Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Channel Home Theater Test

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton

Hey, we've hi-jacked your own thread!
    Threads were made to be hijacked.

Since I was put down by Lancer almost immediately, we have been free do do pretty much what we want from the start. The lancer putdown is sort of like the bus going by as far as LH is concerned, isn't it? Think I'll have a stout, won't you all join me?

Clark-magnon in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47
    The lancer putdown is sort of like the bus going by as far as LH is concerned, isn't it?
    Vrrrooommm!

Smile

Partially quoted here, all true. I do like the old stuff, but seven 4345's are a little out of my reach (that's 3 1/2 % of all the units ever made!) and my room size. Still, on my budget, the classic monitors are such a bargain next to newer quality units. Imagine what it would cost to manufacture 4345's (or my 4333's) today. But you are of course completely correct.

My 60 X 2 JoLida is gathering dust in favor of a six wpc Grommes. These monitors are efficient...

Now, your Fluent French. Where? How? Not only did I miss the whole French Foreign Legion experience (DeGaulle isn't going to make me march in Paris carrying a shovel) but, Like Korben Dallas, I only speak two languages, English and Bad English.

Clark-Magnon in Peoria
    Well, hey, if it plays in Peoria...

As for the French, I first took it at Anthony Wayne High School (Go Generals!) in Ohio for two years in 1967-68 and 68-69.

Bonsoir, M. Fallows. Vous êtes un homme très gai.

Then I took two years at Spring Arbor College in Michigan, and a few years later I took a graduate course in French Lit at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland. That's where I found out how much more erotic French literature, drama, and Francophile women of ANY age were.

Mon dieu, le plaisir intense d'avoir le sexe linguistique en français avec une bonne femme! C'est toute la motivation que j'ai besoin.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    That's where I found out how much more erotic French literature, drama, and Francophile women of ANY age were.
    Well, I was right. I guessed you were either a "French Canadian" or, more likely, you had an ulterior motive to become very accomplished at French. That same motive has informed way too many of my decisions, so I am quite familier with it.

I heard Case was a very, very good school in a very rough part of town, but that was in the fifties and sixties. I'm sure it is still a great school, but I wouldn't know about the neighborhood.

Clark in Peoria, Listening to his ancient crappy speakers, ...
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Alex Lancaster
    Ti, lets cut the , I understand French and the French, it´s not worth it.

Talking Okay, now we're completely off thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lancaster
    Ti, lets cut the , I understand French and the French, it´s not worth it.
    Have you ever had a French, French-Canadian, or French-Caribbean woman talk to you about l'amour et sexualité?

It makes my eyes red just thinking about it.
    Out.

Hi, fellow ancient crappy speaker listener

"Clark in Peoria, Listening to his ancient crappy speakers"

Got the same affliction. Can't seem to let go of the 43XX speakers. I know we should upgrade to the platinum, neutron encrusted models, but something about the timbre reprodution of the older models still have there hooks in me. As far as MC, heck I am still waiting for stereo to catch up with some of the Mono recordings.

On the other hand JBL does seem to be heading the right way in MC with Project Array, they have horns!

I do have a moderate HT System to listen to movies. Just waiting to see if I'm going to need 7,10 or 50 speakers to catch up with the process. Right now 5.1 is doing me just fine.

As far as listening to music I still like the band to be in front of me rather than sitting in the middle of it.

Regards
    Fellow Heretic
    AL

Who said 43xx were crappy?
    You?

Not Me

Just a little sarcasm, learned it from the best. I love my 4344 clones.

Regards AL

Quote Originally Posted by alskinner
    I love my 4344 clones.
    That's what I like to hear!

Call me a holdout, but I am still not won over by 5.1 HT. .....I am also waiting for the media sources to catch up; the Pretenders still sound much better on VHS than DVD in some cases.
    I believe that one of the main reasons why the Tube/Vinyl/Analog afficianados have such difficulty with surrround sound systems is that virtually all surround sound formats involve some degree of digital-to-analog processing. And the assumption of most surround sound systems is that the source material starts out as either a DVD, CD, Satellite, MP3 or other digital format. That's not to say that today's surround sound systems can't play 2 channel analog source material. They all can. But developing the digital side is where the mainstream surround sound equipment manufacturers tend to channel their resources so the analog capabilities are often relegated. So to the analog purists that are waiting for the second coming of digital to finally match the sweeter, warmer, smoother qualities of analog, surround sound systems typically represent a compromise in the quality of their music. It is possible though to create a system that would provide both a high end analog system and a top notch surround sound system. Be forewarned though. If you want the quality you've grown accustomed to in a 2 channel system, be prepared to spend 2.5 times more for an equivalent 5.1 system or 3 to 3.5 times more for a 7.1 system. I think this is the other main reasons why the Tube/Vinyl/Analog afficianados have an aversion to surrround sound systems. In order to do a proper 5.1 or 7.1 system which is up to their standards involves a considerable additional investment. Some feel that the the additional benefits 5.1 or 7.1 have to offer are not worth the additional investment.

So we're back to your specific question: Will playing 2 channel video sound through large format JBL monitors be just as good as a 5.1 or 7.1 system. The answer is no if you're comparing a 2ch system to a 5.1/7.1 system of equal quality. (In fact my opinion is that you would be stunned by the musical experience a really good 5.1/7.1 system has to offer). But if you're comparing your hi end 2ch system to an average $3,000 incl speakers consumer level 5.1/7.1 system available thru Best-Circuit-Guys, you'll undoubtedly prefer your 2ch system.

So if you're relatively satisfied with the 2ch cinema-source performance you're getting from your current system, and don't want to go the full blown surround route, and if you have some extra pre-outs or main-outs on your preamp, you may want to try a powered subwoofer. And then you may want to add some additional JBL monitors (43XX or 44XX) for the rear speakers, powered by an identical or equal quality amp as you have now. Still wouldn't be true 5.1 but it would sure sound damn impressive.

Another reason HT is OK with me is that it's the HT guys that are going into houses like pigs after truffles and rooting out all the classic audio gear and putting it back into circulation (some of it).

David

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    Another reason HT is OK with me is that it's the HT guys that are going into houses like pigs after truffles and rooting out all the classic audio gear and putting it back into circulation.

David
    That's right...what am I thinking? Clark what I meant to say is that any surround sound system is going to be more modern than the old 30 year stuff you've been hanging on to. And we all know that newer is better. It will fit your room decor better also. You should sell me old nasty 4333's and then go out and get a nice modern Harman/JBL Northridge or L Series HT system.

There ya go!

(By the way, pardon my edit.)

David

I think HT gets a bad rap from lousy demo's poor set-up and an audiophille predjudice for digital formats in general. You don't need mega bucks to hear the advantages a well executed HT system has over 2 channel with live events as an example. All it takes is a well set-up entry level system to hear this. With us using large format monitors it would be hard pressed for any system to match the dynamics these systems can convey be it 2 channel or HT. As a matter of fact with the extra added channels and a sub an arguement could be made that you don't need 4435's all around in a typical setting. The demands of both formats are different. A typical HT system is designed to handle greater dynamic demands, higher average SPL's and greater LF extension than typical 2 channel media. These are advantages not disadvantages in coping with 2 channel sources. As far as imaging well a speaker doesn't care what kind of system it's in just room placement. An HT system can put an image anywhere in the room when properly set-up. As long as the front L/R are proper placed to image correctly you should be fine.

Rob

Thread Information