Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What to power L300’s with?

majick47

Powering L300

Roland I fully agree with your observation that the 2235h can handle a lot of power and produce significant clean bass. I have a Yamaha Pro PC4002m amp (420x2). My L300 Summit came with 136a woofers (300 watt version) which sounded exellent but I couldn't resist installing 2235h woofers making them L300a Summit (400 watt version). The 2235h handle more power and the bass is so good that I feel I would have to add a B460 to make a significant difference. For very reasonable $$$ the older top of line Yamaha home and pro amps are hard to beat.

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by majick47
    Roland I fully agree with your observation that the 2235h can handle a lot of power and produce significant clean bass. I have a Yamaha Pro PC4002m amp (420x2). My L300 Summit came with 136a woofers (300 watt version) which sounded exellent but I couldn't resist installing 2235h woofers making them L300a Summit (400 watt version). The 2235h handle more power and the bass is so good that I feel I would have to add a B460 to make a significant difference. For very reasonable $$$ the older top of line Yamaha home and pro amps are hard to beat.
    Yes absolutely these babies really make the woofers sing, but what I don't quite understand, is that the difference was so obvious between the 260W p/c and the 800W when bridged. I mean 260W should really be moore than enough to fully control the cone of the 2235 at moderate levels, i.e. a few watts.
    However the bass is now noticeably more detailed and firm, and perhaps also stronger, or at least, it feels like that.

BR
    Roland
    PS: Do I regret ever selling my L300's? YES! Many times. DS.

JBLdave

SAE A 501

I have heard most of the above driving my L300's. as well as a few other 'visiting' amps in my living room. I have a SAE 2200 (which is the perfect 4311 amp), and I use an SAE A501 on my L300s and want for nothing. I also like the Luxman M4000 with the L300's

JonathanKeehn
    I am extremely pleased with my Bryston 4B 500w solid state amp driving my quasi-L-300's. It has extremely good bass slam and very clear mids and highs. Bryston amps are bullet-proof and have a continuously transferrable 20-year warranty. They are quite affordable and are readily available on Audiogon. They work well on Jazz and Rock but might be judged too harsh for some Classical fans ,who might prefer tubes or a solid state/tube bi-amp set-up.

Smile Rolf is right bigger is better for L300's

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf
    Hi all. Today I read the following article that I think will give some answers regarding this thread, and this is the physicals laws. Sorry for any spelling errors. And I Quote:

There's is no point in using a pint sized amp and bookshelf speakers in a hall and expecting a great sound.
    There's a correct loudspeaker and amplifier for every room.
    Large amplifiers and loudspeakers combinations have the potential of delivering a higher quality of sound than their smaller counterparts. So what is the advantages of powerful amplifiers?

Imagine the dynamics of a loudspeaker driver. The moving portion of the driver (the cone) has mass and in order to create sound pressure must displace the air around it (do work) at a frequency dependent upon the source. Supplying and controlling the kinetic energy of the driver cone represents a significant challenge for an amplifier. An idal cone be infinitely light, stiff and have no friction. In reality the cone has both mass and friction.

The amplifier effectively pushes and pulls the driver cone in and out of the speaker cabinet (like an automobile piston) at musical reproduction frequencies. In an ideal system, the driver cone will exactly match these frequencies, but in reality most amplifires struggle to do this effectively as they haven't got the current drive to exert sufficint grip over the cone. To decelerate and stop the cone, then accelerate it to velocity in the oposite direction at musical frequencies is a task that only powerful high current dessign amplifires can perform efficiently.

An inferion amplifier can't exert sufficient contol over the driver cone and as a result the sound can appear smeared.

You'll require a larger amplifirer if you want to fully appreciate the dynamics of music at lower listening levels, alternately if you require your system to produce higher volume levels.

Musical transients can be many times louder than normal and past a certain point a smaller amplifier is unable of reproducing these and will simply "clip" the transients off.

The same scenario applies after a point when increased volume is called for.

The main reason why speaker drivers become damaged, in turn damaging the amplifier is that the amplifier is undersized. The user turns up the volume and past a point the amplifier will begin to clip. Under these circumstances the speaker driver is fed DC, overheats and is permanetly damaged. The amplifier is presented with lower impedance and delivers greater current usually blowing its internal fuse in the process.

The solution to both is to use a powerful amplifier in your audio system.

Rolf
    I think Rolf is right. For the L300's the larger the amp the better the dynamics
    In my home theater which uses L300's on the bottom and 4333A's on top
    I power them with a Krell MDA 500. It's power output into 4 ohms over a
    1000 watts. I am new to this forum and will try to post pictures. The L300's
    seem to lose the Lpads or the load resistors or a cap if to much dirty power
    is allowed. I have never blown one up in 25 years with clean power. With the
    Krell's in class A output I have heard thinks I did not with Thresholds, H.K.'s
    Audio Research and others. Maybe try a Pass 350 or 600 or Krell KSA 250 or
    larger. These amps really lock in control and imaging.

Quote Originally Posted by jbl4ever
    In my home theater which uses L300's on the bottom and 4333A's on top....
    What does that mean, stacked?

Playing what?

The L300's are on the bottom and the 4333A's set on top of them. Their is a photo on the post. Center channel speaker on top of RPTV is a 4333. We have
    over 500 concerts 2000 albums and lots of cds. The rear channel is mounted in the ceiling and powered by Krell KMA400's these speakers are 240 Ti.

amaha MX2000, CX2000

Anybody have an MX2000 and a CX2000 for sale?

thanks, sam

Quote Originally Posted by sdman View Post
    Anybody have an MX2000 and a CX2000 for sale?

thanks, sam
    Perfect example of how a $25.00 per year subscription to this site could be a very positive initiative...
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

Crown

I've owned dozens of amps including tubes and many high powered SS. I would avoid tubes like the plaugue but many say they are good!

For the money, <$500, go with a new XLS 800D Crown and kill the internal fanz. At 500 WPC, the unit is adequate for your L300s.

I recently bought a Nakamichi PA-7 (200 watts per channel) that sounds great with my L300a's. I run it at about 85% volume level and IT SOUNDS GREAt! I have the mid and treble set at about 3 because I have my 300s about 3 foot from the rear wall and I like the bass a tad heavy. This compares very closely with my Carver Amazing Plantinum's running 750 watts per channel.

Scott

If you like loud rock music

I have a guaranteed winner setup:

Jbl L300's with 2235 woofers
    ADA Cinema Rhapsody (original, Mach 1, Mach 2, Mach3 or Mach 4) a must.
    Nakamichi PA 7 or 7 A or Hafler 9500 or 9505.

If you like loud, hard hitting rock music, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!

You must have the ADA.(Audio Design Associates) BEST BASS.

This set up stands above all I have tried. The Anthem AV-20 preamp does not even come close to the ADA.

This compares very close to a maximum clean output into Carver Platinum Mark IV's.

Scott

When I had my Summits I used a Crown DC300 power amp and a Metron M1 pre-amp. I know thats not ultra high end electronics but the L300s handled it very well!

Good Morning, All,

We have used an old Harman Kardon 870 amp, at 100 wpc, with our wonderful L300's ever since we got them a few years ago. It has done a fine job of powering them to the levels we enjoy, which is moderate, and somethings a bit more. That amp has only failed to deliver the goods one time, and that was my own fault. Soon after we were blessed to find our L300's, which I had sought for more than 30 years(!), I tried to play a special high end DVD of the 1812 Overture! All was fine the first few times through it, and the L300 + HK 870 combination sounded just fine and quite powerful. BUT, I foolishly decided to crank it up "just a tad more", to better enjoy the glass being blown out of our house when the cannon went off!!! At the first cannon blast, the system IMMEDIATELY went totally silent!!! I thought, "Oh my Lord, I've KILLED our new L300's and blown up the amp"!!!!!

Turns out, I only forced the amp into it's protection mode, which activated instantaneously, saving the JBL's, and other components, from any harm at all. WHEW!! Soon, the amp and speakers singing along, merrily, as usual, and all was well.... the much-embarrassed owner of said system having learned a very valuable lesson on the merits of having more power than you think you might "need"!

But, aside from that one case of owner stupidity, our beloved L300's (with their 2235's) and powered by that 100 watt H/K amp, has sounded, and continues to sound, sweet, wonderful, delicate, powerful, rich, and completely satisfactory to us! For what it's worth..... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Thread Information