Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Charge Coupling on the Cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Rusnzha
    Originally Written by Ian Mackenzie

I rebuilt the crossovers in my L100s as charge coupled. I used Solens for the main caps and bypassed with .01ufd Theta caps. The most surprising benefit was how the low end tightened up. Since the woofers are wired stright from the inputs, I am curious why this should make such a difference.
    Can you clarify that?

Ian

While I don't want to turn this thread into a capacitor Yabbafest here is an interesting article on capacitors

http://www.ellisaudio.com/CrossoverComponents.htm

I also not Sonicraft has expanded their range of capacitors ..with many affordable varieties and other useful diy parts

http://www.soniccraft.com/products/capacitors/film.htm

Well I have re configured the charge coupled crossover back to the original equivalent (previously 4344 Hf & Uhf sections).

The subltes of passive crossover design are such that some things are best left unchanged. The voicing original equivalent is vastly superior....

I have also done some more development work on my active crossover.

I have a/c coupled the outputs and added speaker protection. Ac coupling helps recide ELF noise and avoids having any trickle of dc offset effective moving the voice coil off centre and therefore causing non linearity.

Because the output are balanced opposite phases, the degeneration cause by capacitors tends to be cancelled as it is in effect a common mode distortion. Currently I am trialling some Nichicon Gold fine Muse capacitors (Gold), they work very nicely. I plan to try some BG's soon.

It would appear class A and class A go hand in hand, actually AAA rated if you account for the class A Se power amps.

My own theory is that at a point where an original design JBL speaker is sufficiently dynamically and tonally accurate that what you heard is at least 75 % of the of the delivery signal chain and the source.

My point being there is a law of diminishing returns of more expensive or more recently produced loudspeakers systems. But perhaps there is much as 75% lattitude in attaining total listerner satisfaction by maximising the source and signal chain and the quality crossover is a key part of that as opposed to attemtping to reinvent/improve the original loudspeaker system design.

Perhaps this is where DIY plays a key part on the Lansing forums.

Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Some SA series Clarity capacitors arrived in the mail today to I will try them in the Uhf charge coupled filters.

It will be interesting to see how the perform subjectively

Clarity capacitors are used by leading UK brands including B & W and Tannoy.

http://www.icwltd.co.uk/sa.html

Ian

The Claritcap's certainly pass a lot more information.

There appears to be a lot more ambience and fine details compared to the bypassed polypropolyne metalised caps.

I suppose this is to be expected. I sense that charge coupling cleans - up the hashness of lesser capacitors making them sound smoother, and if bypassed will offer more air and space.

However, a capacitor is what it is and the quality of the film, foil and winding technique will determine the ultimate degree transparency and tonal accuracy.

Jeff said as much in his response to me regards biasing the Sonicaps.

Incidentally Audience advise charge coupling their Auricaps is unnecessary.

I would suggest having previously used both Hovlands and Auricaps that charge coupling of very good to premium capacitors is probably not going to offer any real improvements. On the other charge coupling its a great way to experience smooth clean performance of moderately priced crossover caps.

These are only my observations, but if you are insane enough to spend $2000-3000 charge coupling a complete passive crossover with Holvands you may well be justified with a claim that it makes it sound better on the way to the nut house! (the money would be better spent on a better source or amps)

Ian

Obsolete
    Jeff didn't seem real charged up about biasing SoniCaps several years ago when I talked to him on the phone.

Apparently so.

I note he has a new Sonicap now and a wide range of brands..

Ian

Obsolete
    Hmm, now he has GEN II's to bypass GEN I's with. I guess we'll get some to use in Project May since all those are GEN I's.

Michael Percy raved about the Dynamicaps he sells, which Jeff is now selling too.

Nice to see he has some polystyrenes available! Rumor in the industry was polystyrene was going away. I guess I need to snag some.

Mundorf Silver/Golds @ $191 for 10 uF.

ClarityCaps

- Here's E-Speakers' pricing for the SA line from ClarityCap .

- These have been the posted prices for a few months now.
    - It'll be interesting to see how well this price list holds ( maybe + 15% ) in the new year .
    - Is it after 3 positive reviews that prices jump ?

Attached Images Attached Images  

If it does your dealing with the wrong retailer.

Actually I wroe to E Speakers when they dropped Mundorfs, they said they were not prepared to pass on a sigificant price hike from the manufacturers.

Anyway I think the point is there no excuse for not trying these Claritycaps out, they are cheap and very good value for money.

Here's my supplier pricing, David has been an agent for some time.

http://www.ledeaudio.com/capacitors....R%20CAPACITORS:

They also have an elite range of weird looking caps
    http://www.claritycap.co.uk/DTAC.html
    http://www.claritycap.co.uk/pdffiles...tyCap_DTAC.pdf

I will try out some Blackgates in the active crossover outputs tonight

So..

Would you say that biasing or charging a ClarityCap is not necessary?

I am wondering because I am going to build a new network for my L250's when I get my 044Ti's. (already have 104h's). Does anyone have a recommendation as to what would be the best approach with some cost factors in mind. I am thinking I would like to keep parts price in the $500-$600 range or less.

I will take the battery off and let you know!

Give me a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    The Claritcap's certainly pass a lot more information.

There appears to be a lot more ambience and fine details compared to the bypassed polypropolyne metalised caps.

I suppose this is to be expected. I sense that charge coupling cleans - up the hashness of lesser capacitors making them sound smoother, and if bypassed will offer more air and space.

However, a capacitor is what it is and the quality of the film, foil and winding technique will determine the ultimate degree transparency and tonal accuracy.

Jeff said as much in his response to me regards biasing the Sonicaps.

Incidentally Audience advise charge coupling their Auricaps is unnecessary.

I would suggest having previously used both Hovlands and Auricaps that charge coupling of very good to premium capacitors is probably not going to offer any real improvements. On the other charge coupling its a great way to experience smooth clean performance of moderately priced crossover caps.

These are only my observations, but if you are insane enough to spend $2000-3000 charge coupling a complete passive crossover with Holvands you may well be justified with a claim that it makes it sound better on the way to the nut house! (the money would be better spent on a better source or amps)

Ian
    Thanks for this thread, Ian. Though I have no experience to contribute I wanted to chime in to say I am reading this with much interest.

DavidF

Good,

Nothing like a bit of diy fun.

Ian

Thread Information