Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4699b Cabaret Series

4699b Cabaret Series

Anyone have any experiece with 4699b Cabaret Series?

Thanks

I do not mean to bump this thread but I am looking to purchase a set of these. Around 1000 dollars. Was wondering if anyone has listened to these and what there opinion of them was. Is that too much for these or would you recommend another type in the 1000 dollar range.

They will be used in a home enviorment.

Thanks for any input.

JBL Dog

I've always been a fan of the Cabaret Series

warpig:

The 4699B may be one of JBL's better 3-way systems for professional sound reinforcement use. I wouldn't recommend it for hi-fi/home use. At 103 db SPL (1 watt/1 meter), you won't have to turn on your cook-top burner to fry bacon in the morning. These things will rip your head off!

If they're in good shape, $1,000 is fair. But offer $800. They aren't practical for road use anymore. They weigh a TON!

In the $1000 range? L220's are nice, though several members of this forum poo-poo them. L150's can be picked up for less than $1000. And, IMHO, arguably the most underated speaker JBL has ever produced... L100T. You can pick them up in the $300 - $500 range. I've always loved that 2214H 12" woofer. Hey, wait a minute, I have an idea!

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...category=47093

These would be nice in the home! 4430's if you want a little more punch.

The 4699B is an outstanding speaker for its intended use. I think you would come to have a passionate dislike for them in your home. JMHO.

Good Luck!

This message comes from JBL Dog
    Last edited by JBL Dog; 09-20-2003 at 11:33 PM.

JBL Dog
    Again Thanks for another reply. If I am not mistaken those are 4425s you have linked. If they were 4430s I would be giving them a good look.

I currently have some L166s, L100s and L36s. The reason I was looking at the 4699 was for more punch. Maybe I will hold off and keep an eye out for some alternatives.

I do not know if this helps but the room that will house the speakers is 20 feet long by 12 feet wide. The ceiling goes on a slope from about 16 feet to 8 feet and decreasses with the width of the room.

Again as always Thanks
    Last edited by warpig; 09-21-2003 at 12:48 AM.

Alex Lancaster

Smile

You can get brand new S312's and an S120P sub on cheapbay, for less than $1000, for a room that size, that should be enough; I have heard the combo and it is good, and brand new.

If You like negotiating, contact "Audiovideoman", He´s on eBay, get him to cut You a deal, specially with the shipping.

Alex.
    Last edited by Alex Lancaster; 09-21-2003 at 06:13 AM.

Gotta join JBLDog in giving props to the L100T. That thing has serious b@lls, for a 12" woofer. Proof positive, that if you give a good beefy 12" enough cabinet space, good things can happen. Much more substantial bottom end than any of the "monitor" style 12" speakers (L100, L166, L112, etc)... and the balance is good too.

Though, really, if it were money to blow, I'd be checking out L150s. I've always had fond memories of the combination of balance and power those things had. However, when you can buy TWO pairs of L100Ts for the price of ONE pair of L150s... well... the L100T really is a better value, in most any practical sense.

BTW: There's one fellow around here, with a home theatre system with 4 L100Ts in the corners, a home-made MTM center channel, made out of the woofers from a pair of L20Ts and a single L20T tweeter, home-made shielded (with bonded-on bucking magnets), a pair of B380s and a BX63A. Talk about sheer rumble!!!

Regards,
    Gordon.

I disagree with the dog; a speaker with an 18, a 10, and a one inch comp. driver is fairly common stuff for guys on this forum. What's the big deal about "home use"? I have an idea they might sound pretty durn good.

Obsolete

4699b Cabaret Series

Originally posted by warpig
    The reason I was looking at the 4699 was for more punch.
    Oh... well the 4699B should give you a couple black eyes then

All Thanks for the info.

Mikebake Those were my exact thoughts. Maybe I did not make myself clear though.

Currently I have an Onkyo TX-SR800 7.1 reciever for home theater. Center and front L/R are L100s. The 2 surrounds and 2 rears are L36s. It sounds good for home theater.

I do not listen to music that often but when I do I usually crank it up. For stero I have 2 Yamaha M80s. Those were hooked up to a pair of L166s and a pair of the L36s. The combo sound good to me but if I listen to it for extended periods I end up smoking the L36s which are getting expensive to repair.

That is why I was looking for something with more beef. I had or have a chance at some 4699s. I figure the 4335s and up are rare along with the L200 and 300. I have not paid that much attention to the 150 though.

My question should of been along the lines of how would the 4699 compare to the above.

I see alot of individuals in this forum that have large setups.

I will not say that money is no object. But I would like to take a larger step up from what I currently have. Black Eyes are not a problem If I want to burn the paint off of the walls so be it. It is just I do not want to burn the speakers at the same time.

I really like these forums and eventually would like to take on some projects. In one of my previous threads I posted about a 125a recone that did not work out. Now this may seem stupid to some but I have not totaly given up on that speaker. I figure it is allready ruined so what is the worst that could happen. I will after a little more reasearch try to take it apart and see if it is salageable.

Thanks All

Back to work got a boat to unload in the Gulf of Mexcio URSA TLP

Well, again, with respect to jbldogs comments, 103db sens. is a GOOD thing; as for SPL, hey, if it's too loud, just turn it down; which brings me back to one of my central themes...
    I'd rather hear a BIG speaker loafing than a small one working.

MBB

Originally posted by mikebake
    Well, again, with respect to jbldogs comments, 103db sens. is a GOOD thing; as for SPL, hey, if it's too loud, just turn it down; which brings me back to one of my central themes...
    I'd rather hear a BIG speaker loafing than a small one working.

MBB
    You make a good point. A VERY good point.

Regards,
    Gordon.
    as Smokey Yunick put it: "Ain't no replacement, for cubic displacement!"...

Alex Lancaster

Smile

I think it actually went "...cubic inches" and "when in doubt, bore it out", I never met him but some called Him "smoked", when He got a little too far out.

While We are at it:

Small blocks also rock.

Hot VW´s too.

Alex.

Big is better most of the time.

Speakers/ engines: the only thing better than cubic inches is rectangular dollars.

But . . . wouldn't you say that a speaker has an optimum loudness range and one designed to go really loud is probably not going to be at its best at the low end of its range?

Another things is, those particular drivers are going to have coloration which is OK for a few hours at a show or dance but day after day for hifi will quickly grow old.

David
    Last edited by speakerdave; 09-22-2003 at 05:48 PM.

Obsolete
    "But . . . wouldn't you say that a speaker has an optimum loudness range and one designed to go really loud is probably not going to be at its best at the low end of its range?"

Yes.

"Another things is, those particular drivers are going to have coloration which is OK for a few hours at a show or dance but day after day for hifi while quickly grow old."

It can even be too much through a whole DVD movie. I personally prefer systems matched to their rooms.

Howdy speakerdave.....

Yer on a slippery slope here............

"But . . . wouldn't you say that a speaker has an optimum loudness range and one designed to go really loud is probably not going to be at its best at the low end of its range?"

Giskard says simply yes; I say maybe. Does a speaker have an optimum loudness range? The "optimum loudness range" is kind of a bogus concept, in my mind. A system which has been designed correctly and uses good drivers will have a very wide "optimum range". To think that a driver which CAN go loud is NOT going to do SOFT well is not particularly accurate, in my mind.

"Another things is, those particular drivers are going to have coloration which is OK for a few hours at a show or dance but day after day for hifi while quickly grow old."

Okay, now just what the heck does THAT mean? What are THOSE particular drivers? I mean, of all the manufacturers, JBL has been one of the best that produces drivers that can do BOTH sound reinforcement AND "critical monitoring duty", according to their own data. I mean, we WERE talking about a JBL speaker here, the 4699B. You are just perpetuating a common myth, in my opinion. Talk some specifics and maybe we can get somewhere.

Thread Information