pseudo 4425 / MR822 / SR4722 project

My MR 802 stage monitors (now with 2426h) have been a part of my toolkit as a paid performing musician for the last 5 years. Have always thought it would be nice to have a pair of speaks, of some sort, that would just reside in my rehearsal / practice / music room. Have always admired the 4425 and SR 4722 systems, and they fetch a good price on epay.

Got to thinking, I already have a spare 2022h 12" driver, (3) 2416h, and a spare MR802 crossover.... so I bought another 2022 and a pair of 2.0 cu. ft. boxes. I calculated the volume of my good sounding MR802's and the new boxes should be about right. The listening room has very dead acoustics, and is about 15' x 20'.

Here is the proposed system:

LF drivers: 2022h
    LF enclosure: 2.0 cu. ft.
    HF drivers: 2416h
    HF horns: 2342 or 2344
    Xover: MR802 (73224-001)

So I was wondering...

Should I pursue the 2342, or the 2344 horns?

How should I port the LF enclosure?

I love the way music makes me feel.

I picked up a pair of "2344A-modified" horns that JBL used in the 4726A. The area behind the horn had been drilled to allow 2" pvc vents to exit behind the "Butt scoops". This is a great idea for me as I am building a surround speaker with old L100t boxes and the rear vent won't work because they will be hung from the wall. They also have a radius cut to allow the lower edge to cover a 12" driver when they are close coupled.

The 2344 would play well a little lower than the 2342 (1K vs 1.2K). Zilch has a ton of info in the Q&D thread. The 2342 is about 9" square and the 2344 is 12 1/4".

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Sou...ries/4726A.pdf

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...2344a+modified

Good luck,
    Don M
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

A quick look at MR802 says that crossover is not optimum for either 2342 or 2344 horns, as the CD compensation (none, apparently,) is wrong for them.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/MR8...ries/MR802.pdf

Plan on trying the 1.2 kHz NL200t3 first for a better match.

I've shown it running 2416H-1 on 2342 in this post:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...6H-1#post79460

It may play even better with your 2022's than the LE14H's I'm using.

Crossover construction is detailed earlier in Q&D thread, including parts list and the DC-biased version used in that post.

It will work with 2344 also, but you'll need a threaded throat adapter such as is on 2426 drivers.

The original application is here:

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te...200t3%20ts.pdf

Thanks again to Giskard for turning us on to this simple, but highly capable crossover with built-in HF boost for the Biradial butt-cheeks....

BB6P says your 2022H driver in 2.0 cuft. box is ideal for their suggested "extended bass" tuning, and it's one of those combinations that doesn't require ducting, rather, merely a port hole (or two) in the 0.75" front baffle:

2 X 2.571" round or 2.281" square
    1 X 4.106" round or 3.643" square
    Triangles or slot(s) of equivalent area will work as well.

The suggested (quieter at high SPL) ducted ports are 2 X 4" round X 4.46" long, or,
    1 X 6" round X 4.369" long.

It'd be good if someone confirmed my box design calculations here before you cut wood, tho.

You'll want to use a sub with them, probably; you'll be running out of cone displacement at 50 Hz, 200 Watts, though they'll be pretty damn loud there at 124 dB (300 - 400 Hz).

You've chosen an excellent combination to build, looks like:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Don Mascali
    I picked up a pair of "2344A-modified" horns that JBL used in the 4726A....The 2344 would play well a little lower than the 2342 (1K vs 1.2K). Zilch has a ton of info in the Q&D thread. The 2342 is about 9" square and the 2344 is 12 1/4"....
    Hey Don, thanks for the info and links, looks like I have some reading to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    ...(insert much good info on my project here)...
    Thanks Zilch. Especially appreciate the info on the CD compensation, port sizing, and the NL200t3. Oh, and I do happen to have a pair of the thread-to-3 bolt adaptors.

So, let me get a detail straight....

Zilch, you said: "The original application is here:

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/T...L200t3%20ts.pdf

Thanks again to Giskard for turning us on to this simple, but highly capable crossover with built-in HF boost for the Biradial butt-cheeks.... "

So, as I'm preparing to update the caps in the original 4425 crossovers, what is your advice for substituting the HF crossover circuit for the same 2416H/2342 combo? Should be easy to implement and is relatively low cost, too.

I'm thinking out loud, here, and haven't thought through the implications just yet but did wonder if I could benefit from someone else who's already 'been there...done that'.

Cheers,

David

Hi, David.

I'f you've got original 4425 crossovers, stay working with them. They are optimized for your driver/horn combination, and have adjustability.

NL200t3 is more suited to DIY projects with either of the Butt-cheek horns, and a variety of drivers, because it's so simple and inexpensive to build.

Works fine, but it ain't the "Real deal."

OK.....

That's cool, thanks. Original part values it is, then.

BTW, most of the UREI 809 xover caps got replaced this weekend - missing a couple yet to be ordered. Resulted in a definite improvement mostly in the HF levels, which had to be backed way off and is a bit crisper in the soundstaging. Have 2 other caps to replace in the HF circuit. Only using original values and will bypass them once I get it all burned in a bit more.

Cheers,

David

Ok, some more parts have arrived. Thus far, I have:

2.0 cu ft boxes
    2342 horns
    2022h woofs
    2416h tweets
    MR802 xovers (Zilch - these xovers have a "0, +2dB, -2dB" switch for the horn level so I should be able to find a pleasing sound even though I won't have the same CD compensation as the NL200t3's I'd like to build )

Awaiting:

Jasper circle jig ala Parts Express (for use with a router to cut round holes in baffle)
    NL200t3 xover - I want to build a set ala zilch, but for now the MR xovers will have to do

Chad, here's a pic of a homebrew nL200t3 with a 5 ohm L-pad installed to give you an idea about a layout. Zilch informed me that I should rotate the iron core inductor 90º to eliminate crosstalk, which I will do maybe next week.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    There are two theories to arguing with women, but...neither has worked.

Hamilton -

Splendid!! Thanks for the inspiring photo - I've never built a crossover before and I really look forward to it!!!!

Thread Information