Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4699b Cabaret Series

Sure all are welcome.

That would make it much easier on me. I could here all of youre equipment and decide which fits my wants, instead like some having to get and get rid of equipment until the want is satisfied.

I dunno, maybe I'm nuts, warpig, but aside from the issue of the speakers themselves, $1000 seems like ALOT for them. I've bought alot of gear like that and haven't paid that kind of money. Also, you could build some stuff for the kind of dough that would ROCK, and use newer drivers. I will bactrack just a bit and agree with others that the drivers in the 4699 are not EXACTLY optimal for home application......................

Any negotiating the price down some??

They WOULD be fun to own, though!!!

MBB

JBL Dog

I'm with mikebake

warpig:

As I stated in my first response, offer $800. A friend bought a set of 4698B's (same components as 4699B except a 2404H instead of 2370/2426J horn-driver combo) for $900 in the late 80's. They're worth a lot less now than back then. Or, negotiate the deal with the guy's wifey. You might get 'em for nothing

This message comes from JBL Dog

Obsolete
    Originally posted by mikebake
    They WOULD be fun to own, though!!!
    That is a fact! I'd have them on my patio so I could hear music over the roar of the lawnmower

Originally posted by JBL Dog
    negotiate the deal with the guy's wifey. You might get 'em for nothing
    Now there's a thought!

Given the other options that are out there today, I'd have a hard time paying much over $500, let alone a 1000 mile round trip. Just because the drivers might fetch x amount on ebay doesn't mean the system is worth the component prices added together.

He did go down on the price some.

Hey I need a road trip anyway. Figure go up and go out on the town that night. Wake up take what ever headache medicne to get rid of the hang over . Pick speekers up and head back to the house.

On another note. I am not quite sure how to hook these up. I did do a little research at 4699b If it takes a 1/4" jack on one side and my amp speaker terminals look like Yamaha M-80 Could someone suggest what might be the best way to hook them up. I have ideas but never have done it before and do not want to damage any equipment in the process.

Also looking at the 4699b diagram do these speakers need to be bi-amped?

Thanks for the info.

Alex Lancaster

Smile

Hi:

I hate 1/4" phone jacks, they are convenient, but were designed for very low current; if originality is an issue, dismount temporarily the jacks and run some wires thru the hole with a dab of silicone, otherwise mount some real binding posts.

Alex.

Obsolete
    Originally posted by Alex Lancaster
    I hate 1/4" phone jacks
    Ditto

1/4" phone jacks

Last edited by 4313B; 09-24-2003 at 08:20 AM.

Alex Lancaster

Smile

Giskard:

What a nitpicker I am; Tele-PHONE jacks, that was their original purpose, PHONO are RCA type, but anyway both are for low current signal, but have been abused for everything.

Alex.

jbl 4699b

this is one of the best boxes jbl ever made....and i have all of them,,,including all the hifi monitor series that are only 98db 1w 1m....the members who quote the efficiency of this devices is noteworthy....105 db 1w 1m... yep common sence prevails... turn it down and save ELECTRICITY... LOL
    PEACE JBLSNBITS

Quote Originally Posted by warpig View Post
    Thanks All
    I think I will give them a try if they are still available, which I am pretty sure they are. It will require a 1000 mile round trip though. I would rather pick them up then freight them. It might be up to 2 weeks before I get them.

If they do not work out I will try to ebay them. If I can not get a fair price for them they will go to my favorite watering hole That way far more people will enjoy that JBL sound.

Peace to all and Thanks

Value of vintage? 4699?

WHAT ARE THESE WORTH? I guess the best rule is what are they worth to you?? in my opinion is way better value for the money than new....if they are mint...1000 is not out of line...for example .. a 1969 hemi CUDA is worth a lot more now than then....why...more than one person thinks so....if u can buy them for less get busy but the vendor sellin these cheap is sellin blown up or worn out and beat ur devices...beware... any one who knows what these are will be lookn for real money.
    i dont have a cost for these new ...but i know that my 4612s i paid over 600 usd ea.
    and that is the smallest in the line...2- 8s and a baby but horn....ill research the actual list on this.
    thanks
    jblsnbits

Quote Originally Posted by jblsnbits View Post
    this is one of the best boxes jbl ever made....and i have all of them,,,including all the hifi monitor series that are only 98db 1w 1m....the members who quote the efficiency of this devices is noteworthy....105 db 1w 1m... yep common sence prevails... turn it down and save ELECTRICITY... LOL
    PEACE JBLSNBITS

Quote Originally Posted by jblsnbits View Post
    WHAT ARE THESE WORTH? I guess the best rule is what are they worth to you?? in my opinion is way better value for the money than new....if they are mint...1000 is not out of line...for example .. a 1969 hemi CUDA is worth a lot more now than then....why...more than one person thinks so....if u can buy them for less get busy but the vendor sellin these cheap is sellin blown up or worn out and beat ur devices...beware... any one who knows what these are will be lookn for real money.
    i dont have a cost for these new ...but i know that my 4612s i paid over 600 usd ea.
    and that is the smallest in the line...2- 8s and a baby but horn....ill research the actual list on this.
    thanks
    jblsnbits
    It's been a bit over 7 years, I bet he's got it sorted out by now

And I bought an absolute mint pair of 4612s off a member here for $225/pr. I really like them, but not enough to add $1K to the price.

I have a pair of Cabaret 4695 (bass only) cabinets and have been using 2241H drivers for a portable DJ rig. The things will knock you down when driven with a Yamaha P7000 (700 WPC).
    They are tuned to 34 HZ.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Quote Originally Posted by warpig View Post
    Anyone have any experiece with 4699b Cabaret Series?

Thanks
    I prefer 4698B than 4699B.but there's a lot to do if you want use it in your home.

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    I prefer 4698B than 4699B.but there's a lot to do if you want use it in your home.
    can not upload pic

Thread Information