Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Charge Coupling on the Cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Thom
    I didn't take it personal when whats his name in berkely basicly called me stupid. Just asked him what made him an authority.
    I said L200s were "stupid loud."

You took it VERY personal, apparently:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...274#post125274

I've quoted my last audition post to keep continuity:

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Alright,

What do they say, never make a speech in an empty stomach.

Firstly I want to talk about the program and how I am going to go about it.

This is not going to be a two minute or even an afternoon appraisal. It will probably take a week (and maybe more for logisical reasons).

One of the peculiarities of doing this sort of thing is its very easy to pass off an assumption unless you cover the subject fully. This applies as much to a recording as anything else..and of course the design characteristics of the loudspeaker in question.The same applies to listening. Quick A/b comparisons show up significant change, longer term listening shows up more subtle qualities and then there is refinement of the impressions. But initial impressions are important all the same particularly if you have a learned ear to a system and are familiar with the equipment. A trained ear is as always a useful skill. Not so much a narrow focus on spot frequencies and balance but having some degree of capacity to determine if something sounds like it should.

I have spent some time gaining impressions this afternoon and I will again later on. The plan is to trial the Clarity caps for a while tomorrow. Before I do this I will modify the filter boards with terminal blocks to enable more or less a plug and play of the capacitors. So there is some work to be done.

I then plan to go back and forth a few times during the week to get a more specific understanding of the qualities of the Solen Charge-Coupled capacitors and the SA Clarity caps. Pending the state of play during the week I will make a call on whether to order a selection of well known capacitors like the Hovlands but we can cross that bridge when we get to it.

During the week we can talk out what is happening, debate some observations and chew the fat. The offer to send over the boards is real and I see that as "Given" because I you need to try if for yourself and make your own mind up as often as not what is right for you can be a matter of taste an blending to you that "right sound."

So that to I reackon. Crickey that's a bit of an ask mate!

Eeny meeny miny, moe!

Solen Charge-Coupled network

Squeeky Clean

1. My initial impressions are of a very clean presentation, high frequency transients are well defined and tonality across the board is even but overall perhaps tad cool and clinical.

Linear would be a good way to describe it.

Does it sound for real, is all the information there and can I live with it?

Well that is yet to be worked out.

2. Second round of evaluations.

Cuts the grass but can it mowe the lawn

This is quite interesting. I have played a variety of CD's Jazz, Pop and so on. My impression is the Solens Charge-Coupled responded well to percussive/string instruments and electronics effects instruments like some of the Larry Carlton stuff I played earlier tonight. The detail and depth of the strings is well revealed with a seemingly polished presence.

Brass is perhaps less well presented and I felt continous notes in complex sections like James Morrison Live in Paris (I asked for the Blues) were less real sounding and at times flat sounding than when played with the Hovlands.Another favourite, Miles Davis Blue in Green sounded flat.

Ian

3. Third Round evaluations Clarity SA Capacitors (no-biased)

I have just changed one channel.

Initial impressions, a massive contrast in tonality and balance.

I will check everything before further comments:

ain
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ian:

did you listen to the solens unCC'ed?

Where the CC solens By-passed or just "as is". If not by-passed would that be possible? ( GT has by-passed them beforeI believe)

also, the Hovlands you've used, are they the same ones reviewed by Humble?

also, how about rating the caps like Humble does and comparing ( when it's over if you can)

thanks for the reviews so far.

Zilch,

I don't think I took it personal. I responded to it as though it was personal but with no anger. I just asked your credentials and expressed my dismay at not having known I was stupid when I was young enough for the information to have done me some good. You weren't taking any bait that day and and it was pretty obvious that it wasn't a personal attack. When I wasn't sure I didn't respond in anger. I'm, almost for sure, beating an issue to death. I'm told, by everyone, that I do that.

Of course I know of nellson I don't know him. I thought he was generally associated with Threshold and with playing with gas ionization speakers. In about 73 I new some people real well at a place called music machine and thet seemed to know what was going on at ESS before ESS did. Then some people left there made a perfectly horrible speaker, called themselvs "Sound Technology Research" I was already repping some other audio products so I agreed to take it on the road. Took me into an awful lot of audio stores. David Wayne Dwelly. Showed me through his assy line at DWD, have no idea if they were heavy enough to sink to the bottom of the world where you would see them or not, just a store brand anyway. All of this means nothing. I find this sight interesting. It's good to know who people are so you know what to make of what thay say when you cant verify it . Ian, you kept bitching about my composition,it took you till now to realize I can't spell? At one time all of the magic voodoo and witchcraft belonged to the "I hate JBL" side. Back then that was the only way they could compete. I've got a pair of KLH 1's here. Man what a big sound for such small speakers but dont try to play them loud in any thing larger than a closet. I wrote some letters to some mfgs' for a friend who was opening a high end store back in 73 and I couldn't believe the stuff that I had never heard of but every one that would buy it would be afraid to even whisper JBL it would have been sacrolage. Well today a lot of people build drivers that look as good as JBL I don't know if they are or not and........ ....... I really don't think this interests you but next time you are going to complain about how many members you have and how few post DON'T! YOU ARE RIGHT IAN, I AM WRONG. THERE ARE NO ELECTRONS. PLEASE ACCEPT MY APPOLOGIE !

This is quite interesting. I have played a variety of CD's Jazz, Pop and so on. My impression is the Solens Charge-Coupled responded well to percussive/string instruments and electronics effects instruments like some of the Larry Carlton stuff I played earlier tonight. The detail and depth of the strings is well revealed with a seemingly polished presence.

Brass is perhaps less well presented and I felt continous notes in complex sections like James Morrison Live in Paris (I asked for the Blues) were less real sounding and at times flat sounding than when played with the Hovlands.Another favourite, Miles Davis Blue in Green sounded flat.
    What I think we need to know at this point is are you hearing the intrinsic nature of the Solens or is it the intrinsic nature of the CC ( or both)

for example it maybe the basic nature of the Solens that sounds flat and less real sounding and not the CC itself. the CC might just be smoothing out and cleaning up what is already there ( or not there)

A simple modification (a 100 ohm resister across the woofers) appears to counter to a reasonable degree the effects of motional impediance that normally effects the 4345 system balance in full passive mode.(Special thanks to Passlabs; to Kent English for this mod and to Nelson Pass for assistance setting up the X250.5)
    I tried this tonight, and the first impression is that especially the lower mids was improved.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    Ian:

did you listen to the solens unCC'ed?

Where the CC solens By-passed or just "as is". If not by-passed would that be possible? ( GT has by-passed them beforeI believe)

also, the Hovlands you've used, are they the same ones reviewed by Humble?

also, how about rating the caps like Humble does and comparing ( when it's over if you can)

thanks for the reviews so far.
    Crikey,

I've only just woken up Mate. No. LoL....Muhahahaha.

Seriously, I want to do that last as it takes soem time for them to fully charge. yes I lan to Bypass them later on another round of evaluations (end of week) I cant be sure BUT, I think JBL may have used Mylar and bypassed in the charge coupled configuration at one point. This is one of the reasons I requested some sort of background from JBL.

On the ratings I that has already been doen if you know what I mean. I want to arrive at the strenghts and weaknesses of each option relative to this type of system. I think that is more meaningful.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    What I think we need to know at this point is are you hearing the intrinsic nature of the Solens or is it the intrinsic nature of the CC ( or both)

for example it maybe the basic nature of the Solens that sounds flat and less real sounding and not the CC itself. the CC might just be smoothing out and cleaning up what is already there ( or not there)
    What you say is exactly right .

I dont have enough evidence yet , its just a finding and I don't want to jump to conclusions. I think we should be able to determine this with some clarity within the next two rounds of evaluations. I mean if the Clarity caps do something obviously different we can then focus on non biased and bypassing of the Solens.

Ian

Thom,

Sorry it I am very busy today and I don't have time to respond to you block post.

Ian

Evaluation Round 3 Clarity SA Capacitors.

This evaluation was also quite interesting and full of surprises.

I played the same CD's Jazz, Pop and so on. My impression is the Clarity SA capacitors responded well to natural brass and string instruments like the Miles Davis and James Morrison tunes mentioned previously. There is a natural presentation of timbre and tone with fine details rendered with a smooth elegant quality.

Instrumental definition and clarity was never confused even in the most complex passages. The Eva Cassidy vocals on Live at Blues Alley were almost perfect.

The presentation was likened to the Hovlands in tone rendering while rock was more laid back but the details where always well integrated.

Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks for the update and info. I'll just sit back and read what you say....sounds like a good plan..

EVALUATION OF SOLEN CHARGE-COUPLED CAPACITORS AND CLARITY SA CAPACITORS

Summary of Evaluations:

Well as you can see from my notes both capacitors and the manner of topology offer different styles of presentation and tonality. I don't think there is any need to beat around the bush. The differences are not subtle. There is little need for further elaboration but I am happy to do more auditions on request, time permitting. I am also happy to try other capacitors if you send me samples. They will be returned run in.

You may ask which is right or best?

Its a matter of taste and your environment and obviously your loudspeakers.

Neither is perfect but offer choices.

My humble impressions in summary are:

I likened the Solen capacitors Charge-Coupled to the Auricaps in terms of the live character but they lack the finesse, sheer accuracy, tonality and balance of the Auricaps.

The Clarity capacitors (non biased) were likened to the Hovlands in terms of purity and tonality but again they lacked the finesse and ultimate resolving power of the Hovlands.

Conclusion:

The choice will depend on your speakers and amps and even your room. If you have a bright amp and use untreated titanium drivers in a live room look in the direction of the Clarity Caps. If you have a mellow amp and an all cone system or treated titanium drivers in a dead room the Solens Charge-Coupled may appeal more.

Incidentally my compression drivers have titanium diaphragms with an aqualpas coating and my amp is if anything a tiny bit warm but very smooth and transparent.

What is my choice? Well I am going to have another good listen to both but I sincerely doubt either will deliver the embedded desires of the Hovlands and Auricaps both of which I have used for an extended period with the current loudspeakers (JBL 4345).

Should I upgrade? Only you can make that choice.

You next question might be should I spend the extra money on the Auricaps or Hovlands?

Well if you can afford them then your system would be deserving because you could afford (have) a top notch system with top notch amps and everything that goes with it.

Ian

The fine print:

I am not affiliated with any of the suppliers of the capacitors or were they offered as free samples. I paid for everything out of my own pocket. I have not been paid to conduct these evaluations or influenced in any way by any individuals or organisations.

The evaluations were conducted without preference or prejudice and an open mind.

The above evaluations in no way imply or infer any opinion or reference to any JBL product currently in manufacture.

The contents of this report will not be copied, published or plagiarised (or misquoted) without the expressed permission of the author.

Copyright. Original work of Ian Mackenzie 2006

The Eva Cassidy vocals on Live at Blues Alley were almost perfect.

Ian
    Excellent choice for female vocals...one of my top favorite CD's

It's a shame we lost her so young.

Thread Information